Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sydney AFL News Articles

Sydney AFL News Articles

Lately I've hit the wall reading sydneyafl.com.au articles. I'm starting to question who the hell even gets paid to do this job. I know its not like theres a thousand sources for information, but for example on Round 4 Preview it says "UTS will need to contain the North Shore young guns like Round 3 Rising Star Jack Patten in order to really take it up to the Bombers."

Jack Patten's rising star nomination article was only a week ago and clearly shows that he plays for pennant hills. Does the person who takes upon this task even make basic contact with the clubs to see if they have anything?

Its also worth noting in the season preview the Ins & Outs were showing people who play in Div4 teams as clearances or tipping players who don't even play anymore (or have shown their face at a session) to lead the club in phelan votes. See here.

Not to slander Sydney AFL but if they are going to bother even doing write ups, it would be great to see some actual effort put in.

Not hard to work out that the weekly game reviews are provided by our own Norris Lurker, who could not possibly do more than see one or two games max per week when he is not stalking the GWS Jaffa's, and more often than not supplies no more than a commentary of the scoreboard and the weather.

I really don't know what the arrangements are, and if he is also the author of the other news items?

Don't know if he is a staffer of the AFL, if so, don't know if it's part of the job description, or he receives something as a freelancer?

... if it is no more than a voluntary pursuit by a footy tragic, then it is what it is, and fills a void.

If not, then it would be reasonable to expect a more professional job ... although, we are talking the AFL here.

Not sure why they don't just ask for contributions ... or simply plagiarise some of the pearls from this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by mrns View Post
    Lately I've hit the wall reading sydneyafl.com.au articles. I'm starting to question who the hell even gets paid to do this job. I know its not like theres a thousand sources for information, but for example on Round 4 Preview it says "UTS will need to contain the North Shore young guns like Round 3 Rising Star Jack Patten in order to really take it up to the Bombers."

Jack Patten's rising star nomination article was only a week ago and clearly shows that he plays for pennant hills. Does the person who takes upon this task even make basic contact with the clubs to see if they have anything?

Its also worth noting in the season preview the Ins & Outs were showing people who play in Div4 teams as clearances or tipping players who don't even play anymore (or have shown their face at a session) to lead the club in phelan votes. See here.

Not to slander Sydney AFL but if they are going to bother even doing write ups, it would be great to see some actual effort put in.
    agree mrns.
    if the fella who gets paid big bucks, expense account, corporate travel plus "perks" can't do better than he's doing now then I reckon he should get.........hum..............more megabucks, more girls, more adulation.
    Like us all, he only survives on cuddles.

Now is not the time for recriminations because one of his footy teams got belted on the weekend. Norris, bring your expense account over here and I'll give you a cuddle.

Almost Football Legend
    I see as much coin for what I do as some of the players that have been mentioned on this forum over the years. And that's OK - we all do what we do for love of the game.

I do the weekly review article, which is a copy & paste of what's on this site. I did notes for the Record a few years ago, but I don't have time to do that or anything else for the Sydney AFL website these days - between working a full-time job, club commitments & gallivanting around the country with my GWS antics, I'm completely flat out.
    I've got no idea who writes the rest of the content on the Sydney AFL website.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Completely aware of norris writing the round reviews. I have been reading these specific sub-forum for a year but decided to join recently.

I can't understand how hard it is to liaison with a club contact on a weekly basis. Elementary reporting.

Long story short, if someone is paid to do this. Why not go the full mile (not even extra mile) and actually do some reporting.

Thanks for clearing that up Norris - and keep up the good work!

Based on that, it does appear that it is only the voluntary contributors who earn a byline ... those who are paid to maintain the site at it's otherwise minimal level of professionalism, remain protected by anonymity.

Interesting that the major online presence for the Senior Code in the country's largest city doesn't even provide any information about who's who, either?

When you look for any info on who is running things, other than Lauren Bunting, you would assume that no one else is employed there ... ?

If she's the Ops Manager, and has to do everything else as well, the website is a credit to her ... otherwise it is a very poor effort!

Mick does a good job with his reviews. At least we have something to read on a Monday. Keep it up Norris!

I've taken to reading the BDAFL site, this comp misses Garry and his attention to detail.

Regular in the Side
    As far as I am aware the Sydney AFL will publish any article both online and in the Record submitted by any club.
    I assume it has to be relevant, non-litigious with a smattering of polysyllabic words.
    There are a lot of clubs getting around these days across the divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Boy View Post
    As far as I am aware the Sydney AFL will publish any article both online and in the Record submitted by any club.
    I assume it has to be relevant, non-litigious with a smattering of polysyllabic words.
    There are a lot of clubs getting around these days across the divisions.
    In case you are not aware as well as many others the Sydney AFL record is almost a figment of the imagination. The individual clubs are now expected to provide content and print the record at their own expense and then have enough copies available to distribute at their home games. I have seen only a few token attempts at providing a record as the majority of club VOLUNTEERS are also gainfully employed in full time positions outside of football. The football record that we have enjoyed for years has become a thing of the past and the League is poorer for that. The clubs paid for the record as part of the affiliation fees which go to run the competition.
    I do not know of any other major AFL competitions around the country that have no record available to the spectators.
    I certainly miss the days when Troy Garner made his way to as many games as he could in a weekend recording interviews with Club identities and presented his Sydney AFL radio show on Saturday mornings. At one stage we had 2 community radio stations broadcasting on Sydney football with team announcements on Thursday evenings plus the weekend shows. All this was and still is greatly supported by REDANDWHITEONLINE.
    I say bring back a good quality football record.
    The NSW Football Historical Society has copies of all the football records from the early days of the competition right up to the 2105 season. Unfortunately this valuable resource of our football history will cease as of 2016 unless common sense prevails.

... and with every game recorded now, how hard is it to get a staffer to sit down and watch 6 hours of footy and make some relevant comments?

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    In case you are not aware as well as many others the Sydney AFL record is almost a figment of the imagination. The individual clubs are now expected to provide content and print the record at their own expense and then have enough copies available to distribute at their home games. I have seen only a few token attempts at providing a record as the majority of club VOLUNTEERS are also gainfully employed in full time positions outside of football. The football record that we have enjoyed for years has become a thing of the past and the League is poorer for that. The clubs paid for the record as part of the affiliation fees which go to run the competition.
    I do not know of any other major AFL competitions around the country that have no record available to the spectators.
    I certainly miss the days when Troy Garner made his way to as many games as he could in a weekend recording interviews with Club identities and presented his Sydney AFL radio show on Saturday mornings. At one stage we had 2 community radio stations broadcasting on Sydney football with team announcements on Thursday evenings plus the weekend shows. All this was and still is greatly supported by REDANDWHITEONLINE.
    I say bring back a good quality football record.
    The NSW Football Historical Society has copies of all the football records from the early days of the competition right up to the 2105 season. Unfortunately this valuable resource of our football history will cease as of 2016 unless common sense prevails.
    With the community radio stations, did you get live broadcasts of the games? That would be a very cool thing, even to sit around watch the prems with the radio in one ear.

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    ... and with every game recorded now, how hard is it to get a staffer to sit down and watch 6 hours of footy and make some relevant comments?

Not even watch 6 hours, just use the highlight reel provided by Redonion

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    The individual clubs are now expected to provide content ...
    Or

Individual clubs have been given a marvelous opportunity to self-promote themselves to a captive audience.

Really, it's hardly onerous to type up a bit of blurb.
    give it to the game

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast