Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 7 V Essendon

Veterans List
    Crusty; I disagree. If you give a player a complete rest simply on the basis he may be tired, he loses match fitness and touch. I just don't get the give Papley a rest theory. The club will know if they think he needs resting or time in the 2's. Papley has shown nothing to indicate he is tired. On Rohan; if he is not ready to play 1's he doesn't play. He has come back from a serious injury. Put him in the 1's when he is not ready is a recipe for disaster. If he gets reinjured because he is rushed back, then he is likely out for the year.

When you are a top team, continuity of playing of that team is what takes you to finals. If in the few weeks prior to the finals someone needs resting, and we are in a good position, then that is the time to rest.

Agree on rohan. Very overated. If you have to rest someone it would be mcveigh who looks underdone

From what I read, Rohan had 9 touches ( in admittedly limited game time) in a 110 point win. Not exactly banging down the door. Good teams are ruthless at the selection table and despite Gaz being a bit of a crowd favourite, he's not an instant selection. Until he demands to be selected and there is an obvious spot for him, he should play Magoos. Simple as that. Dropping Papley for this game makes no sense to me. He's done the hard yards, and played more good games than bad, and wasn't our worst last week by any stretch. Along with that, his position is one virtually no one else on our list can play, it's a niche, front and square, roving, zippy small forward. Something we've sorely lacked. Mcglynn is a small forward/ mid but in a different mould. Rose offers something different again but at the moment it's Paps spot to lose and I don't think he has forfeited it just yet.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Agree on rohan. Very overated. If you have to rest someone it would be mcveigh who looks underdone
    The way to fix someone who is underdone is to rest them?

If you've got a steak on the barbie and it's underdone, do you take it off, or do you leave it on a bit longer, until it is done? How would resting McVeigh improve his match fitness?

Generally speaking, I don't think any of us on here are in a position to know whether a player is fit to play and at what level he should be playing at while building toward senior level fitness. I wouldn't second guess the decisions of the club in that regard. From what I can tell the club has been very conservative about players recovering from injury. That also goes for whether a player needs to be rested due to fatigue, soreness or player time management.

I would rate Rohan as a talented and promising player who due to injury has never had a large enough block of consecutive games to prove himself. He was starting to look pretty good last year before his hamstring injury. We'll never know how good Rohan can be until he can put in 30 or 40 games without interruption. If he's fit enough to play a full game, I would play him in the seniors as I think there's more to be gained than having him play against the GC Suns reserves. Rohan is the kind of player who can help us with our ball movement out of defence. We really could use a strong runner to give us another option other than just kicking to a contest.

Rohan played the greatest ever game by a half back flanker. Wayne Carey's words not mine. In a preliminary final as well.

He puts everything together on occasion. He could quite easily by the man who stops a Hawks 4 peat or a GWS maiden premiership. He is worth having in the side just for that purpose. He is a weapon!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    Rohan played the greatest ever game by a half back flanker. Wayne Carey's words not mine. In a preliminary final as well.

He puts everything together on occasion. He could quite easily by the man who stops a Hawks 4 peat or a GWS maiden premiership. He is worth having in the side just for that purpose. He is a weapon!
    I'll go with your weapon analogy. He is a misfiring weapon, better to zero him in the barracks, then gamble with him in the field. Could cost us a battle. Unleash him when he's ready.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Sorry anti McVeigh RWOers, Ma�ca is a seasoned footballer, not to mention the Captain, who can and should play a whole season, no breaks required. I cannot see the match committee dropping him unless for injury.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veteran Site Admin
    I thought McVeigh was pretty reasonable last week, and OK for his first game back the week before. Not sure what has sparked the suggestion the club should drop him. Bit weird really.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I'll go with your weapon analogy. He is a misfiring weapon, better to zero him in the barracks, then gamble with him in the field. Could cost us a battle. Unleash him when he's ready.
    Continuing the weapon analogy, Rohan is the "Red Baron". If the Swans can keep Rohan in the air then he will gun down a lot of the opposition.

Continuing the weapon analogy, Rohan is the "Red Baron". If the Swans can keep Rohan in the air then he will gun down a lot of the opposition.
    I agree to an extent but let's fine tune the engine and make sure the guns are loaded before hand. No harm in making him earn his spot, it's worked for many of our other youngsters, Tommy Mitchell is a great example.

Would you trust relationship advice coming from Wayne Carey? The guy could play football, but he is no better analyst then most of the hacks out there.

Facts being facts, Rohan has greatly underachieved in his career - I still blame that grub from North Melbourne, but frankly we can't just pick him on the basis that 'he puts everything together on occasion'. To be perfectly honest, one could mount a reasonable argument that he has only put it together on one occasion, being the game in question, and that the rest of his career has been spurts and glimpses of potential. I love how he takes the game on and he has all the attributes to be a top class footballer, but he hasn't shown anywhere near enough to become an automatic selection, on the basis of what appears to have been a pretty quiet return in the ressies.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeh but that ended great for the Red Baron in the end, didn't it...
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast