Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: They are at it again. GWS under the pump

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Great article from Rebecca Wilson. Really sets things straight on Crazy Eddie.

No Cookies | Herald Sun
    No Ludwig, it's not a great article. It's a skilful polemic: emotive, insulting and one-sided. It adds nothing to the debate.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Rebecca could have made an even stronger case if she had included the damage done to Brisbane by an Eddie-launched campaign.

And Richard Hines picks up a significant factor in the argument:

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Rebecca could have made an even stronger case if she had included the damage done to Brisbane by an Eddie-launched campaign.

And Richard Hines picks up a significant factor in the argument:

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph
    Already paying Rupert to watch the footy. No way am I paying to read that disgraceful rag.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    No Ludwig, it's not a great article. It's a skilful polemic: emotive, insulting and one-sided. It adds nothing to the debate.
    A gormless AFL Commission that takes Eddie's partisan word as gospel? Sounds pretty right to me. Where's the problem with that exactly?
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    It's written exactly as you say, but that doesn't mean Caroline is wrong or has written a poor article. The debate is about a one-sided individual - Eddie - sprouting his one-sided view, so you're going to get these op-eds that either take his side or don't. If Eddie was articulating a well thought out analysis of the pros and cons of the academy system (which he isn't), he would probably receive a more balanced analysis of his comments.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    It's written exactly as you say, but that doesn't mean Caroline is wrong or has written a poor article. The debate is about a one-sided individual - Eddie - sprouting his one-sided view......
    Spot on. When you are as biased and inaccurate as the Sphere of Influence then inevitably commentary about you will be polarised. Doesn't mean the commentary is wrong. In fact, when the Sphere talks as much demonstrably incorrect crap as he does, it is probably a sign that Rebecca's commentary is correct.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Sure the Giants got a lot of draft and other concessions as a start up club. They couldn't let them wallow in the doldrums and hope for success in 30 years. So now this club, the coaches, administrators and players have had their biggest victory smashing the reigning premiers. Can they take a moment to enjoy the victory after 5 years of struggle? No. Eddie has come to spoil the party by making the big story of the week the 'unfair' academy zone concessions that may yield some top talent in the draft in November. The Riverina had nothing to do with the Giants beating Hawthorn. Why can't the players just feel good about themselves and their victory? There's actually a footy season going on. We can deal with this later.

Same thing with the Swans. We're winning because we have an unfair advantage because of the COLA. Big issue right in the middle of the season. Get a good player FA, then slap on a trading ban. Someone looks good coming up through our academy, it has to be debated now. Can't wait till the end of the season. Let's knock down the Swans before he even plays a game.

Eddie is such a divisive and destructive force in football. He does everything at the wrong time and targets the wrong parties. It's not about the merits of the Riverina zone going to GWS. It's about the merits of having a club president and media personality dominating the football agenda whenever he so pleases and an AFL Commission too weak to do anything about it.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Already paying Rupert to watch the footy. No way am I paying to read that disgraceful rag.
    I see what you mean, and I agree. I ran a headline from the article on Google and read it from there.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Great article from Rebecca Wilson. Really sets things straight on Crazy Eddie.

No Cookies | Herald Sun
    Yes, Ludwig, I thought that it was interesting that she more or less describes the reasons why he may be suffering from Narcissistic Personality Disorder, without actually explicitly stating that she thinks that he's a full on narcissist. And of course, for Eddie, and many other high profile, opinion forming media types, the diagnosis of NPD is probably on the money. That is, he displays the typical narcissistic traits of an inflated view of one's own self and the descent into paranoia if things if things don't go to plan.
    With Eddie, this is probably the most evident when seen in the light of Collingwood's continual mediocrity. That is, the Collingwood football club, is possibly the thing that Eddie cares for most and a thing that he's put a huge amount of effort into over the years. And with the narcissist's excessive self regard, the last person that they blame if things don't go to plan, is themselves. So it's highly unlikely, that Eddie will be thinking that maybe there's something wrong with his management style. He probably is not thinking, that maybe he has given a long term contract to a crap coach. Nor would he be thinking that there might be something a bit wrong with his beloved Collingwood's culture. Instead, he will be looking for the unfair reasons why Collingwood are not in their rightful place at the top of the premiership tree.
    So, ignoring all the advantages that both he and Collingwood have been given, he is now voicing his paranoia from his privileged media positions. We're not to blame; it's the fault of the northern academies, it's the fault of COLA payments, it's the fault of the draft system, etc, etc, etc.
    And of course, during this process, he is also displaying another tell tale sign of the narcissist; that is, he has almost no sensitivity when it comes to how his comments may affect others, but a sense of outraged persecution when others reply to his comments.

No it adds nothing but it does add a different voice with a discerning view to Eddie's at the very least.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Veterans List
    The problem with Colliwobbles is they have recruited poorly. They have structured their their forward line recruiting around a flawed big man and when I watch them they look overall a small side. They have a very ordinary list that last year was touted as the best emerging list. This failure can only come down to the coach and football department. Sadly for their supporters they are in for a very long drought.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    No it adds nothing but it does add a different voice with a discerning view to Eddie's at the very least.
    Very few in the Melbourne media stand up to this man because they all belong to the same clique. They don't dare endanger their AFL accreditation. Remember that poor bugger from Channel 7 who reported of the medical records of AFL players found in a street outside a medical clinic, with the support of Channel 7 I might add, who was summarily sent to Siberia, never to be heard of again.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast