Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: They are at it again. GWS under the pump

Quote Originally Posted by DA_Swan View Post
    Stick it to him when you get it right !!! last weeks apology by Pridham was embarrassing from someone in his position - hopefully he learns from it
    I agree with Pridham's strong defence of the club but at times he does play the man a bit too much with Eddie. Humour works best in this instance, like the Darren Jolly Cup response to Eddie's suggestion we play them for the Adam Goodes Trophy.

He's good for us but just has to pick his moments a bit I feel

All he needs to say is "I'll stand by the Swans through the good times and the bad - at the moment there are no bad, but you know what I mean"
    Would love to hear it, but if it was said, you just know that the Swans will slide down the ladder lol
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    From this discussion, its easy to see how the Swans academy is perceived by other teams thinking we get a huge leg up. My thoughts are that we get reward for expanding the talent pool and rightfully so.

While we may think that 25% isnt enough enough of a discount for our own academy graduates, for GWS they ONLY get 25% reduction to draft costs for the kids they push from the Riverina. Obviously the same % figures, but its a matter of perspective.

Perhaps some of the rules about kids boarding in Melbourne need to change, but if they help provide a pathway, its only 25% so whats the difference in the scheme of things if the number of kids drafted from the area expands.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

About Eddie, I was interested in what his heartland thinks so I did some reading of BF Pies posts this arvo. There does seem to be a general consensus that his time is up. But also a great fondness for what he has done for the club. Annoyingly, this fondness is closely linked to their hatred for interstate clubs. e.g. the following 2 posts were typical:

"If it wasn't for Ed, then the Bears would still have additional $$$$ to pay for players, COLA $$$$ to the swans etc etc etc. He is the only one who has the guts to tell the AFL that it is not a level playing field. All the other Vic teams don't have guts to say it." Ummm, no ... the other Vic teams were busy winning premierships - Hawks, Cats.

"If it weren't for Ed the northern clubs would all be unbeatable (still may happen with GWS) and we would be broke."

So instead its OK for Brisbane to now be in deep trouble?? So does Eddie have the guts to tell the AFL that Collingwood getting all the Friday night TV games is not a level playing field?; that having the richest non-player budget is not a level playing field?; that him having a dedicated daily microphone at MMM to push his own agenda is not a level playing field?; etc etc.

IMO, Eddie has both created this monster but is also a product of it. If he moves on, someone with a similar mindset will move in.
    CIA Agent to Policeman: "Have you ever had anti-terrorist training?"
    Policeman: "Yes, I was married once."

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Matimbo View Post
    About Eddie, I was interested in what his heartland thinks so I did some reading of BF Pies posts this arvo. There does seem to be a general consensus that his time is up. But also a great fondness for what he has done for the club. Annoyingly, this fondness is closely linked to their hatred for interstate clubs. e.g. the following 2 posts were typical:

"If it wasn't for Ed, then the Bears would still have additional $$$$ to pay for players, COLA $$$$ to the swans etc etc etc. He is the only one who has the guts to tell the AFL that it is not a level playing field. All the other Vic teams don't have guts to say it." Ummm, no ... the other Vic teams were busy winning premierships - Hawks, Cats.

"If it weren't for Ed the northern clubs would all be unbeatable (still may happen with GWS) and we would be broke."

So instead its OK for Brisbane to now be in deep trouble?? So does Eddie have the guts to tell the AFL that Collingwood getting all the Friday night TV games is not a level playing field?; that having the richest non-player budget is not a level playing field?; that him having a dedicated daily microphone at MMM to push his own agenda is not a level playing field?; etc etc.

IMO, Eddie has both created this monster but is also a product of it. If he moves on, someone with a similar mindset will move in.
    Not to mention the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Matimbo View Post
    If he moves on, someone with a similar mindset will move in.
    Mindset - perhaps, but not with the same platform and power. Eddie has his own radio program, appears on just about every other radio station and footy tv program. He's a game commentator. He owns or is a shareholder in a load of media enterprises. And yes, to top it off, he is also the president of Collingwood.

It's like what Rupert Murdoch has done with Fox News in America. Murdoch has used his media dominance to create a megaphone for the Republican Party. I believe the station's motto is 'Fair and Balanced'. You decide. That's what Eddie says. He's doing it all for football, not for Collingwood or for himself. He's so benevolent and altruistic, he would have you believe. Eddie creates the biggest uneven playing field in that he shouts over everyone else's voice and tries to drown out anyone who disagrees with him.

There should be a cap on the number of stupid things a club president can say. If there were, Collingwood would be over the cap by noon on January 1st.

Eddie McGuire Collingwood: AFL club boss threatens to quit

I don't like this joke -

Meanwhile, McGuire has joked he is planning to establish a McGuire family dynasty at Collingwood and doesn�t want to leave his position at the helm of the club until one of his sons are ready to step up as his successor.

Wouldn't it be great if his kids were selected in the draft by Sydney and GWS....
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if his kids were selected in the draft by Sydney and GWS....
    ....using a future pick they received in the trade period the year before from Collingwood for somebody in the Jesse White mold.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Cheer_Cheer View Post
    Eddie McGuire Collingwood: AFL club boss threatens to quit

I don't like this joke -

Meanwhile, McGuire has joked he is planning to establish a McGuire family dynasty at Collingwood and doesn�t want to leave his position at the helm of the club until one of his sons are ready to step up as his successor.
    What an inappropriate comment for a president to make. Collingwood is not a family owned enterprise like Visy or News Corp. Eddie serves at the pleasure of the Collingwood members. The Collingwood board should take him to task at the next board meeting for making innapropriate governance comments.
    Last edited by Luke Shannon; 10th May 2016 at 06:38 PM.

Veterans List
    Wow, what a strange person.

What he saying is that things at Collingwood have gone sour and i have no idea what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Mindset - perhaps, but not with the same platform and power. Eddie has his own radio program, appears on just about every other radio station and footy tv program. He's a game commentator. He owns or is a shareholder in a load of media enterprises. And yes, to top it off, he is also the president of Collingwood.
    This is the biggest issue re: Eddie - if not for being Collingwood president, he has no relevance and would most likely lose all those platforms. And he knows it, and will say and do anything to cling on to his relevance.

Compared to other club presidents who have built successful careers in unrelated fields (business, politics etc) and can just focus on what is really important to their club and the game, and don't rely on being president to maintain a career or sense of identity.

He does now seem to be quite rattled and lost control of his rhetoric - finally senior journalists are voicing criticism and calling him out on a lot of his crap, and even Collingwood people are fairly passive in their support when he would have been expecting a roaring 'you can't go Eddie, we need you' endorsement.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast