Thread: GWS and it's impact on your club - Please Answer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Could not agree more with the posts on this page (still not sure why mr Wills/Shepherd's view on the subject is so blinkered and obscure?)

That Brochure is a wonderful piece of fantasy, propaganda and misdirection at the very least ... which was what they gave you when you spoke face to face to them anyway.

I recall at the time, the very first thing they did when their first draft of players arrived in town, was to house them all in million dollar waterfront apartments in Breakfast Point, about 30ks from their "spiritual home" at BIS Park - living the "rowing club" lifestyle, so close to the latte and restaurant strip of Balmain/Liechhardt would immediately give any young 19 yo from the bush an insight and appreciation for "western" Sydney culture.

In saying all of that, the anecdotal evidence is that they are being more proactive in the schools and junior clubs, and that is to be encouraged. Now that they are having success on the field, it is the opportune time to ramp up their efforts in the west, and for goodness sake, get some smart people on board who have fresh ideas.

I agree that they are less responsible for senior club development, but how about playing a few senior games that feature Western Sydney clubs (not just Blacktown Magic or Auburn, and NOT MANLY!) as curtain raisers for home games, or their NEAFL games? I remember the Swans used to do that at one time, feature the SAFL match of the round as a curtain raiser.

Here's a thought, rather than randomly assisting the odd club that changes it's name to Giants (terrible name anyway) with new kits, wouldn't it make more sense to place their logo on EVERY jumper at every club at every level that is within their catchment area? They are all required to have the AFL logo, it would not cost a cent, and at least drive some sort of attachment and loyalty. Swans could do the same.

They just need to remember they are not in Victoria, so don't just do what they do ... maybe a study of what the Wanderers have done would be worthwhile, and just plagiarise that!

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Could not agree more with the posts on this page (still not sure why mr Wills/Shepherd's view on the subject is so blinkered and obscure?)

That Brochure is a wonderful piece of fantasy, propaganda and misdirection at the very least ... which was what they gave you when you spoke face to face to them anyway.

I recall at the time, the very first thing they did when their first draft of players arrived in town, was to house them all in million dollar waterfront apartments in Breakfast Point, about 30ks from their "spiritual home" at BIS Park - living the "rowing club" lifestyle, so close to the latte and restaurant strip of Balmain/Liechhardt would immediately give any young 19 yo from the bush an insight and appreciation for "western" Sydney culture.

In saying all of that, the anecdotal evidence is that they are being more proactive in the schools and junior clubs, and that is to be encouraged. Now that they are having success on the field, it is the opportune time to ramp up their efforts in the west, and for goodness sake, get some smart people on board who have fresh ideas.

I agree that they are less responsible for senior club development, but how about playing a few senior games that feature Western Sydney clubs (not just Blacktown Magic or Auburn, and NOT MANLY!) as curtain raisers for home games, or their NEAFL games? I remember the Swans used to do that at one time, feature the SAFL match of the round as a curtain raiser.

Here's a thought, rather than randomly assisting the odd club that changes it's name to Giants (terrible name anyway) with new kits, wouldn't it make more sense to place their logo on EVERY jumper at every club at every level that is within their catchment area? They are all required to have the AFL logo, it would not cost a cent, and at least drive some sort of attachment and loyalty. Swans could do the same.

They just need to remember they are not in Victoria, so don't just do what they do ... maybe a study of what the Wanderers have done would be worthwhile, and just plagiarise that!
    All great ideas. I think it illustrates the point brilliantly, smart brand/fan strategy but with a local context attached. Their window to really "launch" will not be open forever.