Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for R 10 V Kangas

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    Not sold on AA either; lacks pace.

Be better to have Abe Davis; height and pace.

But Papley needs to stay in the seconds; when we are up against quality opposition he goes missing.
    I expect Abe Davis to be the better player, but AA is probably quicker than Abe and perhaps by a good margin. Davis can play anywhere, but has spent most of his time up forward with stints in the midfield. It may be more about knowing what to do than the ability to do it.

Once Reid is back, Abe can offer another tall marking target up forward, allowing Reid to play in defence. I think Reid would make an excellent #1 forward, but with Buddy playing so well, he wouldn't see that much of the ball and everyone would question his contribution to the side.

If Richards isn't right it'll be Reid in. Longmire's comments suggest as much while the absence of mentioning Allir suggests that he's not trusted to be ready for a game like this, yet.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Pushing for Selection
    Good news is the master tagger Ben Jacobs will be missing. Pretty sure he shut hanners down in the final last year. They do get Daniel wells (pending fitness test on wed) back but hopefully he is a little rusty after a few weeks out

Quote Originally Posted by veramex View Post
    Good news is the master tagger Ben Jacobs will be missing. Pretty sure he shut hanners down in the final last year. They do get Daniel wells (pending fitness test on wed) back but hopefully he is a little rusty after a few weeks out
    Yes, I also brightened up a bit when I noticed that Jacobs was out. Another big game for Hannebery, I think.

Warming the Bench
    I think Teddy will be rested. Harry Marsh or Aliir to come in

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I actually think reid will be our long term key defender. When is he due back ?.

Otherwise i agree. Allir in.
    SCG suuts mcveigh so gets another chance
    Longmire has stated his plan at the start of the season was Reid at CHF. I agree with Longmire he is far better in the forward line than in the backs. Talia will be the other KB when fit and in time Aliir. I thought Reid was very good for most of the season last year at CHF.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    Don't we have other defenders in the reserves aside from Allir and Xavier?

Marsh & Newman are almost ready but both are not KPP & Newman would have to be upgraded. Melican but again he is a third tall Back not a true KPP. again he's a rookie. That's it really.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    There's a reasonable chance that North will bring Mason Wood back this week after missing the Carlton game with concussion. I think we'll have to plan to bring in a tall(ish) defender to cover this possibility. Aliir would be interesting if he came in and played on Ben Brown as Aliir was taken 3 picks before Brown in the 2013 draft. It could be a good matchup, but I'm not sure who would come out on top. Aliir could add some rebound pace which would be helpful. Marsh could do so as well.

From Horse's press conference I would think that Ted won't play and Reid will come back through the reserves. We might be eyeing Reid to return against GC the following week to give him senior preparation for the GWS game where he might be needed to cover the tall athletic Cameron.

Petrie has been down this year and Waite seems to be fading somewhat from his great start to the year. I'm sure their talls will kick a half dozen goals, but even against and- undersized defence I don't think they will make enough of a difference to take out the game.

If you listened to Horse, he said he prefers Reid forward. CHF in fact. The plan was always to play him at CHF that is why we traded for Talia and fast tracked Aliir. From what Horse said his mind hasn't been changed on that tack. I'd suggest that Reid will play the Suns game if he gets through the reserves game this week. Macca would have to play a blinder this week as he would be getting some pretty quizzical looks from the coaching staff due to his form after his late start. In fact if he doesn't start to put in good performances he will be kicking the dew. Not might, will. We have plenty of depth and if you put in two bad ones you had better perform in the third or the swinging door will be opened.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    If you listened to Horse, he said he prefers Reid forward. CHF in fact. The plan was always to play him at CHF that is why we traded for Talia and fast tracked Aliir. From what Horse said his mind hasn't been changed on that tack. I'd suggest that Reid will play the Suns game if he gets through the reserves game this week. Macca would have to play a blinder this week as he would be getting some pretty quizzical looks from the coaching staff due to his form after his late start. In fact if he doesn't start to put in good performances he will be kicking the dew. Not might, will. We have plenty of depth and if you put in two bad ones you had better perform in the third or the swinging door will be opened.
    Sam Reid is definitely in our best 22 and it's great that he has the flexibility to play forward, back or even in the midfield. I think the plan probably was to play Reid forward and Rohan in defence, but we might be struggling at times this year with tall defenders with Talia injured and Richards having problems getting going with a variety of mishaps. Where he plays will probably be determined by how things are going on the injury front and the opposition forward line. Over the longer term it will be influenced by where we play some of our emerging players. Davis and Dawson will both look to be pushing for selection next year and have played mostly forward in their junior careers. A positive development of Talia and Aliir will push Reid toward the forward line. It seems that a combination of circumstances will be the decider.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    If Richards isn't right it'll be Reid in. Longmire's comments suggest as much while the absence of mentioning Allir suggests that he's not trusted to be ready for a game like this, yet.
    That was also my interpretation. Longmire intimated he wanted to pick Reid in seniors and then suggested him as a possible replacement for Ted. The difficulty finding someone further up the ground to make way for Reid is a contributing factor, I suspect.

He won't have to if Ted is out, it'll be a straight swap.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    He won't have to if Ted is out, it'll be a straight swap.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Yep.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast