Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Giants Swans Derby Tickets

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Do people have "second" teams?
    That's just weird.
    You either follow your team or you don't.
    Ah Annie that's the curse of this game. One is never enough, you want more and MORE - it becomes an insatiable desire.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    That's just weird.
    Do you have a link to support that?

That's just weird.
    +1!

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I might be wrong, but weren't the Crows a "manufactured" club also. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a SANFL club called Adelaide prior to the Crows joining the AFL. And while I am it, the West Coast Eagles??? I know Freo have a WAFL team tie up, but the Weagles?. Seems to me the AFL has been dreaming up clubs for awhile now. Has Freo been a success? This year will be their 22nd year without a flag, and currently they are in brutal battle with the Bombers to avoid the wooden spoon.
    Yes, the Crows and WCE were "manufactured" but came from a supporter base that were crying out to be a part of the AFL. However, Freo came from a successful club - or at least supporters of Freo in the WAFL jumped on board when they started. All of those teams had some sort of footy history, directly or indirectly, which has given them a real head start. Contrast that with GC and GWS...

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Do you have a link to support that?
    It's a fair opinion, (in my opinion), not a statement (like I presume you are referring to a previous post)

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I might be wrong, but weren't the Crows a "manufactured" club also. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a SANFL club called Adelaide prior to the Crows joining the AFL. And while I am it, the West Coast Eagles??? I know Freo have a WAFL team tie up, but the Weagles?. Seems to me the AFL has been dreaming up clubs for awhile now. Has Freo been a success? This year will be their 22nd year without a flag, and currently they are in brutal battle with the Bombers to avoid the wooden spoon.
    Difference between the Crows/Eagles & GW$ is that SA&WA are football mad states. They were losing players to Vic & were desperate for representation. Port coming second satisfied probably the oldest & largest non-AFL club. The WA market was big enough for Freo

That's just weird.
    It used to be any team outside Victoria playing one from Victoria was my second team. No offence to Swans fans in or from Victoria, it's more an anti-AFL establishment thing rather than a Victoria thing. I've always supported my local team in whichever sport I follow, that's just me. Once Sydney got a second team it was natural that I felt that way. I can't fight it, it's just me.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    Yeah, maybe "history" & "soul" are transportable across town and from one league into another, you'd have to ask a local Crows fan who doesn't go to SANFL games anymore. Maybe 26 years constitutes history for them now. Setting up new teams in Adelaide & Perth was not so difficult because there were already a lot of people who liked footy, and a population base that was just big enough to get sponsors on board. Which was just as well because the AFL was pretty skint back then. I often wonder about the effect on the SANFL & WAFL of having these AFL teams gobbling everything up. Look at Tasmania where the local leagues are a shadow of what they were in the 60s & 70s. And they don't have
    an AFL team (Hawks & North rockin' up a few times a year for a payday doesn't really count). "History" & "soul".... they can be pretty fickle.

There are no defined rules on how to follow AFL. Anyone who tells you what you do is weird, just politely tell them to get the f out of your life.

Life is not black and white, its many shades of grey

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I wouldn't say I have a second team, but do enjoy watching good clubs play an exciting brand of football. The Giants and Bulldogs fall into that category.

I think it's great that GWS are playing a good brand of football and look near certain to play finals this year. I would love to see a legitimate rivalry grow between the Swans and the Giants like the one they have in Adelaide. It's the best thing that could happen for NSW football.
    Very well put it describes my feelings exactly.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    There are no defined rules on how to follow AFL. Anyone who tells you what you do is weird, just politely tell them to get the f out of your life.

Life is not black and white, its many shades of grey
    At last Barry posts a comment that doesn't cause me to question my ability to comprehend his thinking

Goes up to 11
    That's just weird.
    Oh cmon Annie next you'll be telling me I can't hate Collingwood any more than any other clubs..... ????????????????