Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants Swans Derby Tickets

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Does anyone else hate late Sunday arvo games or is it just me?
    Nope. Especially not on a long weekend.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Annie, yes you have the right to attend any game you wish and for whatever reasons.

I personally think your reason about not wanting to support GWS is narrow sighted for the good of the game and AFL in Sydney. I'm a fanatical, bleed red and white supporter who travels to Melbourne, Adelaide or wherever to support my boys...so heading to Spotless is a real bonus as an away game. It's also away games that our Swans need our support more. I'm a Primary School Teacher in Western Sydney and despite my very public proclamations of the Sydney Swans over many years, many of the children resonate more with GWS (their local team, as they call it). But what it has created is more children playing AFL (both boys and girls) at school, more footies being kicked on the school oval and more footy banter between children, staff and children/staff. This has been great for the game of AFL.

So...I will always barrack for the Swannies, I hope we smash GWS on Sunday as I have a genuine hate for them as our 'rival' however, from a footy in Sydney sense, I hope they succeed over the long term and bring AFL more to the masses.

Also, I believe that finals are actually listed as 'AFL' games thus majority of the $$$ for these goes to the AFL rather than the home team like in H&A matches.
    I totally concur with Matt on this .
    It's so much more interesting having another team in Sydney .
    Sheeds did an excellent job helping to lay the foundation for such an optimistic vision to bring the game into western Sydney .
    TBH I don't know what's not to like about it. I mean there's 10 teams in Melbourne .
    I'm an avid Swans supporter too and I'm enjoying the Giants growth and development.

It will do good things for AFL in Sydney.

Go Swans ... By 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I haven't yet broken the news to them that when they die they are not going to heaven, but rather to Spotless Stadium.

One step at a time.
    Soulless and Spotless: it somehow seems appropriate. Or maybe a particularly mercenary legal firm?

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Sheeds did an excellent job helping to lay the foundation for such an optimistic vision to bring the game into western Sydney .
    Really? Do you really believe that?

He came up here and basically insulted everybody and thought that because he was Kevin Sheedy that would be enough.

Like, what if we parachuted Phil Gould down into Melbourne as the NRL Ambassador to win over the heathens.

Nothing typifies the arrogance of the AFL and their naivety more than that appointment. I don't remember the exact stats but barely anyone in the real West of Sydney (Cabarita doesn't qualify) even recognised a photo of his arrogant mug and few actually cared.

Yeah, they'll sell out this weekend because we'll be there but the silly talk now is that because they have a decent team they have succeeded. Blind Freddy could see they would get a decent team with all their draft picks, in fact if they don't win at LEAST four flags in the next 10 years then they will have under-achieved.

The arrogance and lack of engagement with the local community, and front square and centre in this is their total disregard for the local AFL Community in Western Sydney (cue sponsoring Manly) is something they had one shot at and with an egomaniac like Sheedy at the helm they never thought it was important, how could they when they had The Most Famous Man in Football as their Coach.

GWS will be AFL's Vietnam, mark my words. Their success will bring more problems than solutions. They will struggle to get more than 10,000 regularly in that little play pen of theirs (most either free of massively discounted) with its surreal and ignorant matchday experience where apparently you still need to offer a has been artist from the 80s or 90s for a day at the footy to be worthwhile.

The whole thing is a manufactured and fake experiment. Unlike the Gold Coast, who actually busted a gut for a team, nobody in Western Sydney ever asked for or wanted a team. We were told by the AFL we wanted one, the arrogance of it all is breathtaking. They'll never be close to profitable and their slow incline points to a 20 year acceptance test. I just cannot see the AFL, with Jellyback Gillon at the helm, having the stomach to pay the long game given the heat they'll attract. I expect them to be relocated to either Canberra or Tasmania within 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Thanks ludwig
    Please send to :

Barry Barry,
    C/o ANZ stadium
    Homebush
    NSW 2121

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    I hear that the AFL has put the MCG statue of Kevin Bartlett on the back burner in order to fast track a statue of you at ANZ Stadium.

barry stature.jpg

A Jarrad McSomeone will be doing the commemoration. I believe they wanted a footballer with qualities that matched those of the venue.

Goes up to 11
    Mug Punter had absolutely nailed it there.

And I wonder by how much we'll pump up their average attendance this year? It'll be an overwhelmingly Swans crowd out there on Sunday yet the AFL will point to that as a sign of success for GWS.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Really? Do you really believe that?

He came up here and basically insulted everybody and thought that because he was Kevin Sheedy that would be enough.

Like, what if we parachuted Phil Gould down into Melbourne as the NRL Ambassador to win over the heathens.

Nothing typifies the arrogance of the AFL and their naivety more than that appointment. I don't remember the exact stats but barely anyone in the real West of Sydney (Cabarita doesn't qualify) even recognised a photo of his arrogant mug and few actually cared.

Yeah, they'll sell out this weekend because we'll be there but the silly talk now is that because they have a decent team they have succeeded. Blind Freddy could see they would get a decent team with all their draft picks, in fact if they don't win at LEAST four flags in the next 10 years then they will have under-achieved.

The arrogance and lack of engagement with the local community, and front square and centre in this is their total disregard for the local AFL Community in Western Sydney (cue sponsoring Manly) is something they had one shot at and with an egomaniac like Sheedy at the helm they never thought it was important, how could they when they had The Most Famous Man in Football as their Coach.

GWS will be AFL's Vietnam, mark my words. Their success will bring more problems than solutions. They will struggle to get more than 10,000 regularly in that little play pen of theirs (most either free of massively discounted) with its surreal and ignorant matchday experience where apparently you still need to offer a has been artist from the 80s or 90s for a day at the footy to be worthwhile.

The whole thing is a manufactured and fake experiment. Unlike the Gold Coast, who actually busted a gut for a team, nobody in Western Sydney ever asked for or wanted a team. We were told by the AFL we wanted one, the arrogance of it all is breathtaking. They'll never be close to profitable and their slow incline points to a 20 year acceptance test. I just cannot see the AFL, with Jellyback Gillon at the helm, having the stomach to pay the long game given the heat they'll attract. I expect them to be relocated to either Canberra or Tasmania within 10 years
    Ouch but seriously MP what do you really think about GWS ?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Does anyone else hate late Sunday arvo games or is it just me?
    Hate is a strong word I don't mind them, especially before a public holiday. My favourite time was the old 1:10 slot, but success + TV schedules = not many of those any more.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post

It was such a long time ago now that I don't really remember, but I wonder were the people of Sydney clamouring madly for a VFL team to be moved up here back in 1982, or did the VFL just decide Sydney should want a team?

At the time that South were moved to Sydney the Vic government didn't allow broadcast of VFL on Sundays. The Vics were so desperate to watch Sunday footy on TV, Channel 2 used to broadcast the old VFA.
    The solution, move South to Sydney play their games on Sunday and bingo you have VFL on TV on Sunday.
    Even back then TV requirements were determining the footy schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Annie, yes you have the right to attend any game you wish and for whatever reasons.

I personally think your reason about not wanting to support GWS is narrow sighted for the good of the game and AFL in Sydney.
    That's fabulous.
    I'm still not going.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Yes, they'll sell out this week (I can see them rubbing their hands together).
    Next game, they'll be back to a crowd of 2,000.

Anyone who has a mild interest in the AFL in Sydney, is a Swans supporter - whether they go to the game or whether they watch it on TV.

I can't wait until they piss GWS off to Canberra or Tasmania.

There's only one team in Sydney.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast