Page 38 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: AJ Watch

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    +1 he looked good.

Should have rested Tippett for 6 years and he might have come back just in time to take over from Buddy’s contract when it expires
    Yeah, not on his salary.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Not sure whether this article got a run on here last week, but lovely words from Shaw here about AJ https://www.playersvoice.com.au/rhyc...g-human-being/
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Not sure whether this article got a run on here last week, but lovely words from Shaw here about AJ Alex Johnson return for Sydney Swans story by Rhyce Shaw - PlayersVoice
    Thanks mcs, I hadn't seen it. A good read, and I could almost hear the voice of Shaw!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Every time this thread comes back to life I am almost afraid to look in case it is bad news.
    I agree with dimelb with it being a good read.

Yep, I was the same Yvonne.
    Probably should retire this thread until he gets injured again.
    Hopefully retired for good.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Yep, I was the same Yvonne.
    Probably should retire this thread until he gets injured again.
    Hopefully retired for good.
    I was hoping not to have to post on this thread but after today I’ve been giving this some quick objective thought. This might be an unpopular suggestion but if it’s an ACL for AJ (which is looks like) in his “GOOD” knee, how about a LARS graft and another rookie contract.

Back in potentially 3 months - like David Rodan - so realistically in time for pre-season.
    If it goes well, he shouldn’t loose too much match fitness.

If AJ wants a final crack, a LARS graft could give him minimal time off (essentially 2-5 games, depending on finals). If he did get back, who would rather on out list ... AJ or Pink, Foote, maybe Marsh, possibly Rohan, possibly Jack and even Hanners. If AJ’s knee fails one last time, just a rookie spot wasted.

We'll AJ and his doctors know a lot about his knees and what works and what doesnt.
    Big decisions coming up for him and the swans. Can we wait another year.?

I unfortunately think it's time for AJ to hang up the boots. For his good ACL to go in such in innocuous event would indicate that he is probably predisposed to this type of injury. He will be 27/28 by the time he gets back into the team and his position could be taken by a young rookie.

Could we employ him as a coach in some aspects?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We'll AJ and his doctors know a lot about his knees and what works and what doesnt.
    Big decisions coming up for him and the swans. Can we wait another year.?
    With a LARS graft, he doesn’t have to wait a year. He’ll be 27 if he comes back smoothly. So long as he has no infections and the graft holds (which isn’t a biological tissue healing thing, hence the shorter rehab & recovery time).

James Podsiadly made his debut at 28

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Could we employ him as a coach in some aspects?
    Like he has been for 6 years? I’d say that’s a certainty

With a LARS graft, he doesn’t have to wait a year. He’ll be 27 if he comes back smoothly.

James Podsiadly made his debut at 28

- - - Updated - - -

Like he has been for 6 years? I’d say that’s a certainty
    I hope so. Would be a bit loss to Footy if he doesn't continue in some form. Hopefully for us.

Veteran Site Admin
    I was hoping not to have to post on this thread but after today I’ve been giving this some quick objective thought. This might be an unpopular suggestion but if it’s an ACL for AJ (which is looks like) in his “GOOD” knee, how about a LARS graft and another rookie contract.

Back in potentially 3 months - like David Rodan - so realistically in time for pre-season.
    If it goes well, he shouldn’t loose too much match fitness.

If AJ wants a final crack, a LARS graft could give him minimal time off (essentially 2-5 games, depending on finals). If he did get back, who would rather on out list ... AJ or Pink, Foote, maybe Marsh, possibly Rohan, possibly Jack and even Hanners. If AJ’s knee fails one last time, just a rookie spot wasted.
    The same occurred to me. I guess a question for the doctors is whether the infections he got after his 2nd and 3rd reconstructions were in any way a reaction to the artificial graft. None of us can even guess.

It's completely up to him whether he wants to keep going again. Well, OK, not just up to him. The club has some say, but it irritated me no end to have commentators calling an end to his career five minutes after it happened. There will be many considerations for Alex and the club but I don't think occupying a list spot is one of them. As others have said, the last spot on the rookie list has little opportunity cost for the club. An alternative might be to delist/retire him, keep him around the club to support his rehab (and employ him in a coaching role), and then redraft him a year later if he recuperates OK and wants to keep going. There is no other club in the land who would jump in and draft him ahead of the Swans if both he and they wanted to redraft him.

Still early days yet and no decision needs to be taken by him or the club for a while yet.