Page 6 of 60 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: AJ Watch

Veterans List
    The kid is a legend if only for his perseverance and positive outlook through out this nightmare, but of course to us Swans, for much more....and here's hoping he can add to that status in the coming years, back ON the field. Go AJ!! Positive vibes always......

Can someone clear this up for me.

I was under the impression that AJ has done his knee "once" and isn't back due to complications/infection.
    He hasn't actually done his knee twice its that he hasn't had a successful surgery ?

If this is the case surely there is a more positive outlook from his Reco if successful and he shouldn't be spoken about in the same mould as Morabito or Menzel who had multiple events of knee injury

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Can someone clear this up for me.

I was under the impression that AJ has done his knee "once" and isn't back due to complications/infection.
    He hasn't actually done his knee twice its that he hasn't had a successful surgery ?

If this is the case surely there is a more positive outlook from his Reco if successful and he shouldn't be spoken about in the same mould as Morabito or Menzel who had multiple events of knee injury
    I think he did get back from injury but re-injured in a pre-season game. It may have been an intra-club, either way I am pretty sure he has done his knee twice.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I think he did get back from injury but re-injured in a pre-season game. It may have been an intra-club, either way I am pretty sure he has done his knee twice.
    I think this is right, pre-season game. However I'm pretty sure he said it still didn't feel great when he went on that day

Senior Player
    If you believe Wikipedia, the original injury was the 2013 NAB cup match. Two reconstructions that year, injured again early 2014 in a reserves game.

Alex Johnson (Australian footballer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm losing count but I think he's up to 5 reconstructions now.

Thanks for that,

From reading a few stories its seems he only did it in the Pre-Season game (that's why I hate Preseason crap) and has since just had infection complications resulting in 10 Operations.
    It reads as if he has only tore the ACL once

He did it the first time in a NAB Cup match at Blacktown and the second time 15 mins into a practice match against GWS reserves at Spotless. It may not have felt great, but he took a few marks and had a 60m run with 3 or 4 bounces just beforehand and looked sensational...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Not really. They are essentially recons each time to fix the ACL with the same rehab protocol. However, AJ will probably have greater atrophy from disuse, potentially poorer proprioception is he hasn't had the opportunity to re-train it (given he's had so many ops over such a short period of time). The unknown risk of potential further infection. Each time a traditional recon is done, the graft heals at the same rate. Depending where the donor tissue comes from (if it's an autologous graft using his own tissue), there will be discomfort fro the donor site. The unknown quantity of his mental fortitude will also impact - though my uninformed impression is that with AJ, that point will be as positive rather than a negative.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Not really. They are essentially recons each time to fix the ACL with the same rehab protocol. However, AJ will probably have greater atrophy from disuse, potentially poorer proprioception is he hasn't had the opportunity to re-train it (given he's had so many ops over such a short period of time)...
    Thanks as always for your insight GS.
    I find it remarkable that AJ has persisted this long. Definitely deserves another chance.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Do we think he will continue coaching if, heaven forbid, this one fails?

Thanks as always for your insight GS.
    I find it remarkable that AJ has persisted this long. Definitely deserves another chance.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Definately understandable to persist when you consider the opportunities for business in later life as well as the money he could make if he recovers.Still doesn't detract that he obviously is one ornery
    critter !

Senior Player
    Great pics today of AJ commencing running around the SCG, cheered on by teammates. Think there's something in my eye.

EDIT: OK there were pictures on Twitter - looks like they deleted for some reason.

EDIT: and they're back

https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/stat...30912884830208

Page 6 of 60 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast