Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paying U19s?

Paying U19s?

Interesting offer by one senior Sydney club. They are already talking to u17s players about joining them next year and offering $500 to them and their junior club if they play Div 1 next year. If that's all the have to offer to attract junior players then they are in trouble. Is this the thin end of the wedge to more financial madness?

Unless it's your local club, surely it would cost more than that in petrol to get there for training and games?

Wow interesting development. I think this year has shown how important the recruitment of talent is for the Sydney comp. Sides like North Shore are seeing the fruits of some years of developing their program plus a very strong emphasis on recruitment. Their club is now rich with talent. Other clubs have not done much in the recruiting space and it really shows as they are sliding down the competition. I think the competition for talent will hot up and more incentive programs will arise. We already see it in place, for example:

Sydney Uni; offers reduced entry requirements for uni degrees, hence they are stacked with local and interstate talent taking advantage of that program
    North Shore: a well developed junior recruiting program, and strong links with the Swans Academy
    In under 19s, South Coast Thunder have done a good job positioning their under 19s as a south coast rep side.

If I was recruiting for a coach for the Sydney comp, out of the various characteristics I would be looking for, the ability to recruit talent would be the highest followed by leadership and culture.

Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    Interesting offer by one senior Sydney club. They are already talking to u17s players about joining them next year and offering $500 to them and their junior club if they play Div 1 next year. If that's all the have to offer to attract junior players then they are in trouble. Is this the thin end of the wedge to more financial madness?
    Care to name names or at least a compass direction?

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    Care to name names or at least a compass direction?
    Think south of Sydney.
    Think of a club that recently had 5 teams and is now down to 3, and one of those is a joint venture.
    Think of a team that was recently at the top of Div 1 but now languishes towards the bottom end.
    Saviour you don't need to answer. No helping ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Wow interesting development.

If I was recruiting for a coach for the Sydney comp, out of the various characteristics I would be looking for, the ability to recruit talent would be the highest followed by leadership and culture.
    If you get the leadership and culture right, plus quality coaching, the players will follow and they will stay.

Wow interesting development. I think this year has shown how important the recruitment of talent is for the Sydney comp. Sides like North Shore are seeing the fruits of some years of developing their program plus a very strong emphasis on recruitment. Their club is now rich with talent. Other clubs have not done much in the recruiting space and it really shows as they are sliding down the competition. I think the competition for talent will hot up and more incentive programs will arise. We already see it in place, for example:

Sydney Uni; offers reduced entry requirements for uni degrees, hence they are stacked with local and interstate talent taking advantage of that program
    North Shore: a well developed junior recruiting program, and strong links with the Swans Academy
    In under 19s, South Coast Thunder have done a good job positioning their under 19s as a south coast rep side.

Attraction of u19s is certainly critical for long term success, but I'm just not sure that 'buying' u19 players is the solution. Lots of other things need to be done to create sustainability and make people want to play and stay. Plus my fear is it creates a bidding war for junior players that is not sustainable. History has shown the troubles clubs can get themselves in to when buying players. Time will tell though.

Does it rhyme with shower?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Does it rhyme with shower?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
    You're getting very warm Pekay.

Ah, this old chestnut. How many kids do we have playing Under 19s lured by 'reduced entry requirements' to university? Especially ones from interstate. And how would we go about negotiating this with the university? Please tell me, I'd be interested to know.

Almost Football Legend
    Any club that has that sort of money to throw around and would spend it that way has more dollars than sense. I find it hard to believe.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    Ah, this old chestnut. How many kids do we have playing Under 19s lured by 'reduced entry requirements' to university? Especially ones from interstate. And how would we go about negotiating this with the university? Please tell me, I'd be interested to know.
    SU doesn't offer any discounts but the perception in the community is you do.

I have an email (I've changed any names) from the father of a kid from Drummoyne I coached for several years telling me why he went to SU U19s:

I had heard that the Balmain Tigers were trying to get the under 19s back and running in 2015. Unfortunately we had decided to give Junior a run next year at Sydney Uni as he is looking at studying there when he finished his HSC next year. In the end we felt the �chance� of Junior getting any type of scholarship toward his University education would benefit Junior in the long run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast