Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 15 MDT Sydney V Western Bulldogs. SCG 16.35pm

Veterans List
    We were missing someone yesterday: A. Stretcher!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    We were missing someone yesterday: A. Stretcher!
    Yes, if he had played a Swans' win would have been a lay down misere!

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I've watched it a few times again (4:10 on the highlights package) and I still can't work out exactly what Hanners was thinking. The umpire clearly signalled which way the free kick was going. Hanners had clear sight of the umpire. He actually kicked the ball to the umpire as there was no Bulldog or Swan in the vicinity. Then he begins pointing towards our goals and pleading his case. Did he think it was our free?

It wasn't a harsh fifty, it was correctly adjudicated.
    Fair enough then Ugg - no excuses for Hanners then, that was just what how it appeared to me at the ground but from a fair way away.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Can anyone think of a team that came top4 or won a GF with as many debutants as we have this year and with as many players with such little footy games played at Snr level ?

I can't in the last 15 years or so

We are doing very well in 2016

Very well and we will get better at these tight games last qtr

Our young ones are learning very fast

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I agree that the 2 calls you pointed out were probably wrong, but were close, and you can understand how in real time an umpire can make a mistake. There were others that went our way, such as Buddy having Morris in a headlock then a penalty called on Morris for holding and the then there was the handball called a throw that directly led to a Swans' goal. You just have to hope those questionable calls even out in the end.

If you think the penalty doesn't fit the crime, you're not the only one. There are always debates about what the rules should be. Perhaps you should write to the AFL Rules Committee.

I think the AFL want the best umpiring possible. Most of the umpires have been around for a while and are quite experienced. It takes a fair bit of time at lower levels just to get a chance at AFL level. So what's wrong? Are the AFL just choosing the wrong people to umpire? Is the training program not up to standard? Is it a problem that starts at junior level? I don't know if you watch the weekly Whistleblowers videocast on the AFL website. Some of the more controversial call are discussed by with umpire boss Wayne Campbell. I find it very instructive.

You seem to be suggesting that the current lot of umpires be sacked and replaced by another group. Do you have any idea where these new and better umpires will come from?

Dont pay stupid technical free kicks that kill momentum. The hawks are great beneficiaries of this, how many times in the last couple of years has our momentum been killed due to umpire Stevic pulling a technical free kick out of no where? Then pow hawks pile on the goals. Or awarding them very soft free kicks in front of goal? Where do you think the free kick hawthorn meme came from?

People mention how grand finals are never over umpired and how it results in a fair and good contest, why can't this be applied to the normal season? Why must it only occur in finals and then the big game?

Sorry but I will agree to disagree. The current state of umpiring is so bad it opens itself up to a lot of unsavoury possible outcomes and with the AFL and gambling in bed with each other atm..well..you like a good conspiracy don't you ludwig.

But its ok I will accept its part of the game and everytime we play concede 3 goals from terrible umpire decisions, makes the game a lot more fun and wins feel more satisfying knowing that we not only came back from 3 goals down, we also beat a team who had an extra 3 men on the field. Its part of the game �\_(?)_/�
    Last edited by kilroy; 3rd July 2016 at 09:02 PM.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Ove watched that again, and it's 50/50 at best. The goal was going through even if he didnt mark it, so the dogs deserved a goal and swans deserved to conceed one.

The umps can only call what they see. Even if it was a push the ump may have been obscured. Happens in all sports.

You cant blame the umps for the loss.and its pathetic to try
    Buddy gets pinged all-the-time for less. He just has to put one finger on a defenders back or side and free kick to opposition.

Another area of umpiring i would like to see stopped - picking out certain players and applying different rules to them. Another facet that leaves me gobsmacked as to why its been accepted as part of the game.

Umpires should not under any circumstances apply different rules to their favourite or disliked players.

I don't think that happens. Some players push the envelope more than others.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

On the veteran's list
    There are swings and roundabouts. There were a few we should have got but buddy got a free when he had Morris in a headlock, stringer had his arm dragged down when marking in front of goal, bullies got pinged for a throw when it was a hardball and we got a goal so we can't really whinge.

I don't think that happens. Some players push the envelope more than others.

I agree Barry that there are players that push the envelope more than others - but there are a group that get far rougher treatment than others, and that is the big key forward. Look at the crap Barry Hall went through with umps, players like Matthew Richardson, and now Buddy is a decent example (there are plenty of others). If Buddy got half the calls of some of the umpire's darlings going around in the competition at the moment, he would be well on the way to being the all time highest goalkicker in VFL/AFL history. Defenders know they can get away with so much on him, and probably only get pinged once, maybe twice across a game.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    Dont pay stupid technical free kicks that kill momentum. The hawks are great beneficiaries of this, how many times in the last couple of years has our momentum been killed due to umpire Stevic pulling a technical free kick out of no where? Then pow hawks pile on the goals. Or awarding them very soft free kicks in front of goal? Where do you think the free kick hawthorn meme came from?

People mention how grand finals are never over umpired and how it results in a fair and good contest, why can't this be applied to the normal season? Why must it only occur in finals and then the big game?

Sorry but I will agree to disagree. The current state of umpiring is so bad it opens itself up to a lot of unsavoury possible outcomes and with the AFL and gambling in bed with each other atm..well..you like a good conspiracy don't you ludwig.

But its ok I will accept its part of the game and everytime we play concede 3 goals from terrible umpire decisions, makes the game a lot more fun and wins feel more satisfying knowing that we not only came back from 3 goals down, we also beat a team who had an extra 3 men on the field. Its part of the game �\_(?)_/�
    I agree with a lot of your sentiment Kilroy, in particular around the game being over-officiated at times, which can really ruin what it is all about - which is the footy, not the umpires.

I wouldn't use barry hall as an example of umpy bias. We won a flag because he GOT OFF a clear suspension in 2005 prelim.

I wouldn't use barry hall as an example of umpy bias. We won a flag because he GOT OFF a clear suspension in 2005 prelim.

He didn't 'get off' a clear suspension at all (this is one of those falsehoods that has perpetuated ever since our flag).

It was downgraded after the club successfully argued it was 'in play' rather than 'behind play' - he was still guilty, but was under the 100 points needed for a one week suspension. The club was utilised the AFL's example provided earlier in the season in regards to demonstrating behind play/in play to help support the defence case.

Hall cleared to play in grand final - AFL - Sport - smh.com.au

What happened at the judiciary is irrelevant anyway to the discussion being held here.