Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd16 MDT. Geelong V Sydney. 19.50 pm at SS.

Veterans List
    and Pies in front of GWS at half time, now that would do our top 4/top 2 changes a world of good if the Pies can win that.

We have serious list management decisions at years end, can't see us making too many changes, Ted is the obvious retirement, maybe Benny, X looks gone. Almost all of the others on our list have done enough to keep, several are works in progress like Hiscox, Galloway, Murray, Melican.

ND picks, 18, 36+, 54+ :-)

Nobody has mentioned Lloydy. I think he is a pivotal player for us. As we bring the ball out of defence he seems to be the linchpin. He joins the dots. I love his run and carry and ability to make space where there seems to be none. He always gets 20 or more disposals and generally uses it well. He has improved his kicking for goal on the run this year no end. I think he is working with Nick Davis heavily. He was always a really great set shot but his kicking for goal on the run let him down. this year he has kicked some really great goals on the run.

This game we didn't make the same mistake we did in the Dogs game. We didn't allow them to have an extra in defence. That is how Cats, Dogs, Hawks, Giants set up all their attacks from defence, by having an extra who can run the ball and create the overlap. We didn't allow that and even put Teddy on Henderson to keep him honest and take him out. Well done Teddy, Henderson got SFA. The other thing we didn't allow as opposed to last week was a ruckman to dominate, especially in the centre square. Naismith won the HO in the centre square and gave our mids first use. The only reason Cats were doing well early was Danger and that mainly because you can't touch the bugger.

Our young blokes played with confidence, aplomb & vigour. At the start of the season there were many who moaned loudly at our perceived lack of depth. I kept saying it then and I'll say it now, we have so much talent on our list it is frightening. Our reserves are top of the ladder only having lost one game with a percentage of 250. We would have beaten GWS if we had as many listed players in our team as they did. There are quite a few players in the reserves, yet to play a game, who would fit in quite nicely and play a role. Newman, Foote, Dawson, Xav, BJ, O'Riordan, Davis, Melican & even young Murray look very good. If you have this kind of depth, talent & dedication, you are just as well off as having experienced depth, probably better off because they are the future not the past.

Our hardness at the ball, ball use and team spirit was at the fore last night. Boy do we do well out of the rookie draft. Jack, Ramps, Naismith, Lloyd, Papley, Reg, Smithy. Not only that we have drafted so well we last year play a first year player in Rose to add to Heens. This year we play Mills & Papley. Let's take our collective hats off to Kinnear Beatson.

Who were the arm bands for this week?

I don't mind Ling as a commentator. As a former Geelong great, calling a Geelong game at the Cattery, Lingy is a remarkably un-biased commentator.

McAvsney, on the other hand, is very ordinary. Over the top enthusiasm, man-crushes, & the unnecessary reference to Charlotte after Jack kicked one of his latter goals.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Donna Jack ?

Veterans List
    Ludwig, you are a very good judge of a footballer's talent. You have nominated both Alir and Naismith as being up to the task way back at the start of the season. Who else will debut for you this year?

By the way, has anyone noticed that Nick Smith is back in form.

Dean Towers.... I thought he was too soft but he really has improved in this area. Now for his disposal, but is finding the footy a lot more and consistently throughout a game. 54% efficiency last night.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Billy Williams.....passed away.

1945-1951
    124 games
    180 goals
    Best and fairest � 1946, 1947, 1950
    Swans team of the century

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Ludwig, you are a very good judge of a footballer's talent. You have nominated both Alir and Naismith as being up to the task way back at the start of the season. Who else will debut for you this year?
    Thanks Nico, but to set the record straight, I was not pleased with our selection of Aliir in the 2013 draft, and didn't give him much chance to make it until this year. The improvement in his game has been remarkable. But now that he's made the big step to AFL level, I'm thrilled that we've clearly found that key defender we all thought we needed to trade for. It makes such a difference going forward. I have a lot of confidence in Talia and Aliir being an integral part of the Swans future.

I've been saying for a while that we will go into the finals with a Naismith-Tippett ruck combo if both are fit, which is always a bit iffy with these 2. Even though I don't think Nankervis is quite up to AFL level footy yet, he's got a lot of room for improvement and is already a better option than Sinclair, who simply offer too little in the ruck, forward and around the ground to warrant a spot in the side. Abe Davis would be better option in a bind.

I thought Newman was next logical choice to come into the seniors, but with the Foote elevation that seems unlikely now. But I hope we elevate Newman at the end of the year. He's been very consistent and has a good all around game. Maybe we'll see Foote given a game or two once we play a weaker side than next week's game. I also like to see Abe Davis get a game or 2 this year.

Otherwise, a rested Heeney looks the most likely to come back in the side, probably for Rose. A number of the dropped and injured players, Reid, Marsh, McGlynn, Cunningham and Laidler, followed by Tippett and Talia in August (hopefully), look to be more than enough in reserve to carry us through the season.

My smokey for next year is a mature ager named Alex Johnson.

I was annoyed at Towers how he didn't communicate with Mitchell when he got rundown. Never said, "watch out," or nothing. He just watched Mitchell get tackled and sighed to himself. Thought this was really poor play. Maybe Towers is just a bad communicator?

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    yep and we have drafted so well. We have drafted kids and look what is happening. Our reserves has a percentage of 238 & it is only going to get bigger with a 95-11 margin at half time today. Look at who we drafted in the last two to three years; Heens, Mills, Papley (rookie), Aliir, Robinson (I still think Robbo is a player), Towers, Dawson (has kicked 3 so far today), Newman (Rookie, BOG so far and so many times this season), Jordan Foote (Rookie, BOG so many times this year as well), Murray (Rookie, is turning out quite nicely & uses the ball so well potential replacement for Smithy), Rose. Sorry if I left anyone out. But the point is we have some awesome talent on our list. At the start of the season people kept saying we had no depth & I kept saying look at the talent and the new players who are ready togo. Dawson, Papley, Mills all ready for action. Foote now upgraded, by the way he deserves every plaudit we can give him. This bloke is a bit like Kirkie & Ramps, there were questions on his ability, not now. His disposal is improving week by week. Hardest at the ball I've seen since Mark R\'Roo' Ricciuto a real bull.
    What I like is we have switched from drafting too many what I'd call 'athletes'/project players which seemed to be the vogue there for a while, to focusing more on getting players in that have footy smarts, and have other areas they need to improve. The strategy is starting to pay some rich dividends, and I hope it continues.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    I was annoyed at Towers how he didn't communicate with Mitchell when he got rundown. Never said, "watch out," or nothing. He just watched Mitchell get tackled and sighed to himself. Thought this was really poor play. Maybe Towers is just a bad communicator?
    He's a youngish guy (in terms of senior footy experience, rather than earth years) who comes across as a bit of an introvert and is still gaining confidence. Yes, it would have been nice for him to have screamed out something to Mitchell, but Mitchell had the ball for an age, in a crowded area of the ground. He knows he's not quick. He had to expect a tackle was coming.. It was poor play but I think Mitchell needs to shoulder most of the responsibility.

He more than made up for it as the game progressed. Thought he was sensational around the stoppages, dishing off quick handballs that mostly found their mark.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    For goodness sake - blaming Towers for Mitchell getting run-down.
    I thought Towers made a big contribution to our fantastic win.

Veterans List
    Tigers doing well against Dogs....it's all falling into place, heh, heh, heh!!

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast