Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 17 MDT. Sydney V Hawthorn. SCG. 19.20 pm.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I know I won't be well received for this, but my disappointment is already fading.

We've have 2x6 day breaks. A bunch of 1st & 2nd year players in the side, who only have a hand full of games under their belts. No Tippett. No Heeney. Laidler, Reid & Talia out - any one of them would bolster a backline that isn't the strongest in the league. Playing with a very inexperienced ruck division. Lost to the ladder leader. We've lost 4 games by less than 2 goals (not easy to swallow, but if things had gone our way a little bit more in those games we'd be feeling a lot better). 3 of the close losses were against Adelaide, Dogs & Hawks ... all genuine contenders.

I, for one, am still proud of the endeavour tonight against quality opposition. The loss hurts me as a supporter. But seeing the boys in tears in the rooms after the game ... they are hurting more than I ever will. We are still a contender in an even season. We are still a contender - for a team rebuilding on the run, by blooding new talent & restructuring in the absence of key players.

This pain will fade. The players will learn. A couple of decent wins will ease the disappointment .,, bring on Carlton

.... Oh & I hate the Hawks!
    This is pretty close to my thoughts. I've not read the whole thread (only this page, indeed) but if it weren't for how close the ladder was (and hence how valuable the four points would have been) my pride in their endeavour might almost overcome the disappointment. Oh, and if were any other than bloody Hawthorn who, despite not really playing well for much of the season, are now pretty much guaranteed top four and probably top two.

After the Dogs game I was gutted and angry because that was a game we were on top of for long enough that we really should have won. This game we were clearly the better team in the first quarter (but didn't get sufficient score on the board), the Hawks were clearly on top in the second quarter (but didn't score as heavily as they usually do when they dominate periods of games), and the second half was just a see-sawing spectacle of two completely opposite styles vying with each other.

I don't get the comment that the Swans were outcoached. I thought more of the game was played on the Swans terms (ie with the ball in dispute) than the Hawks' terms. Their foot skills are so good that when they are able to control the ball and move it with short passes, it's really hard to stop. But we did turn the game around after half-time and gave ourselves more than enough opportunities to win. We just blew it (again) at the end.

I am starting to get really excited about what Aliir might become when he gets more confident and feels ready to take the game on. In his senior games thus far he's shown a bit of a tendency to go for short kicks. In his favour is that he generally nails them, but there have been a few times (especially tonight) where playing on and/or a longer, more adventurous kick might have been better. But his marking, his reading the ball, his positioning around contests, his clean hands off the ground -they all indicate he has the makings of a very solid defender.

Loved watching Gaz tonight. Even in that second quarter, when we couldn't turn any of those half-chances into a score, most of them came about because of a piece of brilliance from Rohan. He really understands how to use his speed in ground ball contests and knows that practically no-one can catch him when he sets off. His timing in marking contests has improved markedly, and his kicking for goal was a joy to watch.

Papley is another who continues to surprise me with how comfortable he looks at this level for such a young fellow. His ability to kick 50m goals is a really asset, as well as his in close work and the pressure he applies.

Some of the other younger guys had less of an impact than in past weeks but none of them looked overawed, and I still think we're capable of giving things a shake at the business end of the season.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I still see the future in Towers.
    Not only would I not trade him, I'd keep on playing him.
    Now or never to a point, but I think he is doing well overall ATM
    I'm with you. I thought he did far more good than not tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't sit and analyse every good and bad thing he does, nor do I look into his stats and use that info.
    I just like what I see. I currently feel more comfortable when the ball is in his hands than McVeigh's, and I'm not really rippin McVeigh here, I'm happy with him in the side ATM, but I still feel uneasy when he has it.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

He competes well and makes solid contributions mostly. I think the obvious answer to the problem is to not have him on the ground at the end of the game when its there to be won.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    . I currently feel more comfortable when the ball is in his hands than McVeigh's, and I'm not really rippin McVeigh here, I'm happy with him in the side ATM, but I still feel uneasy when he has it.
    I really hope he retires at the end of the season, or at the very least steps down as captain.

Senior Player
    I am disappointed but hell I think all things considering they have done well. I think we have lost ourvtop four spot now and wont get it back. Can a team win from bottom four cos of bye and what if our final is against GWS. I hate the hawks, i think they get the umpire calls and i think people forget that the hawks dont travel and play mostly atbthe MCG. IF the other teams like Richmond and Collingwood had been really competitive in the last couple of years they would have given hawks a run for their money with the mcg advantage. I still think brisbane were a better team as they did it hard

Warming the Bench
    Thanks Go swannies, Liz and others for helping to ease the bitterness before I go to sleep.
    Feel for Jones, didn't look great. Geez I loathe the evil empire, wait the bitterness is starting to return.. Must sleep.
    Go swans!

Senior Player
    I have no doubt with all our cattle back on the ground eg. Tippett, Heeney and hopefully Reid, that we'll bounce back when it counts. Well i bloody hope so...

Cant see Reid coming back this year

I think I'm mainly disappointed because it's Hawthorn. We're still in a very good position with a fairly kind draw to finish. Unless we have a lot of injuries, we'll be right there at the business end.

Just a few observations:
    - Lloyd is a bit of a frontrunner
    - Very pleased that Rohan is putting it together. I doubted that we'd see this sort of form from him.
    - McGlynn looks cooked.
    - McVeigh struggles in those hot games.

Veteran Site Admin
    I actually thought McVeigh was pretty good tonight too...

In terms of top 4, I think it's far from lost. A win tonight would have been handy, but if the team is as good as I think it is, there's no reason why we can't win every game from here to the end of the season. Especially if we keep something approaching our best team out on the park. North in Hobart is clearly the most challenging, on paper, but we've beaten them down there before and they are losing players at a faster rate than we are.

Senior Player
    I actually thought McVeigh was pretty good tonight too...

In terms of top 4, I think it's far from lost. A win tonight would have been handy, but if the team is as good as I think it is, there's no reason why we can't win every game from here to the end of the season. Especially if we keep something approaching our best team out on the park. North in Hobart is clearly the most challenging, on paper, but we've beaten them down there before and they are losing players at a faster rate than we are.
    Basing my top four chances on my ladder predictor - donth think we will win in Hobart

Just on Towers. I remember when LRT was played consistently for his first 30-40 games, I used to wonder why. He's played less than 40 AFL games at any level prior to his debut. He was gangly and rangy, often out of position, pound for pound beaten by the bulked up key forwards on a regular basis. And had a shaggy mop of a hair cut! But they persisted with him and he repaid in full ... and then some. Pyke was the same - not as great a success as LRT, but 110 games ain't too shabby for a Canadian rugby convert. The coaches saw something, they kept playing them and eventually they came good. I trust the coaches know what they're doing. They've given some kids a chance but when the coaches didn't see a future, they moved them on. Not too many have they persisted with for the long term and failed with (sorry Dan Currie, you were one). If they keep playing Towers, they have a reason. I'll trust them.