Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 20 MDT. Sydney V Port Adelaide. SCG. 13.45pm.

Comment of the night from the commentary team at the 12:10 minute mark of the third term, when Towers passed to Xav Richards

"And free kick is going to go Sydney's way for being retarded,"

Proceeded to kick a point ...
    Last edited by goswannies; 6th August 2016 at 07:58 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by treespirit View Post
    Yep. I watched a fair bit of this match and the "Hawthorn Rule" was in effect until it was clear they would lose. I know the stats don't really support that they get more frees, but they sure seem to get more of the momentum changers.
    As well as the one's that don't get paid to the opposition, seemingly judged differently to what the Hawks enjoy......it can add up to a massive advantage ........and to think that they have probably won three close games this season, including the last time we played them, due to umpire influence, the bastards should have been down with the Dogs, Roos and West Coast, fighting to stay in the eight!! Pays to have a 'close' relationship with the umpires......

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    And Mitchell for Hawks I think has been reported !!!
    No reports listed, but they're saying that Rioli might be in trouble for a bump on Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    And Mitchell for Hawks I think has been reported !!!
    Holy ****! I had to read that twice! My initial interpretation was that it was reported that Tom Mitchell was going to Hawthorn!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Yeah I hope Parker doesn't get sighted for that elbow. It was accidental because he was going for the ball.

I agree about taking Rohan off...he looks uncomfortable.

A lot of players have niggles. Hopefully not too serious.
    After seeing the replay a few times I don't think Parker even knew he was there. Eyes were only for the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by gossipcom View Post
    Rohan's finally been yanked off and getting iced up.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I thought they just looked tired in the last quarter, as if they'd been working their butts off for an hour and a half on heavy turf. Fancy that. There were still some outstanding efforts around the contest to try and get the ball going their way. They just didn't have the legs left to create fluent chains of footy forwards.

Apart from the quiet ending, that was a really outstanding team performance (or an absolutely shocking effort from Port - probably a bit of both). Aliir continues to amaze me with his composure, the quality of his disposals and his rate of improvement. It was good to see him kicking a bit longer at times today too. Better in the conditions.

Rampe is the other player who's really bringing a smile to my face this year. He'd already shown he was a very solid player and has improved each year he's been on the list. But his form at the moment is just outstanding. He is invoking the spirit of Craig Bolton, who started as an accomplished third tall / rebounding defender and then gradually acquired the know-how, confidence and composure to nullify far bigger opponents. I am struggling to recall him making a single mistake this season!
    Yes, both Rampe and Aliir continued their impressive form. But now that I think of it, probably everybody that has played in our backline has been impressive. I'm beginning to think that defensive coach, Henry Playfair, probably deserves a large amount of praise. Statistically speaking, we have the best defence in the comp. Though what impresses me is more than that. Lately, I've been really pleased with teamwork shown; especially with the support play, both coming off their respective opponents to assist in contests, and more particularly, with the constant running into space to provide options for the man with the ball. And I suspect that this running is assisting with disposal efficiency, as it's probably a lot easier to make a correct decision if you can see two or three team mates in space; rather than looking up and seeing everybody covered.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Comment of the night from the commentary team at the 12:10 minute mark of the third term, when Towers passed to Xav Richards

"And free kick is going to go Sydney's way for being retarded,"

Proceeded to kick a point ...
    Well, Towers probably needs a little bit of help with his decision making?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I want to comment, but I keep on self censoring.

Veterans List
    Though Lloyd was very good today. Clearly his role when down back is to not get too involved with the contest but to sit off the pack. He always seemed to be there for a handball in the perfect spot. About his best game to date. Only mistake was an out on the full.

Senior Player
    We were so dominant, the AFL report gave us 8 best players!

BEST
    Sydney Swans: Heeney, Parker, Mitchell, Hannebery, Kennedy, Lloyd, McVeigh, Rampe
    Port Adelaide: Wines, Pittard, S. Gray, Clurey

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, both Rampe and Aliir continued their impressive form. But now that I think of it, probably everybody that has played in our backline has been impressive. I'm beginning to think that defensive coach, Henry Playfair, probably deserves a large amount of praise. Statistically speaking, we have the best defence in the comp. Though what impresses me is more than that. Lately, I've been really pleased with teamwork shown; especially with the support play, both coming off their respective opponents to assist in contests, and more particularly, with the constant running into space to provide options for the man with the ball. And I suspect that this running is assisting with disposal efficiency, as it's probably a lot easier to make a correct decision if you can see two or three team mates in space; rather than looking up and seeing everybody covered.
    We were talking about this on our very happy drive back to Canberra - our defensive unit, whoever has made up the back 6 at different times this year, in general has been superb. It is that part of our team that gives me the most confidence going into September, and the reason I think we are a genuine chance to win the flag.

Led by two players in Grundy and Rampe who are in career best form (in particular Rampe who is just playing superbly), aided by a clear superstar in the making in Mills, and aided by some older heads, it is a unit that is playing so very well and is able to deal with a lot of pressure. Our flags of 2005 and 2012 were built on a rock solid back 6, and if the squiggle is anything to go by, our defence this year is good enough to see us go all the way if the lucky stars go our way. Squiggle 2016 The predictions on the 'flagpole' page there reflect my thoughts on our defence - in the Regular Season Form our defence is ranked best at 82, with the next best GWS at 68. I know its just a prediction formula and the like, but I think a lot of his stats are reasonable reflections on footy and a decent guide to how we are going.

As for Allir - he is quickly becoming a huge crowd favourite, and its not just because of his background and wonderful story or his awesome name for a footballer. Its because the guy is showing more than a few signs of being a very fine defender indeed. He has work to do in 1 on 1 circumstances, but he is adding enormously to the rebound out of defence, his confidence is increasing, and most importantly he is calm and very good when under pressure - he has a great knack of being able to get an accurate and excellent handball away, even when getting or about to get crunched in a tackle.

Very impressed by our ruckman as well - Nankervis did great around the ground today, and Naismith is continuing to show the dominant force he could become in the ruck in time - his tap work is very decent (although against some fairly weak opposition today).

All in all, that was a really good performance today, despite Port being utterly woeful for a large part of it. Our first quarter in particular would of troubled any side - we do need to make more of our chances going forward and improve the accuracy, but the last fortnight in particular, we have played some very nice football. Just need to keep it up for the next 3 weeks and we will be well placed going into finals.

I have little doubt, if the footy gods smile upon us and we get back the few we are missing (In particular Zak Jones and Tippett) we are every chance to go all the way this season. Even if we don't, I've loved season 2016 and just what we have achieved, and our future is looking fantastic!
    Last edited by mcs; 6th August 2016 at 09:52 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Just wild about Harry
    At the after match function Nick Smith said that Rohan hurt his hip but he is ok and should play next week.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast