Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Until the inevitable next time. He's like our own Prince Phillip
    ....and just as 'teflon coated'.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
    That is sheer rolled GOLD!! Hilarious!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    You know what I actually love about the "lady" throwing the banana... she wasn't a 13 year old girl.
    Not one troll out there can say, leave her alone, she's just a child.

She deserves to be crucified.
    If I were the PAFC, I'd make her sit through the respect classes, THEN ban her for life.
    Giving her a lifeline to welcome her back at some stage, is not OK.
    People like her never learn.
    Crucifixion is one of the terror tools that Isis use to control people so probably an ideal situation to get the message across . As for your sweeping statement when you say "people like her" could you be a little more specific and enlighten us as to her personality and moral compass? You obviously know her very well.

Senior Player
    In this case a picture paints a million words and you just know some Colin wood supporter is already sporting this as a back piece ????????

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Crucifixion is one of the terror tools that Isis use to control people so probably an ideal situation to get the message across . As for your sweeping statement when you say "people like her" could you be a little more specific and enlighten us as to her personality and moral compass? You obviously know her very well.
    "Terror tool??" Let's just cool our jets a little! It may be a sweeping statement, rather like some people saying Hawk and WC fans can't be racist because they don't boo their indigenous players, and while it's true we don't "know her very well", the banana throwers actions give us plenty of insight into her character, personality and dare I say it....her views. It's time to call it as it looks/is and stop defending the indefensible, thereby allowing this 'casual' and sometimes 'deep seated' racism to continue to fester, blighting our game and society in general. Giving the perpetrators of these actions the benefit of the doubt implies that you may be comfortable with this type of behaviour. I would hope not. Think about it....a black man....a banana (and thrown at him with malice)....seriously, no racist connotations there? Get real.....

Blog Entries
    Surely as a pies supporter he'd have a pies tatt somewhere on that canvas!!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    "Terror tool??" Let's just cool our jets a little! It may be a sweeping statement, rather like some people saying Hawk and WC fans can't be racist because they don't boo their indigenous players, and while it's true we don't "know her very well", the banana throwers actions give us plenty of insight into her character, personality and dare I say it....her views. It's time to call it as it looks/is and stop defending the indefensible, thereby allowing this 'casual' and sometimes 'deep seated' racism to continue to fester, blighting our game and society in general. Giving the perpetrators of these actions the benefit of the doubt implies that you may be comfortable with this type of behaviour. I would hope not. Think about it....a black man....a banana (and thrown at him with malice)....seriously, no racist connotations there? Get real.....
    Best to assess any quote from a post within the full context.
    Please enlighten me as to where I defend her actions or say there is no racist connotation? It appears that you have missed my point completely so let me explain the thinking behind my comment.
    By vilifiying others we risk lowering ourself to the level of those we seek to distance ourselves from. Is passing judgement on the ability of others to change without knowing them possible? The original post I was responding to was strident, judgemental and almost vicious in its sentiment.
    Two wrongs do not make a right
    Last edited by Faunac8; 23rd August 2016 at 11:32 PM.

Veterans List
    Please enlighten me as to where I defend her actions or say there is no racist connotation? It appears that you have missed my point completely so let me explain the thinking behind my comment.
    By vilifiying others we risk lowering ourself to the level of those we seek to distance ourselves from. Is passing judgement on the ability of others to change without knowing them possible? The original post I was responding to was strident, judgemental and almost vicious in its sentiment.
    It's not 'vilifying' to call someone out on something as unsavoury as racism. If the community speaks out on mass, while it might look like hysteria and attack through weight of numbers, it is actually just the tribe speaking and voicing disapproval of something that rightfully, should be discouraged (it's similar to voting in an election....you know, democracy). Rather than lowering ourselves, we seek to raise them up, because frankly, they need to be. Otherwise, how will anything ever change? To use the term 'vilify' sounds a little hysterical to me......

Senior Player
    It's not 'vilifying' to call someone out on something as unsavoury as racism. If the community speaks out on mass, while it might look like hysteria and attack through weight of numbers, it is actually just the tribe speaking and voicing disapproval of something that rightfully, should be discouraged (it's similar to voting in an election....you know, democracy). Rather than lowering ourselves, we seek to raise them up, because frankly, they need to be. Otherwise, how will anything ever change? To use the term 'vilify' sounds a little hysterical to me......
    Check the meaning of the word vilify and then maybe just maybe the sounds of hysteria you are hearing might diminish. Oh and thanks for enlightening me on what a democracy is. One of the great things democracy offers is being able to voice an opinion .
    I would suggest that rather than removing a word from its original context and selectively quoting it you assess the full post. It seems that you think I am trying to justify racism when nothing could be further from the truth. I find discrimination of any description abhorrent and have "called it out" on more than one occasion in my life. The difference is I called it out as it occurred and not on an anonymous forum well after the event , I also didn't presume to know why the perpetrator chose to behave the way they did or if they would evolve their viewpoint or beliefs in the future . I certainly wouldn't declare that they were incapable of doing so without any facts to draw on.
    It was also interesting how you not only hear hysteria you wonder if it looks like hysteria when the community speaks en masse ? Such an emotive word shouldn't really be applied to the circumstances to which you ascribe it.
    Your comments about the tribe speaking don't carry much weight with me as it was only just over 12 months ago that some tribes chose to "speak" in an offensive and boorish manner. Unfortunately "tribes" have often made poor decisions throughout history.

Quickly becoming one of those subjects that is a no go zone, even when people generally feel the same way.

There are a lot of different elements to a discussion that are easily misinterpreted.
    A friend of mine said not long ago that there could be an argument made that the AFL Indigenous Day was counter productive.
    Same goes for society in general maintaining a distinction between Australians.
    I objected to his argument on the in that I think society is on a learning curve and without these days, it will take a lot longer.
    But after thought, you'd have to say that an end goal would be that there is no special day differentiating Australians, and that we are all simply Australians.
    But if you tried to make that argument right now, there is a fair chance that in most circumstances you'd be labeled somehow.

Point is that it can be very hard to have a discussion. Jumping down the throats of every person making any comment about race only serves to keep thoughts hidden and unchanged.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Thanks Stevo.
    Seriously couldn't have said it better myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Judge not lest thou be judged, blah, blah, blah, something, something, something?

It's my opinion of her, ok? I really don't care that you care to judge me for my opinion. I won't lose sleep over you. Ok?
    The little bogan obviously hasn't been brought up in an environment where diversity is celebrated.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast