Page 143 of 196 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153193 ... LastLast
Results 1,705 to 1,716 of 2341

Thread: 2016 trading and drafting (merged thread)

I just cannot see us not using our four picks at the ND and I doubt we'll break our list of 38.

I do hope he gets another shot somewhere though, I doubt he'll last until the RD

I suspect that if we were planning to take a free agent, then we wouldn't have announced a full compliment of rookie upgrades. And it's probable that we will also value pick 49, as being worth more than a delisted free agent.
    Though one thing that I just tried to check, but couldn't find anything on: if nobody offers Barrett a primary list contract, is it possible for us to offer him a place on our rookie list, prior to the draft?
    Any ideas?

Found this surfing the WCE fan site. I think it's a great chart.

From the points the clubs have I would love to see Collingwood struggle to get the 2 father and sons picks Daicos & Brown. It would be poetic justice to have Eddie agonize like the way he made the Swans and their supporters suffer with his rantings and ravings about the academy etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Found this surfing the WCE fan site. I think it's a great chart.
    I like it, GWS and Gold Coast's large points balances should be expected with both coming back to baseline next year though Gold Coast do have the luxury of four second rounders which will further help them, especially if Swallow decides to go home.

Hawthorn on a big fat zero spells trouble, especially as they won't have a lot more next year. Melbourne have taken a hit this year but they consciously traded forward last year where they took Oliver and Weideman and then traded Hibberd in this year.

St Kilda for mine were the winners in this trade period, two good players in, two forst round picks in 2017 and they still get two second rounders this year

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    From the points the clubs have I would love to see Collingwood struggle to get the 2 father and sons picks Daicos & Brown. It would be poetic justice to have Eddie agonize like the way he made the Swans and their supporters suffer with his rantings and ravings about the academy etc.
    I wish you were right but I haven't seen anyone rate either Brown or Daicos an earlier than late 30s so they should be able to get them.

On the bright side I think their trading and drafting strategy has been poor, drafting old men with a view more to Bucks keeping his job than priming them for a title tilt

Callum Twomey has Brown rated at 27 in his last Phantom Draft. He's a good player and deserves to go in the 2nd round, just not sure how early. It would be good for Daicos to be bid before pick 44 so Colingwood falls behind our 3rd round picks.

I thought the 2013 draft was strong, but maybe this will be even better. I was thinking about the likely choices for our 1st pick. It's a real difficult call. I tried to find a current player to match the potential of the 4 most likely candidates and came up with:
    • Scrimshaw > Bontempelli
    • Logue > Rance
    • Taranto > Heeney (although Taranto says he wants to play like Luke Parker)
    • Berry > Dangerfield

I heard Dangerfield wasn't such a great kick as a junior and still rushes his decisions and Berry has so much of his qualities, but is taller. Cal Twomey on this week's Road to the Draft thought Scrimshaw could turn out to be this draft's best player.

If you exclude GWS pick 15 which will be used on Setterfield, there are only 8 live picks between picks 9 and 19 and the 2 SA clubs have 3 of them, so they will have a big influence on who gets through to pick 19. I would think that PA definitely need a key forward to compliment Dixon now that Schulz is gone. Adelaide look pretty settled near the goal posts, but should go for the best midfielder available. If WC take Todd Marshall, perhaps PA will have to take Battle with one of their picks. I saw a few videos of SA prospect Alex Villis. He's a great kick on both sides and has to come into contention for one of these picks. Brennan Cox is also a possibility for PA as the 2nd best KPD in the draft after Logue, who seems almost certain to be gone by pick 14.

I hope we take Olango at 49. He'll never last till our 1st rookie pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I heard Dangerfield wasn't such a great kick as a junior and still rushes his decisions and Berry has so much of his qualities, but is taller. Cal Twomey on this week's Road to the Draft thought Scrimshaw could turn out to be this draft's best player.
    Dangerfield is still a terrible (or to be kinder "non-damaging") kick

Veterans List
    Only 21 days to go!

Reading all the knowledgable reports, I don't think I've seen a more varied lot of opinions on who goes where. Gold Coast with 4, 6, 8, 10 will shape the draft. I reckon our quick offloading of Mitchell and late pick swap with Port has worked a treat, the more I read the more I think we get a very good prospect at 19. Just don't want another Towers/D.O'Keefe type moment when 19 is announced! I was at the draft last year when Crows selected Doedee with pick 17 and everyone just shrugged their shoulders, no one knew him.

alright

Im going with the following for our recruitment

Pick9 - midfielder

Pick 19 - Tall either Cox or Jack Maibaum

Pick 46 - Ruck

Pick 49 - Jake Barrett or a tall defender/forward

REASONINGS:

Overall strategy we are in a window to still challenge in 2017 for a Premiership. A pick 9 player has every chance to play in 2017 for the Snr team and would only help our ability to challenge if the right type of player is recruited.

Pick 9 - there are just to many good midfielders to pass up this opportunity at Pick9. Secondly we have always recruited value for money in defence.......if we went with Logue he will be a very expensive player in years to come and that has never worked for us with our defenders and Salary Cap........Lastly Grundy has 2017 and 2018 most likely covered and so to does Rampe and AA re Key Defender roles, so that would mean we miss out on a potential star midfielder of the future that could feature most likely in 2017 onwards. Lastly i worry that a WA player such as Logue could be heading home before you know it and what a waste of pick 9 in a period we need to peak which is now !

Pick 19 - Defender that is more likely to play pressies in 2017.........we have Grundy, Rampe, AA, Talia, Laids and potentially AJ and Melican who can all rotate the key defence roles but we will need someone that is genuinely a chance to play Snr footy 2018 onwards.......we saw AJ have a year in pressies. we saw AA 3 years.......we saw Rampe a long apprenticeship and the same for Richards and Grundy. I think we will bring in a Defender with Pick 19 that will need to be ready season two when Grundy is either still going strong or starting to decline like Richards did. You would guess given we cleared Abe off the list that we may re draft him as well...... but loosing X and Abe would mean we need a tall defender to do an apprenticeship from this draft.

Pick 46 - Ruckman Tony Olango is such a talent and we need a Ruck for the future not now so much. Yes we need a stop gap ruck in 2017 like a TomD for Snrs back up which we will still recruit in this season but not from this national draft.......

Pick 49 - Jake Barrett for me is such a great value pick and ready to challenge our 22 plus after 3 years in a good system in Sydney........He is a great young leader for our NEAFL.....no1 tackler in the NEAFL and averaged 29.5 disposals and a good left foot kick........Jake is one that I would find almost impossible to walk past at pick 49 !!! If not available i am sure we will go another tall approx 194cm like we did when we went for AA in the mid 40s a few years ago
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 4th November 2016 at 07:30 AM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veterans List
    Auntie, not sure your memory is correct about AJ spending a year in the ressies. Wasn't he a 2010 draftee along with Parker? My memory has AJ playing the first game in 2011 in the ressies then went straight to seniors from round 2. But maybe both our memories are wobbly?

I do however like your reasoning on going mid at pick 9, outside speed and good footskills please! If we miss out on the next Alex Rance by passing Logue at that pick?

Those 40s picks will come in 3 or 4 spots with the extinguishing of a few picks in front of us.

2011 it was re AJ
    i meant not as a key defender type role
    80% of the time most young 194cm 85kg defenders at 18yrs of age don't slip in a a key defensive role i.e. needing time in ressies for bulk and experience
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"