Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243 LastLast

Thread: The Final Quarter / The Australian Dream (AG documentaries) and related discussion

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Bloody hell. Give it a rest. You hate Bolt. We've got it.
    Mild criticism of Andrew Bolt and you're not quite the champion of free speech, that you're endlessly claiming to be. Indigenous athlete makes a few remarks about indigenous disadvantage, and the right wing outrage industry, relentlessly forget about their supposed passion for free speech, to demand that he be shut down, and that he should no longer say anything that they label 'divisive'. I think I can see a bit of a pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Mild criticism of Andrew Bolt and you're not quite the champion of free speech, that you're endlessly claiming to be. Indigenous athlete makes a few remarks about indigenous disadvantage, and the right wing outrage industry, relentlessly forget about their supposed passion for free speech, to demand that he be shut down, and that he should no longer say anything that they label 'divisive'. I think I can see a bit of a pattern.
    Im all for free speech. The problem is that RWO doesn't allow it. I'm just pointing out that hypocracy; because those words I used are the exact words that others keep throwing at me.

It's open slather to slander the names of people like Panahi, Bolt, Newman, et al, on RWO but the moment anyone legitimately points out Goodes' mistakes (which many, many people believe he has made) that person is labelled as a racist?

If you want a thread that openly discusses the Goodes situation then you need to welcome comments from all aspects. Otherwise, the thread belongs elsewhere.

Im all for free speech. The problem is that RWO doesn't allow it. I'm just pointing out that hypocracy; because those words I used are the exact words that others keep throwing at me.

It's open slather to slander the names of people like Panahi, Bolt, Newman, et al, on RWO but the moment anyone legitimately points out Goodes' mistakes (which many, many people believe he has made) that person is labelled as a racist?

If you want a thread that openly discusses the Goodes situation then you need to welcome comments from all aspects. Otherwise, the thread belongs elsewhere.
    All for free speech? To me, you seem to be just regurgitating the views of Bolt, Devine, Jones, etc, who only are for free speech, when the person is saying something that they agree with. The main driver of the Goodes controversy, was that those privileged media commentators, thought that it was in their best interests, to tell an indigenous person making a few mild statements about indigenous issues to STFU. Of course, any statements that they made on indigenous issues, no matter how ill-informed, they considered to be sacrosanct, under their right to free speech. Or in essence, indigenous voice: no right to free speech. Right wing media propagandists: all the free speech that working for the world's most powerful news organisation gives you.

All for free speech? To me, you seem to be just regurgitating the views of Bolt, Devine, Jones, etc, who only are for free speech, when the person is saying something that they agree with. The main driver of the Goodes controversy, was that those privileged media commentators, thought that it was in their best interests, to tell an indigenous person making a few mild statements about indigenous issues to STFU. Of course, any statements that they made on indigenous issues, no matter how ill-informed, they considered to be sacrosanct, under their right to free speech. Or in essence, indigenous voice: no right to free speech. Right wing media propagandists: all the free speech that working for the world's most powerful news organisation gives you.
    Boy-of-boy. Whatever you say. I bet the moon landing was faked too, right?

What an odd response. I'm intrigued by your outrage about being labelled a racist. I have a faint memory of someone labelling Adam Goodes a "racist vigilante". Not entirely sure who it was. Can you help out with that?

Bloody hell. Give it a rest. You hate Bolt. We've got it.
    I don't think you read my post very carefully. I'm pretty sure my criticism of the egregious Bolt wasn't the main point.

Like the overwhelming majority of conspiracy theories, these days, the fake moon landing one, is largely propagated and believed by those well to the right of centre.

Senior Player
    Like the overwhelming majority of conspiracy theories, these days, the fake moon landing one, is largely propagated and believed by those well to the right of centre.
    mmm..... I think the main reason people come up with these crazy conspiracy theories, is because they themselves are a bit crazy.

As for this whole "free speech" thing ; it always seems to me that it's main proponents feel that only they should be in possession
    of it, and everyone else should just shut the @@@@ up, and listen to their oh-so-important "speeches".

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    mmm..... I think the main reason people come up with these crazy conspiracy theories, is because they themselves are a bit crazy.

As for this whole "free speech" thing ; it always seems to me that it's main proponents feel that only they should be in possession
    of it, and everyone else should just shut the @@@@ up, and listen to their oh-so-important "speeches".
    Agreed. If a Muslim happens to say something, watch the "free speechers" come out of their trees and demand they are shut down. Even a sensible moderate like Waleed Aly gets hammered by Bolt Panahi and others in the Murdock paid hack-pack.

Just saw the Australian Dream at the Melb Convention Centre. Full house. Bit of a false start as they had to halt the film 10 mins in & restart it because it was continually pausing due to some timing issue. Nova Peris was supposed to do a live intro, but due to the delay as a result of the timing issue she had to leave to attend her son's footy match! The film ran for almost 2 hours including the restart. There was a Q&A with the director after the screening, who is British & never heard of Adam Goodes and the booing saga till he began researching when he caught wind of it.

Not sure if it was because I was seeing this on the big screen, but I found it more powerful than The Final Quarter which I saw on FTA. TFQ seemed like a censored version in comparison. Don't want to give away any spoilers, but it was very moving the way the hand clapping support for Adam Goodes in the 3rd quarter 7 min mark & the Lewis Jetta celebratory goal dance at that SCG game was presented, more so than I've seen previously. Stan Grant's speech was also stirring. I walked away feeling so privilidged having both Adam & Micky O represent our club, plus the feeling history will see Adam in a revered light in years to come who shone the mirror on the nation which helped us towards finding true reconciliation. Gilbert McAdam was very direct in his on camera pieces in his own endearing way.
    Last edited by KSAS; 3rd August 2019 at 06:12 PM.

Regular in the Side

That is simply absurd! You have complete freedom to say whatever you wish on this forum. Equally people are free to disagree with you. And simply because people disagree with you doesn’t mean you are subject to censorship. Mate, freedom of speech works BOTH ways, not just the way you want it to

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    It is a very wide use of the term bigot to attack people who defend Adam Goodes' right to speak as a representative of his people - and for footballers, too if he likes. I find it strange to come onto a Swans fan site and see people attack the greatest Swans player of all time. I can't think of another Swan who achieved two Brownlows, two premierships and the great honour of being Australian of the Year so I can't see how anyone could disagree with that.

While many in the wider community can defend their ignorance by saying that they never met the man (probably with the addendum "and never want to") I'd expect anyone who has followed the Swans with any enthusiasm over the past 15 years would have had a chance to meet Adam. On the times when I have spoken with him I've found him genuinely nice: a gentle soul who is considerate of others and genuinely interested in what you have to say. My non-footy following wife was awed to meet him the first time and her camera froze (as she did) when I went to take the pic of the two of them. Later in the evening Adam sought her out, remembered her name and made sure she got the photo she wanted. Even if he'd never laced up a football boot I'd be proud to have him represent me as Australian of the Year. Likewise his thoughts on the problems we have with race in our society is far more considered than just about anything I've heard or read elsewhere. I feel he's an Australian elder before his time and I hope we grow into him.
    Can I repeat that I find constant attacks on the Swans greatest player on a Swans fan site quite offensive.