Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Quarter / The Australian Dream (AG documentaries) and related discussion

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    A great gesture by the Hawks, I just wish they did more at the time as their supporters were the ones that started the constant booing.

Speaking of their supporters, they have gone into meltdown over this announcement and some are threatening to tear up their membership. The Hawks are having to tell them to show respect. Impey told his supporters to "take a breathe". This is the mentality of some people out there that they are outraged over a gesture like this.
    Will the Hawthorn canine members be burying their memberships? There's plenty of them!

Great to see the Hawks PLAYERS doing something positive. Very, very ,very late but it's progress!!

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    And you're entitled to your opinion just as those are who have a different opinion. People need to understand what the definition a racist is. Does Sam show prejudice, discrimination towards those of a different race based on the belief that his own race is superior (Oxford Dictionary)? I don't think he does and none of you are in a position to confirm that he does. You confusing lack of empathy with racism.
    May I respectfully suggest that you watch the Goodes documentary as soon as you get the opportunity. It was a sombre and thought provoking revisit of the facts of the events at the time. What stood out for me was that it showed how quickly and easily what Adam said and did was twisted and used against Adam by some in the media.

It was pretty eye opening to be honest.

Veterans List

Senior Player
    Twenty years before Adam pointed out the spectator who called him an ape there was another first Australian man who was forced to pointedly respond to racist spectator behaviour . Hopefully in twenty years from now we won’t still be discussing the subject

File:Nicky Winmar gesture.jpg - Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Twenty years before Adam pointed out the spectator who called him an ape there was another first Australian man who was forced to pointedly respond to racist spectator behaviour . Hopefully in twenty years from now we won’t still be discussing the subject

File:Nicky Winmar gesture.jpg - Wikipedia
    And this is the thing that has been ignored/forgotten/disregarded by those who continue to criticise Adam Goodes for his reaction to the racist abuse in that awful incident in 2013.

The 2013 indigenous round marked the 20th anniversary of the Winmar incident and that iconic pose.

Goodes was used by the AFL to lead media promotions by indigenous players before the 2013 indigenous round, including by replicating the Winmar pose (see below).

For example this article before the 2013 indigenous round:

‘The theme for 2013 – Identity – was inspired by Nicky Winmar’s iconic gesture at Victoria Park in 1993 when, at the conclusion of St Kilda’s match against Collingwood, he raised his jumper and pointed at his skin and declared: “I’m black – and I’m proud to be black!”

The 2013 Indigenous Round will celebrate this moment and remind football fans of its significance in the history of our game, and the identity it gives each and every Indigenous player in the AFL.

“The instant reaction is that it reminds me of the times I’ve had to stand up for myself when I’ve been racially abused on the football field, at school, by my own relatives,” Goodes said.’

Indigenous Round: Adam Goodes - AFL NSW / ACT

And then in the Collingwood 2013 indigenous round match he hears, out of the crowd, one of the worst pieces of racist abuse imaginable. He is called an ape - an animal, not human, the ‘other’ - the explanation used for centuries to justify invasion of indigenous communities, taking their land, murder, rape, exploitation.

And he is criticised for reacting???

This 2014 article by Anthony Sharwood, in the lead-up to Goodes’ 350th match, sums it up:

‘Off field, he’s an inspirational role model, not least in his hands-on role as director of the Go Foundation, which provides scholarships for young indigenous people.’

‘On field, there’s no one quite like the man who tonight notches up an incredible 350th AFL game, and there never really has been.‘

‘So here’s this ripper bloke. This inspirational indigenous Australian. This beautiful, silky footballer who’s a dream to watch. And yet plenty of people don’t like him. Go figure that.’

‘To this writer, it always seemed like Goodes, consciously or subconsciously, was emulating the famous Nicky Winmar gesture in that (2013 indigenous round) moment. Only, instead of pointing to his own chest in pride, Goodes pointed to the section of the crowd from which the insult had emanated. And he did this not to shame anybody personally, but to shame the very mentality of those who would call a black man an ape, and by inference, subhuman.’

Category: | Herald Sun

Senior Player
    Mrs Tigers made a great suggestion last night. Next year all the clubs can wear their indigenous jumpers for the entire season.
    Now that would be a statement.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    And this is the thing that has been ignored/forgotten/disregarded by those who continue to criticise Adam Goodes for his reaction to the racist abuse in that awful incident in 2013.

The 2013 indigenous round marked the 20th anniversary of the Winmar incident and that iconic pose.

Goodes was used by the AFL to lead media promotions by indigenous players before the 2013 indigenous round, including by replicating the Winmar pose (see below).

For example this article before the 2013 indigenous round:

‘The theme for 2013 – Identity – was inspired by Nicky Winmar’s iconic gesture at Victoria Park in 1993 when, at the conclusion of St Kilda’s match against Collingwood, he raised his jumper and pointed at his skin and declared: “I’m black – and I’m proud to be black!”

The 2013 Indigenous Round will celebrate this moment and remind football fans of its significance in the history of our game, and the identity it gives each and every Indigenous player in the AFL.

“The instant reaction is that it reminds me of the times I’ve had to stand up for myself when I’ve been racially abused on the football field, at school, by my own relatives,” Goodes said.’

Indigenous Round: Adam Goodes - AFL NSW / ACT

And then in the Collingwood 2013 indigenous round match he hears, out of the crowd, one of the worst pieces of racist abuse imaginable. He is called an ape - an animal, not human, the ‘other’ - the explanation used for centuries to justify invasion of indigenous communities, taking their land, murder, rape, exploitation.

And he is criticised for reacting???

This 2014 article by Anthony Sharwood, in the lead-up to Goodes’ 350th match, sums it up:

‘Off field, he’s an inspirational role model, not least in his hands-on role as director of the Go Foundation, which provides scholarships for young indigenous people.’

‘On field, there’s no one quite like the man who tonight notches up an incredible 350th AFL game, and there never really has been.‘

‘So here’s this ripper bloke. This inspirational indigenous Australian. This beautiful, silky footballer who’s a dream to watch. And yet plenty of people don’t like him. Go figure that.’

‘To this writer, it always seemed like Goodes, consciously or subconsciously, was emulating the famous Nicky Winmar gesture in that (2013 indigenous round) moment. Only, instead of pointing to his own chest in pride, Goodes pointed to the section of the crowd from which the insult had emanated. And he did this not to shame anybody personally, but to shame the very mentality of those who would call a black man an ape, and by inference, subhuman.’

Category: | Herald Sun

Great post I must admit I wasn’t aware of this picture of Adam and had forgotten the significance of the indigenous round that year. I excuse myself on the grounds that I very rarely read Ruperts rags.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Mrs Tigers made a great suggestion last night. Next year all the clubs can wear their indigenous jumpers for the entire season.
    Now that would be a statement.
    It would indeed
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 21st June 2019 at 11:04 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

We often poke fun at Damian Barrett's "Sliding Doors" segments but this week's take on Hawthorn is nice.

Sliding Doors: IF Paddy Ryder is at Port in 2020 ... THEN - AFL.com.au

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Outstanding post Meg, especially the Sharwood piece, which I hadn't seen before.

Pardon a bit of trivia: Those muscles - whoa!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    We often poke fun at Damian Barrett's "Sliding Doors" segments but this week's take on Hawthorn is nice.

Sliding Doors: IF Paddy Ryder is at Port in 2020 ... THEN - AFL.com.au
    Good on Damian for this time!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar