Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for the Grand Final.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansinger View Post
    Proving what I have said for years : RWO is the most intelligent and cultured fans' forum on Earth.
    The cultural and educative excellence of the RWO site is an under-appreciated gem, shielded from the glare of the outside world only, perhaps, by our exceeding modesty and humility. Here we discuss the significance of NAPLAN testing, gently correct one another on matters of modern manners (under what circumstances it is appropriate to dangle a scarf from a car window, for example), engage in discerning discussions of modern music (the musical merits of Sweet Caroline against Up their Cazaly), and discuss the intricacies of irony.
    It is in regard to the last that I write. There are four types of irony: verbal, situational, dramatic, and Johnsonian. This last was not named in reference to S. Johnson, �the most distinguished man of letters in English history�, but in reference to another S. Johnson, yet a fellow of somewhat lesser renown � words said, it may be admitted, more in truth than kindness.
    Johnsonian irony is like watching a Greek tragedy. One in which a Greek god receives the adulation of those who supplicate his favours, and considers it but his due. Deploying the unfair tactics that only gods who stand beyond morality dare use, he smites an opponent � of course a hero � with a near fatal blow.
    The cruel and cowardly intervention secures victory. The vanquished lament. Chaos ensues. The order of the universe is broken down...
    Yet what yonder god is this that comes? Chronos � the god Time!
    The victory was but a skirmish, and he who delivered it is forced to retire from the next battle merely to observe. And so it is from the stands of the theatre that he sees his team ... defeated.
    It turns out that the one whose intervention secured victory is indeed a Greek god � one of those capricious gods whose intervention is as a much a bane (and more) to his own as it is to his opponents.
    It is, of course, a common psychological reality that those who inflict harm on the innocent are sometimes intellectually incapable of understanding the breach of morality that their own behaviour represents. Myself, I am a generous fellow, and I am sure that Stevie, even if only dimly through darkened glass, can see that his cheap shot on Kennedy may have stunned his opponent, but it did worse to his friends.
    And the Johnsonian irony is this: the more highly Stevie regards his own footballing prowess and the greater his belief that his own unique presence would have got them through to the Big Dance, the more it must strike him � not with an elbow or a head, a hip or a shoulder, yet no less forcefully � that his folly has let down his own.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    If aliir gets up for the game then I think marsh is one who will be unlucky to miss out for McVeigh. I don't think they will risk mills
    He'd have to be 100%. The need for his height is lessened by the Dogs lack of forward height, so I feel we can cover for his absence quite easily if need be. He deserves to be there though if he's genuinely right to go, which if McVeigh plays, will be tough on Marsh, who's been serviceable.

Quote Originally Posted by kangle4 View Post
    Minor medial ligament strain for Aliir so he's a chance to play. I think they'll get him up for the game.
    That is not good news. Id be suprised if hes selected. If he was buddy youd risk it, but not a bottom 10 player. Which means we are more likely to keep marsh for his height.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    The cultural and educative excellence of the RWO site is an under-appreciated gem, shielded from the glare of the outside world only, perhaps, by our exceeding modesty and humility. Here we discuss the significance of NAPLAN testing, gently correct one another on matters of modern manners (under what circumstances it is appropriate to dangle a scarf from a car window, for example), engage in discerning discussions of modern music (the musical merits of Sweet Caroline against Up their Cazaly), and discuss the intricacies of irony.
    It is in regard to the last that I write. There are four types of irony: verbal, situational, dramatic, and Johnsonian. This last was not named in reference to S. Johnson, �the most distinguished man of letters in English history�, but in reference to another S. Johnson, yet a fellow of somewhat lesser renown � words said, it may be admitted, more in truth than kindness.
    Johnsonian irony is like watching a Greek tragedy. One in which a Greek god receives the adulation of those who supplicate his favours, and considers it but his due. Deploying the unfair tactics that only gods who stand beyond morality dare use, he smites an opponent � of course a hero � with a near fatal blow.
    The cruel and cowardly intervention secures victory. The vanquished lament. Chaos ensues. The order of the universe is broken down...
    Yet what yonder god is this that comes? Chronos � the god Time!
    The victory was but a skirmish, and he who delivered it is forced to retire from the next battle merely to observe. And so it is from the stands of the theatre that he sees his team ... defeated.
    It turns out that the one whose intervention secured victory is indeed a Greek god � one of those capricious gods whose intervention is as a much a bane (and more) to his own as it is to his opponents.
    It is, of course, a common psychological reality that those who inflict harm on the innocent are sometimes intellectually incapable of understanding the breach of morality that their own behaviour represents. Myself, I am a generous fellow, and I am sure that Stevie, even if only dimly through darkened glass, can see that his cheap shot on Kennedy may have stunned his opponent, but it did worse to his friends.
    And the Johnsonian irony is this: the more highly Stevie regards his own footballing prowess and the greater his belief that his own unique presence would have got them through to the Big Dance, the more it must strike him � not with an elbow or a head, a hip or a shoulder, yet no less forcefully � that his folly has let down his own.
    Yeah, but once Stevie drags himself away from staring at his own reflection, he's bound to decide that he is the victim of the whole affair.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    He'd have to be 100%. The need for his height is lessened by the Dogs lack of forward height, so I feel we can cover for his absence quite easily if need be. He deserves to be there though if he's genuinely right to go, which if McVeigh plays, will be tough on Marsh, who's been serviceable.
    I suspect that Aliir will end up playing, though as you say, it's not essential against the smaller Dogs forward line. Why I hope that he does, is the rebounding drive that he gives us. I love the way that he starts attacks, by almost instantaneously deciding on a target or a plan of escape, then almost always, executing that plan.
    The really tough selection decision will have to be made if all three of Aliir, McVeigh and Mills are right to go. With Marsh probably the first to go, that leaves a really tough choice between Laidler and Hewett.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yeah, but once Stevie drags himself away from staring at his own reflection, he's bound to decide that he is the victim of the whole affair.
    Narcissus rather than a Greek god? Don't look to me for disagreement!

Senior Player
    I've watched the game 3 times now. Hewett, Marsh and Tippet were not that good.

Tippet will hopefully be better for the run, but there wasn't much effort in his running and covering loose players on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    If aliir gets up for the game then I think marsh is one who will be unlucky to miss out for McVeigh. I don't think they will risk mills
    They certainly will not risk Aliir and Mills. Assuming McVeigh Comes back and Jones stays in, you'd think Marsh is s definite out. If Aliir doesn't pull up then I'd say keep Marsh in. The bulldogs play a pretty small forward line. I'm struggling to find a match up for Teddy even if Aliir misses.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansinger View Post
    Brilliant !!!
    If it means winning the GF , I'd gladly rip his heart out and stamp on it first.
    Capture.JPG

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I'm sure in the saints game we had more free kicks. Remember the 3 50 metre penalties?

Ok I checked and we actually lost the count 19-17. I wouldn't have thought that after the whinging I heard during the game!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Port we won fairly comfortably. But that seems to be a real anomaly.

Veterans List
    After watching channel 7 news you wouldn't know that the swans are in the Grand Final. Wall to wall bulldogs. What a joke.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    After watching channel 7 news you wouldn't know that the swans are in the Grand Final. Wall to wall bulldogs. What a joke.

You live in Melbourne I am guessing and if so why are you surprised it's called local news for a good reason. Rest assured Sydney news hardly mentioned Bambi

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast