Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Season 2017

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    Longmire has said repeatedly, he will select only fit players. Gary Rohan's problem on Saturday was not his leg, it was inside his head.
    He seems to have a nervous issue. The Herald sun rated him the worst player on the field. From memory he was also the worse player on the field in the 2014 GF? something is not quite right???

Senior Player
    Yes, I find Rohan an interesting player. I like him, he can do some great things, but he has consistently
    never managed to average much more than ten possessions a game. I mean I reckon if I was to just
    stand on a wing all day reading a book I could probably get five touches a game just from errant kicks and handpasses, so really ten is not a lot.
    Is he just a poor reader of the play? He just can't seem to get himself where the ball is very often.
    He has been like this his entire career.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    He seems to have a nervous issue. The Herald sun rated him the worst player on the field. From memory he was also the worse player on the field in the 2014 GF? something is not quite right???
    Last edited by KTigers; 3rd October 2016 at 02:47 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    If he does, it's all in his mind and related to his leg......so he'd better get his mind right. Enter Brett Kirk? Also, phuck you Lindsay Thomas!!

Rohan appeared to be playing on Johanissen at one point and then got moved to 'goalkeeper'. Hard to pick up possessions back there

Rohan is a potential match winner for us but he just fails to deliver on the big stage, we all know of his injury history but maybe it more than that....

Anyway, I don't think there is any reason to suggest we won't be contenders again next year but we'll need to improve, because there's a tean the other side of this city that will be very very hard to beat and if they weren't stitched up by the Umps (much more than us I believe) then they would have towelled us up on Saturday.

Clearly a fit and firing Sam Reid is extremely important to us and without him I'll go as far as say we can't win next year.

The likes of Hewett, Papley, Aliir, Mills, Jones and Heeney need to find another 10% which is totally achievable. As for Hewett, the kid is only 20 so let's cut him some slack.

I think our defence is very sound which was a concern for all this time last year. The emergence of Rampe and Aliir gives us a good backbone and I think Talia and even Xav can be good cover. A good season by Talia would be very handy and dare we dream re AJ?

As always we'll need to see some guys step up (Newman Foote and O'Riordan), maybe we'll draft a kid who steps up in year 1 and we may well try and trade in a player like a Touhy to meet a need. Overall though the success or failure in 2017 will come down to how much improvement we can get our of the bottom 8 in our starting 22 and I think that with our young list we can be cautiously optimistic of that.

2017 Best 22

We still have the bones of a good side 15 of the 22 players in the GF should retain their spot. Laidler, McGlynn, McVeigh, Hewett, X, Tippett, Mitchell (Unknown) will be out of our best 22. McVeigh will have a similar season to O'Keefe�s last, he�s 13 games shy of 300 i hope he gets there we only have three players to have ever played 300.

On the fence with Mitchell his best 100 games are still ahed of him but out midfield is so one dimensional. We�re good inside but exiting stoppages is becoming a issue we�ve got no speed.
    I�ve done a 180 about Nankervis he at least bring the ball to ground when forward for Papley to crumb Tippett seems incapable of making it to the contest at times. Nankervis and Naismith seem to have a good understand between them playing Neafl for a couple seasons.

Our talls should be Bud, Reid and Nankervis Naismith rotating.

Robinson was in our best 22 until he broke his collarbone he�ll be back next year.
    Will be interesting to see in Newman can make in the Afl he a beautiful kick similar to Malceski.

Two positions should be available for someone to grab.

FB: Newman, Grundy, Smith
    HB: Jones, Aliir, Rampe
    C: Jack, , Heeney
    HF: Rohan, Franklin, Papley
    F: , Reid, Kennedy
    Fol: Naismith, Hannebery, Parker

Bench: Nankervis, Lloyd, Mills, Robinson

Possible 22: AJ, Rose, BJ, Harry C, O'Riordan

We need to draft Shai Bolton and Jarrod Berry they would be perfect for us. Especially Berry he�s a running defender who is also a very good intercept mark and has elite kick at 191cm.
    Both players should be around 14-20 mark unless something change in the combine.

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    We still have the bones of a good side 15 of the 22 players in the GF should retain their spot. Laidler, McGlynn, McVeigh, Hewett, X, Tippett, Mitchell (Unknown) will be out of our best 22. McVeigh will have a similar season to O'Keefe�s last, he�s 13 games shy of 300 i hope he gets there we only have three players to have ever played 300.

On the fence with Mitchell his best 100 games are still ahed of him but out midfield is so one dimensional. We�re good inside but exiting stoppages is becoming a issue we�ve got no speed.
    I�ve done a 180 about Nankervis he at least bring the ball to ground when forward for Papley to crumb Tippett seems incapable of making it to the contest at times. Nankervis and Naismith seem to have a good understand between them playing Neafl for a couple seasons.

Our talls should be Bud, Reid and Nankervis Naismith rotating.

Robinson was in our best 22 until he broke his collarbone he�ll be back next year.
    Will be interesting to see in Newman can make in the Afl he a beautiful kick similar to Malceski.

Two positions should be available for someone to grab.

FB: Newman, Grundy, Smith
    HB: Jones, Aliir, Rampe
    C: Jack, , Heeney
    HF: Rohan, Franklin, Papley
    F: , Reid, Kennedy
    Fol: Naismith, Hannebery, Parker

Bench: Nankervis, Lloyd, Mills, Robinson

Possible 22: AJ, Rose, BJ, Harry C, O'Riordan

We need to draft Shai Bolton and Jarrod Berry they would be perfect for us. Especially Berry he�s a running defender who is also a very good intercept mark and has elite kick at 191cm.
    Both players should be around 14-20 mark unless something change in the combine.
    Kennedy at Full Forward? Really?

I think that as much as we'd like to move Heeney into the midfield that he'll be required to add some bit to our forward line. And I imagine we'll continue with Tippett as a ruckman rotating through the forward line as I think we forget how good his form was before his hammy went. Does make a fit and firing Reid very important for next year.

All things considered Hewett had a good first year of senior footy (still only 20) so provided he has another big pre-season he should be in our best 22 next year.

I just had a thought... If Fyfe is going to leave Freo, I wonder what his relationship with Brett Kirk's is like?

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    I just had a thought... If Fyfe is going to leave Freo, I wonder what his relationship with Brett Kirk's is like?
    I imagine it's pretty good but I just have a feeling we might struggle with cap space to afford him...

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Kennedy at Full Forward? Really?

I think that as much as we'd like to move Heeney into the midfield that he'll be required to add some bit to our forward line. And I imagine we'll continue with Tippett as a ruckman rotating through the forward line as I think we forget how good his form was before his hammy went. Does make a fit and firing Reid very important for next year.

All things considered Hewett had a good first year of senior footy (still only 20) so provided he has another big pre-season he should be in our best 22 next year.
    Doesn't matter where they line up they go through the midfield.

Heeney will play in the midfield next year if his knee is right. As for Hewett he doesn't add much to our midfield he only has one speed. The only way he managed to kick goals was from free kicks after he stopped playing for frees goals have dried, he doesn't get big possessions either. If we draft Ben Davis he would be a better forward than Hewett.

Regular in the Side
    Hewett needs to stop playing for frees..@@@@s me as he gets caught holding the ball too much instead of moving it on....

Quote Originally Posted by robamiee View Post
    Hewett needs to stop playing for frees..@@@@s me as he gets caught holding the ball too much instead of moving it on....
    He is very slow....a summer with a sprint coach would help.