Page 170 of 267 FirstFirst ... 70120160166167168169170171172173174180220 ... LastLast
Results 2,029 to 2,040 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Maybe there is some truth to the potential Puopolo trade. Maybe a small forward line is the way the game is heading.

Would trading for Stringer make any sense if we give this and next years first round pick? My reason is that next year if we get Blakey we would have to use our first availabe pick anyway.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Cainit View Post
    Would trading for Stringer make any sense if we give this and next years first round pick? My reason is that next year if we get Blakey we would have to use our first availabe pick anyway.
    Nup. Need points nowdays. Trading picks just leaves us less points.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Agree with the positive comments on Nate Wilson. Lucky for GWS that they have a similar and equally good player in Zac Williams.

If GWS lose Wilson, Kennedy and Smith, which seems likely, their depth will really take a big hit. They still have plenty of talent, but it's draining off fast. I'm starting to doubt that they will be the force I thought they would be a couple of years ago.
    All the talk of dynasty before they even made a finals was just propaganda to stop them off their concession's earlier.

I seriously doubt a club can win a flag from a northern state without some assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    All the talk of dynasty before they even made a finals was just propaganda to stop them off their concession's earlier.

I seriously doubt a club can win a flag from a northern state without some assistance.
    I think there is a lot of merit in the first point. There really was a lot of negativity surrounding the two expansion clubs and the concessions they were given. Eddie Everywhere led the way with his multiple platforms of invective.

I am not sure what you mean by the second point.

I think it is too early to say that the Giants will or won�t win a flag. Dynasty talk just feeds newspaper readers, radio listeners and forum doomsayers. The future is still wide open though.

I remember Dermie prompting a discussion on SEN years ago about how many flags St Kilda would win with there current list (this was during there winning streak on 2004 and followed on from all the high draft choices they had secured in previous years). The idea that they would not win one flag was not even contemplated. I think Brereton suggested 3 or 4.

It is so hard to win a single premiership - which we clearly know, but I still wouldn�t discount the possibility of the Giants bouncing back from the �horror� year in which they finished fourth after the H&A. There window is not closing just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    I think there is a lot of merit in the first point. There really was a lot of negativity surrounding the two expansion clubs and the concessions they were given. Eddie Everywhere led the way with his multiple platforms of invective.

I am not sure what you mean by the second point.

I think it is too early to say that the Giants will or won�t win a flag. Dynasty talk just feeds newspaper readers, radio listeners and forum doomsayers. The future is still wide open though.

I remember Dermie prompting a discussion on SEN years ago about how many flags St Kilda would win with there current list (this was during there winning streak on 2004 and followed on from all the high draft choices they had secured in previous years). The idea that they would not win one flag was not even contemplated. I think Brereton suggested 3 or 4.

It is so hard to win a single premiership - which we clearly know, but I still wouldn�t discount the possibility of the Giants bouncing back from the �horror� year in which they finished fourth after the H&A. There window is not closing just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Beginning to wonder when next non Victorian flag will happen on MCG. Maybe needs to be two non vic clubs in GF given home ground and hostility factor.

Senior Player
    All in all, the better team won on the day and good luck to them.We will never know that if the game had been closer whether the umpires would have lent a helping hand. Glad deep down that we didn't have to find out.

Feeling we have the team to beat Richmond next year because we have mobile tall forwards that won't be run off like Walker and Jenkins were. As long as we don't pull the 0 and 6 trick again we should be in good shape for the finals. We are so lucky to have such a close knit team that performs admirably year after year despite the AFL handbrake.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Maybe there is some truth to the potential Puopolo trade. Maybe a small forward line is the way the game is heading.
    info?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    It's interesting conjecture. I suspect it is linked with the greed for speed, meaning leg speed. I don't know whether we have our quota of that, but I think on the whole that brain speed gets you further.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

My doubts about a northern club winning a flag without concessions is that they need assistance to overcome things taken for granted by southern clubs.

If you look at the flags won by qld and NSW, you have the lions which was a super team assembled by a merger and cap assistance. Since that has been removed they are at the bottom of the ladder.
    Swans won flags with cost of living allowance, and have remained competitive by good management and a couple of guns via academy's.
    Gold coast got the same concessions as GWS yet sit outside top 10. GWS can't get past prelim with startup concession s but are now losing players that concessions are removed.

I have a feeling the MCG gives a Vic team a 10% advantage in a grand final, so an interstate club has to be a 10% better side just to break even. You can build a 10% better side by 10% extra cap space.

I think 10% is underselling it. Stats probably point to more like 20%.

The AFL has, suprise, suprise, an integrity problem. I don't think it will be fixed until Gill is gone. He is guided by the Vic media.

Sounds like Richmond's Anthony Miles has been linked the Swans. Don't know anything about him except that he's been playing well in the reserves but only managed to play a few games this year. Is he the kind of player we'd want?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Cainit View Post
    Wouldn't have him in a million years. Has caused a lot of big issues at Footscray. Any club that takes him does so at severe risk.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Sounds like Richmond's Anthony Miles has been linked the Swans. Don't know anything about him except that he's been playing well in the reserves but only managed to play a few games this year. Is he the kind of player we'd want?
    Nup. Didn't get a game for reason/s. A lot of young players got the nod before him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    My doubts about a northern club winning a flag without concessions is that they need assistance to overcome things taken for granted by southern clubs.

If you look at the flags won by qld and NSW, you have the lions which was a super team assembled by a merger and cap assistance. Since that has been removed they are at the bottom of the ladder.
    Swans won flags with cost of living allowance, and have remained competitive by good management and a couple of guns via academy's.
    Gold coast got the same concessions as GWS yet sit outside top 10. GWS can't get past prelim with startup concession s but are now losing players that concessions are removed.

I have a feeling the MCG gives a Vic team a 10% advantage in a grand final, so an interstate club has to be a 10% better side just to break even. You can build a 10% better side by 10% extra cap space.

I think 10% is underselling it. Stats probably point to more like 20%.

The AFL has, suprise, suprise, an integrity problem. I don't think it will be fixed until Gill is gone. He is guided by the Vic media.
    Certainly a side like Richmond who played 12 games there in 2017 have a bigger advantage, but you have to make the finals. Melbourne had as many home games but bombed out at the end. Sides like Essendon and St Kilda who have Ethihad as their home ground don't perform as well there.