Page 230 of 267 FirstFirst ... 130180220226227228229230231232233234240 ... LastLast
Results 2,749 to 2,760 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Veteran Site Admin
    I agree with Ludwig that anyone we draft this year is for the future, not an immediate premiership challenge. We could get lucky and find someone ready to slot in straight away - ala Heeney and Mills - but those two were effectively top 3 draft picks and also had the advantage of already knowing the club well (and the club them). Or we might find someone who can play some senior footy, even if they're not physically ready - ala Florent or Haywood - but that would be a bonus, not the aim.

Veterans List
    From the AFL website about delisted WCE Tom Lamb, my bolding

Collingwood was a big admirer of Lamb during his draft year, while Sydney and the Western Bulldogs have also been linked to the Edithvale-Aspendale product.

Standing at 193cm, the NAB AFL Academy graduate believes his height may have been a hindrance to his progress, as he often played as a key forward (in the WAFL) when his elite endurance is much better suited to a flank or the wing.

Any 18yo we draft will have little impact on our 2018, it's kids like Florent & Hayward who may step up next year with a full pre-season and a development year under their belt. The whole squad should be better placed for 2018, last year we had very few players complete a full pre-season, many had surgery and were late/very late starters, we get an extra two weeks this year because of the early exit, hopefully there's no glandular fever etc!

But we could roll the dice and grab a mature player, we have list spots and the ability to rookie AJ to create a further spot.
    Last edited by 707; 26th October 2017 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    But we could roll the dice and grab a mature player, we have list spots and the ability to rookie AJ to create a further spot.
    Don't forget that we have Robbie Fox who will be 25 in April. It's fair to say that if he can't find his way into our best 25-30, at least, that he will be delisted, so he's the mature ager that should be challenging for a spot next year. I don't know if it pays to have another one. We can see by the recent delistings that there are always reasonable mature aged players who can fill a spot if we have the need, but if we don't have the need, there's no point in adding them to the queue for senior spots.

When I did my best 22 for next year it really turned into a best 26 with Florent, McVeigh, Towers and Cunningham just missing. I have Aliir, Dawson, Newman and Hayward in the 22, but even if you flip them, it's still a solid best 26. We also have depth in the ruck and KPF positions. We have a pretty solid group of rookies, as only Edwards retired the rest were good enough to be retained another year. I expect a few 2nd and 3rd year players who haven't yet played a senior game to show AFL credentials next year.

We should get 2 capable players with picks 14 and 33. KB usually has a few good smokies, like Papley and Melican, so I wouldn't discount a pleasant surprise at pick 51 and the rookie draft. We keep getting in more good players than those going out, so we're heading in the right direction.

At the risk of repeating myself: every line coach will be different in 2018. I wonder how that will change the way we play; who�s in the best 22; and who we go after in the draft?

Veteran Site Admin
    I've just seen the first delisted name who has piqued my interest (and my surprise that he's not been retained) - (ex) Brisbane rookie Reuben Williams. I watched us play the Lions' NEAFL side at least three times last year (I can't recall whether I saw the H&A that we won) and I thought he was eye-catching, if a little raw. For a side like Brisbane, where list spots surely can't be at a premium, I'm surprised he's not been given a second year on their rookie list.

I hope he gets another chance at another club, whether that's us or someone else. Maybe the Suns will give him a go.

I think outside run is still an area we need competition for spots and depth in 2018
    I think Hartung would thrive at Sydney

Endurance king looking for new club after delisting
    Hawks cut three, but a lifeline is on offer - M.afl.com.au

- - - Updated - - -

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-10/young-lion-reuben-william-caught-drink-driving-

Veterans List
    The astute observation of a ressie watcher! What type of player is he Liz?

I'm assuming now that all our remaining rookies are staying for 2018. So that's minus Melican, Murray & Edwards meaning three new rookies although one spot could be AJ if we need to rookie rather than one year main list him.

Young Lion Reuben William caught drink driving - M.afl.com.au

Liz how would William compare to Sam Murray ?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I've just seen the first delisted name who has piqued my interest (and my surprise that he's not been retained) - (ex) Brisbane rookie Reuben Williams. I watched us play the Lions' NEAFL side at least three times last year (I can't recall whether I saw the H&A that we won) and I thought he was eye-catching, if a little raw. For a side like Brisbane, where list spots surely can't be at a premium, I'm surprised he's not been given a second year on their rookie list.

I hope he gets another chance at another club, whether that's us or someone else. Maybe the Suns will give him a go.
    Yes. When I saw that name, I too was surprised and had this vague recollection of really being impressed by his game, which must have been the NEAFL GF. There have been many big names delisted, but William is the one I would think is worth taking a 2nd look at. On the downside, he's been 2 years on the rookie list of the wooden spooners and hasn't gotten a senior game, so something must be amiss.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Young Lion Reuben William caught drink driving - M.afl.com.au

Liz how would William compare to Sam Murray ?
    That article addresses a misconception I had about William- clearly he's just finished his second year on the Lions' rookie list, not his first year. That does change my assessment of him somewhat, given you'd expect to see a bit more polish by a player's second year.

Warming the Bench
    Michael Close from Brisbane also delisted. I'm sure he'll get picked up by someone