Page 255 of 267 FirstFirst ... 155205245251252253254255256257258259265 ... LastLast
Results 3,049 to 3,060 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Senior Player
    Highly recommend Kinnear's interview discussing the draftees. A depth of insight about all (as you'd expect). Seems we had an eye on Ling for a while.

Draft wrap: Beatson - sydneyswans.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Highly recommend Kinnear's interview discussing the draftees. A depth of insight about all (as you'd expect). Seems we had an eye on Ling for a while.

Draft wrap: Beatson - sydneyswans.com.au
    Enjoyed KB's swipe at the "Media Experts".

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Beatson says we will take �a couple� of Cat B rookies out of our Academy. You�d imagine Jake Brown would be one and the other one might be Sam Wicks who played some great games as a small forward in the NEAFL. Other names that played in the NEAFL include Sam Barkley, Harrison Carr, Jake Hardman (who has a 31 Dec birthday!), Jarrod Osborne, Luke Robertson, Luke Skrivanic and Liam Maze

Also mentioned we will take 3 Cat A rookies to round out our list.
    Last edited by ugg; 25th November 2017 at 01:29 AM.

Senior Player
    I like what I see from our draftees. ling looks a likely prospect and with Jones and mills likely playing more midfield I see why Stoddart has been selected.

Although for me McCartin is the really interesting one. He is advertised as a marking key position forward but when I watched the highlight reels he immediately reminded me of Jeremy McGovern and I think has intercpting defender written all over him. We can still draft blakey next year as a forward

I agree that McCartin is a very interesting choice. He is basically only 2 months older than Blakey. With him finishing school next year, it is almost like we have taken him as a pre-selection 2018 draftee. He and Nick can develop together as our key forwards ready to take over when Buddy hits the wall (hopefully not for a few years). Realistically, if McCartin was born two days later, he would be looking at being a first rounder in next year's super draft.

There have been a number of posts showing that it's hard to find a quality key forward outside the 1st round, and even then there are plenty of flops. The option we took is try to project the potential of a young lightly exposed player in McCartin who might have been a first rounder next year, as AB Swannie says, if born a couple of a days later.

It's interesting how the coaches take a back seat at the draft table and list managers take control. And thank goodness too, or else we would have drafted 3 ruckmen.

Here is a list of potential rookies. The reality is though that Alex Johnson will be one of the 3 Cat A rookies. My 2 academy picks would be James Bell & Liam Maze.

Hayden McLean KPP-Ruck
    Jordan Butts KPP-Either end
    Trent Mynott Inside mid-Medium defender
    Matthew Day Medium defender-Medium forward
    Haiden Schloithe Inside mid
    Bailey Henderson Outside mid
    Ethan Penrith Small defender-Mid
    Riley Jones Third tall defender
    David Handley Medium forward
    Nathan Krueger KPP-Either end
    Jackson Edwards Inside mid

Plenty of others as well
    I FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED!!!!!

Veterans List
    I'm very excited by these three choices, especially Ling and Stoddart. Very impressive highlights reels, both accurate left footers, both very fast (in body and mind) and both with excellent evasive skills. Lings pace off the mark is quite astounding. They appear to be just what we need.....well done KB and associates! McCartin looks an excellent prospect as a project player, who, as some on here have already stated, could have been top ten next year. Great foresight by our recruiters. I'd say overall, an excellent draft for our club.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

Also, Geelong Advertiser did an article recently on Ling and has a pic of him sitting at his desk I assume in his bedroom, on the wall a signed framed Swans guernsey so he's one of us, must be stoked!
    I saw the photo of Ling with the swans jumper in the background. How excited must he be to be playing for the club he supports!

And I saw a video of Stoddart watching the draft on tv and when we selected him all his family and friends in the room went absolutely nuts!!

When was the last time a player was disappointed to be drafted by the swans? Rocca??

Some more info about our draftees

Matthew Ling

Matthew Ling – AFL Draft Central
    Ling's Swans shock - K rock Football
    I think the media is sometimes a bit quick to assume that because draftees play for the same junior team they will be mates. However, this article suggests that Matt Ling and Tom McCartin are actually good friends: Falcons Draft Wrap - K rock Football

Tom McCartin

Tom McCartin – AFL Draft Central
    2017 AFL Draft prospects: Tom McCartin | Zero Hanger

Incidentally, I agree that if Tom doesn't one day make it as a KPF he could still be a really impressive KPD.

Ryley Stoddart

Ryley Stoddart – AFL Draft Central
    2017 AFL Draft Prospects: Ryley Stoddart | Zero Hanger

Here's a question: are Stoddart and Ling competing for one spot? They are very similar players: quick, rebounding defenders with good left feet. Can both fit in the same team?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I saw the photo of Ling with the swans jumper in the background. How excited must he be to be playing for the club he supports!

And I saw a video of Stoddart watching the draft on tv and when we selected him all his family and friends in the room went absolutely nuts!!

When was the last time a player was disappointed to be drafted by the swans? Rocca??
    Can you post link to Stoddart video?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's hard to question the Ling selection. We know we were interested in both Lachlan Fogarty and Jack Higgins, and were linked to Ed Richards as well. Longmire even visited Fogarty and Higgins in Melbourne a couple of days ago. So why did we choose Ling instead of these 3 more highly regarded players? Obviously we rated Ling the better prospect and I think that's saying something. Higgins especially had a solid consistent season. It's hard to say why he slipped so far.

Hope we take Jordan Butts in the rookie draft.
    I'm sure that our three draftees will be useful players, and were obviously selected to meet our future needs, but I also suspect we will come to regret not taking Jack Higgins (a bit like we did with Cyril Rioli). He is the one youngster that stood out to me this year. The top 30 draftees are all technically and athletically superior, but Higgins has that extra star factor: just a bit faster with a handball, a bit more slippery in tight contests, a bit more competitive when the chips are down. I have no idea what he's like as a person, but he was clearly the best youngster that I saw in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post

I'm pretty sure that he's a Geelong supporter. Maybe the swans are his second favourite or there is some other connection.