Page 41 of 267 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Don't mind players going into coaching roles at rival clubs as long as they're not a finals contender. It was uncomfortable watching Kirk in the Freo box.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Towers is 27. That means he's at the peak of his playing abilities right now, and next year. Keeping him on the list for his long is so that he pays back our patience right now. Not playing him when he's at his peak means we've wasted all the development on him.

Towers should be a locked in selection during 2017 and 2018.
    This is bizarre logic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    2. Possibly you are undervaluing these players. Marsh would be worth close to a 2nd rounder on his own. It's taken a while but he's shown he can play at the level and is young with a career in front of him whereas many 2nd round picks don't make it at all. He could easily play a hundred games for a new club. Sinclair is possibly worth more as he is a proven ruck when most young rucks are merely prospects that will take an aeon to develop. I reckon these guys are worth a pick thirty something and a pick forty something respectively which is better than the average 2nd round pick (I think?).
    It's a shame Marsh can't play taller as Rampe can. But I believe he has the potential to become the Nick Smith replacement in the next year or two. We should definitely hang on to him.

If you look back to Rampe in 2013 and 2014 he wasn't playing on talls he play on Gunston that was about it he play on the third tall most of the time. His game has expanded since Malceski left and has become more attacking and the last two years he's played on some key forwards. Its only Marsh's second year in the team give him time to develop at this stage in his career he's very similar to Rampe in 2014.

I didn't intend any disrespect for Sinclair or Marsh. They are both improving players, but don't think they can become fixtures in our best 22.

I'm not anticipating Tippett leaving, mainly due to his salary, especially in relation to his form. Sinclair would be an okay forward ruck, if he could only mark the ball. We have 4 ruckmen now and once Cameron gets going next year, I think Sinclair would be our 4th in line. We will eventually go to a 1 ruck option, unless either Tippett or Cameron can establish themselves as 35 to 40 goal players.

I've commented before that I have been impressed by Marsh's progress, although it has come along slowly. He's already shown that he's a decent replacement for Rampe when the chips are down, but there are simply too many players competing for his spot and at this stage of his career he would be better off if he can get a starting role elsewhere. We will go to 3 tall defender option soon. With Reg, Melican, Aliir, Talia, Maibaum and AJ, it's just inevitable. Newman looks set to become a regular in the side and we have Murray and O'Riordan waiting in the wings and playing good footy in the ressies. And then there's the ever reliable Laidler. So what future is there for Marsh at the Swans?

Smith is only 29, so it could be a few years before we need to find a replacement. I don't think it needs to be a lock-down defender either, as the modern small defenders also can transition to attack. Florent, Fisher and Ronke are a few players I have in mind for that role in the future.

I hear what you are saying. If we were offered a reasonable pick for Marsh and/or he wanted to go, we should definitely consider it. He deserves the opportunity to be playing seniors, just like Nank. And he may get it at another club. On the other hand, he is very versatile and becoming quite experienced and we need some depth players like that to call on too. I think it's a win-win whether he goes (at the right price) or stays. I certainly wouldn't simply de-list him.

Anyone see Buckley on Footy classified. He was very good, and way different to the FIGJAM he's famous for...

.. anyway, he had a very good quote about list management/recruiting/trading, and it was something along the lines of the club comes absolutely first in any decision. The footy department do what is best for the club first and foremost, not the player. If you apply that lens to recent discussion here it gives a different perspective.

Sage advise.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    SEN?
    Speaks Empty Nothings.

Caters for the absolute nuffies who have no life other than the Melbourne perspective of AFL.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Macca ... actually is from Western Sydney.
    Yeah, nah. Don't know where you pulled that one from. He is from Forresters Beach up here in on the Central Coast
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    Yeah, nah. Don't know where you pulled that one from. He is from Forresters Beach up here in on the Central Coast
    Jarrad McVeigh - Wikipedia

Could a few of you clarify where in the 2nd round you would expect to trade Marsh & Sinclair? There is a lot of difference between pick 19 & pick 36, also taking into account Hayward was taken at pick 21

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Could a few of you clarify where in the 2nd round you would expect to trade Marsh & Sinclair? There is a lot of difference between pick 19 & pick 36, also taking into account Hayward was taken at pick 21
    You have to find a club that needs these kinds of players. I figure Freo is the best bet. Sandi will be 35 next year and Griffin and Zac Clarke don't even deserve to be playing in the WAFL and they just drafted a kid named Sean Darcy, who looks like he needs to drop 10 kilos just to get off the ground. Someone like Sinclair would look good in this side. I was pleased about Marsh getting drafted as he has some good attributes; marks the ball well and is generally a good kick. He's from WA, so easy to go home.

I figure Freo will be in the bottom 8 next year, so a 2nd round pick should be around pick 25. I think that's okay for the 2 of them. We should try to get some extra picks for 2018 because it's a fair chance that Nick Blakey will get a bid in the top 5, so it could cost us at least our 1st 2 picks if we finish in a good position on the ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    You have to find a club that needs these kinds of players. I figure Freo is the best bet. Sandi will be 35 next year and Griffin and Zac Clarke don't even deserve to be playing in the WAFL and they just drafted a kid named Sean Darcy, who looks like he needs to drop 10 kilos just to get off the ground. Someone like Sinclair would look good in this side. I was pleased about Marsh getting drafted as he has some good attributes; marks the ball well and is generally a good kick. He's from WA, so easy to go home.

I figure Freo will be in the bottom 8 next year, so a 2nd round pick should be around pick 25. I think that's okay for the 2 of them. We should try to get some extra picks for 2018 because it's a fair chance that Nick Blakey will get a bid in the top 5, so it could cost us at least our 1st 2 picks if we finish in a good position on the ladder.
    There's is no way freo will give up pick 25 for those 2. Marsh was kept out of the side because of a rookie in Melican & Sinclair couldn't catch a cold in Alaska. I'd say late 40's at best. Marsh has no more trade currency than Talia did when traded to Sydney. Talia basically was given away for free but with an indiscretion that I think effected the trade. So I'd say he'd go for late pick 50ish at best by himself . Hamling went for basically pick 35 & he was a premiership player. Now Sinclair by himself would go for around pick 50ish at best as another club will have to take on his wage from Sydney and has shown not one bit of improvement since crossing over. Plays as a ruck/forward but can't mark so basically makes him just a mobile ruck. Vardy went to WCE for pick 75. You can't package them up & think you'll give away 2 players that are worth around pick 50 on there own n because there is 2 of them you divide it by 2 n get 25. It worked 15-20 years ago but not anymore. Freo will trade for top end quality e.g. McCarthy, Hill & Hamling. No way will they take players on of that ilk. If they did they would have took on Jonathan Marsh. They will develop Logue, who I've watched a bit of playing off half back in the wafl, and look at someone like Naughton in the draft. Personally I'd stick with Marsh n see what he develops into. Sinclair I'd ride out his contract n give him away. He's never ever going to be a premiership ruckman. Develop Cameron, look at Liam Maze n go to the draft.