Page 63 of 267 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk31 View Post
    To be honest, I am surprised we have not heard about a possible signing for at least one of these boys. I don't want both to leave however I would be extremely disappointed in losing Zak Jones especially as he is just starting to show consistently why we drafted him. Sam Reid I don't want to lose either however this will be through free-agency where Zak will need to be traded. I spoke to a high-profile former AFL player yesterday who is also in the media and he thinks it does not look for both of them staying at the Swans. Also may I ask what did Zak Jones exactly say on Foxtel the other night.
    I don't know what's happened to the mystique of the Swans. In late 2013 we secured Buddy Franklin and during the 2014 season the whole of the AFL including the AFL administration were fearful that the Swans would keep poaching the best AFL players. It seemed that every available superstar was coming to the Swans and joining the Bondi Billionaires club. Be it Ryder, Dangerfield. I thought we could have them all.

Now we are struggling to hold onto two players that we really want to keep.

What's happened to the era where we could get whatever player we wanted and hold onto the players we wanted?

Senior Player
    For sure, Ben Reid makes Tippo look healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Ben Reid is always injured. If we took him we'd want him for unders.

Senior Player
    I'm going with the X Richards explanation. Even though Reid & Jones' current salaries appear quite decent, it only gets
    them a room in a share house with a bunch of Irish backpackers out Clovelly way these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Club 80 View Post
    I don't know what's happened to the mystique of the Swans. In late 2013 we secured Buddy Franklin and during the 2014 season the whole of the AFL including the AFL administration were fearful that the Swans would keep poaching the best AFL players. It seemed that every available superstar was coming to the Swans and joining the Bondi Billionaires club. Be it Ryder, Dangerfield. I thought we could have them all.

Now we are struggling to hold onto two players that we really want to keep.

What's happened to the era where we could get whatever player we wanted and hold onto the players we wanted?
    Last edited by KTigers; 5th July 2017 at 03:40 PM.

Just wondering if we lose either of Reid or Jones does anyone think we will bundle our 1st round picks together to trade to move up the draft order to try n get hold of Brander? Looked disappointing at chb against Lukosius but looked good against WA and played an absolute Ripa yesterday. Named at CHF in the U18 all Australian. Looks a perfect fit for us going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Just wondering if we lose either of Reid or Jones does anyone think we will bundle our 1st round picks together to trade to move up the draft order to try n get hold of Brander? Looked disappointing at chb against Lukosius but looked good against WA and played an absolute Ripa yesterday. Named at CHF in the U18 all Australian. Looks a perfect fit for us going forward.
    Only if we lost Reid for mine. History tends to teach us that the good KPFs will usually require a top ten pick so it would be a gamble worth taking, at the moment topping up the elite talent seems a good idea and with hopefully Blakey to come next year we'd have good stocks on the place.

If Reid stays then I would prefer to go for two latter first round draftees as mids.

If Reid goes then Tippett stays, our only option will be to try and get a serviceable season or two out of him as a stay at home full forward. I'd start to trying to get some of that beef off him that makes him so statue like on the field, have a look at the way he moved at Adelaide and how he moves now and it is chalk and cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    If Reid goes then Tippett stays, our only option will be to try and get a serviceable season or two out of him as a stay at home full forward. I'd start to trying to get some of that beef off him that makes him so statue like on the field, have a look at the way he moved at Adelaide and how he moves now and it is chalk and cheese
    I moved better 5 years ago than I do now too

Damien Barrett said McVeigh may play for another club next year with 2 years coaching after that, like Sam Mitchell.
    Also said he has one of the smartest footy brains going around.
    What are your sentiments regarding this scenario? Hope if this is true he doesn't go the GWS (his brother is there).

Senior Player
    I'd imagine McVeigh will almost certainly end up coaching somewhere, he's been doing it for years already on the
    field. The GWS backline may welcome a different voice to Heath Shaw's yelling at them non-stop for 120 minutes
    every week.

It would not surprise me if he went to another club. I think aspiring coaches move around to see how things are done differently at other clubs.

Otherwise he has spent all his career at the Swans under two head coaches. And he has only experienced consistent success.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Damien Barrett said McVeigh may play for another club next year with 2 years coaching after that, like Sam Mitchell.
    Also said he has one of the smartest footy brains going around.
    What are your sentiments regarding this scenario? Hope if this is true he doesn't go the GWS (his brother is there).
    Say it ain't so!!

But the reality is we can't have every ex-player on our coaching staff. Some stay (Crouch, Playfair, Shaw etc) come back (Kirky) some stay away (O'Keefe) but I'll remember them all for their time with the Swans - be it 300 games or one game.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Otherwise he has spent all his career at the Swans under two head coaches. And he has only experienced consistent success.
    Terrible to have constant success. Although I guess that's what every team strives for (and no one achieves - America went close with the America's Cup, Centrals had a pretty good run in the SANFL)

I think as a coach it would have been educational to be at a club like Brisbane over the past few seasons. Where morale is low and they don't know when the next win is coming. Or seeing a gradual rebuild at teams like Carlton or Melbourne.