Page 222 of 267 FirstFirst ... 122172212218219220221222223224225226232 ... LastLast
Results 2,653 to 2,664 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I agree with afl.com's best starting 22. The only change I'd make is Dawson in for Florent. Naismith could come in for Tippett for a bit more durability but if Tippett hit's form he definitely takes the cake.

Best 22: How your club could line up in 2018 - AFL.com.au
    Melican is in our best 22. Probably for Aliir, but reckon they should find a way to play both.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I agree with afl.com's best starting 22. The only change I'd make is Dawson in for Florent. Naismith could come in for Tippett for a bit more durability but if Tippett hit's form he definitely takes the cake.

Best 22: How your club could line up in 2018 - AFL.com.au
    No spot for Rohan or Melican? I'd have both of them in.

Who comes out of the 2017 Swans best 22 to make way in the 2018 version. It's hard to see many obvious candidates given how important Towers becomes as second ruck. I wondered about Hewett makes way for Mills in the midfield? Opens up a spot for Aliir in defence. Smallish quickish forwards we've got a lot to choose from - Rohan, Papley, Hayward, Florent, Jack. Will Jack be making way this year for younger options? Surely Dawson has to get games in 2018.

Melican comes in for McVeigh, who is probably in our best 22, but becomes a depth player in order to let younger players develop. He could become a regular if the kids don't produce.

Aliir, Dawson, Hayward and Florent are all potential A grade players who should be given adequate time to prove they can hold down a regular spot in the side. Dawson was held back until his 3rd year, same as Hewett was, and now 2 years later George got to 5th in our B&F. Dawson's 2nd year was better than Hewett's 2nd year and he would have won the NEAFL MVP had he played all the games.

I think Towers will be the one to fall out of our best 22, but not by much. Harry Cunningham will also challenge for a spot. I would have Rohan ahead of both of them and it's hard to see him not making the team if he gets through the pre-season unscathed, and it's a big if.

With any luck Tippett will be ready to start his pre-season training by round 1 and get into the NEAFL by mid season. Our starting ruckman will be the one not on the Injury List. I could even be Darcy Cameron.

It's good to do the best 22 as it highlights why we had a quiet trade period and also how far down the pecking order Sam Murray was, despite having line breaking pace and the potential to become an AFL player.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I am amused at all of these Collingwood supporters going ballistic at the trading of Murray for a future second round pick. Time will tell of course on who won the deal but it's fun to see the Pies supporters in meltdown. Imagine if the Pies have another bad start to the season with the re-signing of Buckley and these sort of deals. It will be fun to watch in a macabre kind of way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was listening to SEN after the Murray trade and they were telling the Collingwood supporters to calm down because next year they will be using their picks for an academy player and I think I heard a father and son. Either way I hope they fall down the ladder again so we get a better pick ???? .

I was just looking at the indicative draft order and note that Sydney has picks 14, 33, 51 then the next one is 88. Does this seem to indicate that they will only use 3 live picks in the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    I was just looking at the indicative draft order and note that Sydney has picks 14, 33, 51 then the next one is 88. Does this seem to indicate that they will only use 3 live picks in the draft?
    Yes seems like it. We gave away Murray w/ pick 70. They'll upgrade Melican with back 88 I'd imagine

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Melican comes in for McVeigh, who is probably in our best 22, but becomes a depth player in order to let younger players develop. He could become a regular if the kids don't produce.

Aliir, Dawson, Hayward and Florent are all potential A grade players who should be given adequate time to prove they can hold down a regular spot in the side. Dawson was held back until his 3rd year, same as Hewett was, and now 2 years later George got to 5th in our B&F. Dawson's 2nd year was better than Hewett's 2nd year and he would have won the NEAFL MVP had he played all the games.

I think Towers will be the one to fall out of our best 22, but not by much. Harry Cunningham will also challenge for a spot. I would have Rohan ahead of both of them and it's hard to see him not making the team if he gets through the pre-season unscathed, and it's a big if.

With any luck Tippett will be ready to start his pre-season training by round 1 and get into the NEAFL by mid season. Our starting ruckman will be the one not on the Injury List. I could even be Darcy Cameron.

It's good to do the best 22 as it highlights why we had a quiet trade period and also how far down the pecking order Sam Murray was, despite having line breaking pace and the potential to become an AFL player.
    What about Tower as 2nd ruck. If he drops out, who plays this role?

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    What about Tower as 2nd ruck. If he drops out, who plays this role?
    Reid, Aliir and Parker.

Now that clubs are only playing 1 ruckman, some are really putting in a lot of minutes. But every club is in the same situation. We will probably see more coordination in 2nd ruckmen coming up against each other. With our depth of ruckmen, injury permitting, we could rotate them from game to game so they are well rested when they do play.

It's a shame Darcy Cameron injured his shoulder and missed half the season. I think he's got as good a chance as any of them to be our #1 ruckman next year. He has the best overall game of the lot. He just needs to show he can do it at AFL level.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Reid, Aliir and Parker.

Now that clubs are only playing 1 ruckman, some are really putting in a lot of minutes. But every club is in the same situation. We will probably see more coordination in 2nd ruckmen coming up against each other. With our depth of ruckmen, injury permitting, we could rotate them from game to game so they are well rested when they do play.

It's a shame Darcy Cameron injured his shoulder and missed half the season. I think he's got as good a chance as any of them to be our #1 ruckman next year. He has the best overall game of the lot. He just needs to show he can do it at AFL level.
    Agree that Darcy Cameron has great potential. The rest is madness: Aliir has been tried and failed as a ruckman. Reid shouldn't play in the ruck nor should Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    Agree that Darcy Cameron has great potential. The rest is madness: Aliir has been tried and failed as a ruckman. Reid shouldn't play in the ruck nor should Parker.
    It's not true that Aliir has failed in the ruck. He's never played in the ruck at AFL level and he's done well enough at NEAFL level.

I don't see why Reid can't play 2nd ruck against a similar type player who would also be playing 2nd ruck. He goes okay in the ruck.

Parker has been used many times in the ruck and has acquitted himself well enough given his height. He jumps well.

We are talking about 7 or 8 ruck contests a game. It's not such a big deal who goes in. The other team is facing the same situation. It's not really a ruck contest, but just a 'put the ball in play' situation. Richmond have used Shaun Grigg who only goes up in earnest about half the time at best. It seems to work well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Not sure what you are referring to re Mumford. He was out of contract with us when the Swans let him go. Yes he had one year left on his GWS contract but it sounds as if the decision to quit was his (based on medical advice) - even if the club didn�t try to convince him otherwise (and GWS have now given him an alternative career through a coaching position so he hasn�t been left out on his own).

And re contracts - we discussed this earlier in this thread. A club (with approval from the AFL) can delist a contracted player but then have to pay out the remaining contract term and that full amount is counted in the salary cap in the year in which it is paid. So if you are suggesting this should be done with Tippett, the 3 years left in his contract would all get counted in the cap for next year - which I suspect would put the Swans in the red.

Further re Tippett, I for one am tired of the negativity towards him. He has had a wretched run with injuries; some people seem to think this is a sort of moral failure on his part (comments on him �not delivering� etc.). Where is the compassion that has been shown to AJ who has been on our list for the last FIVE years without playing a single senior match?

And before everyone jumps on me re the salary differential between Tippett and AJ, Tippett�s salary over the time he has been with the Swans (it seems now considerably less than in his first contract) reflects the market value put on KFFs and skilled ruck/forwards - roles which when fit & healthy Tippett filled extremely well.

(And there has been an opportunity cost for the Swans in retaining an unfit AJ - worth thinking about by those who bemoan the loss of Biggs for example.)

The investment in Tippett hasn�t worked out the way the Swans and the fans would have liked, but that is sheer bad luck. I for one really hope that the ankle surgery he has had enables him to return fit and to be the player we know he can be.

Ps: no one should read the above as a criticism of the club for showing loyalty to AJ. I am proud to support a club that treats its players with respect as it is now doing with Tippett (note that several times Longmire & Harley have referred to the professionalism with which Tippett has treated his rehabilitation periods and to his attempts to play through the pain of his ankle injury). I would just like to see more fans treat Tippett similarly.
    This is really great. I genuinely dislike the way Tippett is criticised. A lot of experts here. I remember the way people went on about Jack and Macca and Sydney in general after our horrid start. After round 7, that all changed. Let the (real) experts do their thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fringe players will always cop it. fact of life. Same people who love McVeigh, hate on towers and tippet and vise versa.
    Swings and roundabouts.