Page 209 of 267 FirstFirst ... 109159199205206207208209210211212213219259 ... LastLast
Results 2,497 to 2,508 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    Having 2 first round picks next year in a better draft sounds good to me!
    It's in the club's interest to know NOW whether Nick Blakey will nominate the Swans in next year's draft. This will help dictate whether we should be accumulating points for next year so as we can get Blakey plus have some room to look at others in that superior draft. I think if we do a deal in the next couple of days to get picks for next year we can assume that Blakey is a good chance to come to us.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

With his Dad in a Snr Role at the club I dare say the Club know........probably only took a 50-100K pay rise to Dad to confirm he will be in Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    It's in the club's interest to know NOW whether Nick Blakey will nominate the Swans in next year's draft.
    As per previous discussion (to which no one seems to have a definitive answer) will Blakey get a choice if the Swans nominate him as an academy player? We know (via the rules) that he gets a choice via the F/S route - but there is nothing in the rules that says he gets a choice about the academy route.

Just because some in the media have talked about Blakey having three clubs he might choose amongst doesn�t make it necessarily correct. Few footy reporters bother to do original research.

Put it another way - could Heeney or Mills have declined to be nominated as a Swans academy player for the draft - and instead entered the general draft?

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Put it another way - could Heeney or Mills have declined to be nominated as a Swans academy player for the draft - and instead entered the general draft?
    My understanding is yes they could go into the ND, they weren't bound to accept a Swans nomination. Wasn't this an issue when Richard Colless seemed to upset Paul Roos when there was a suggestion that Melbourne wanted to draft one of the academy lads (his name escapes me) who ultimately was put on our rookie list, did a knee and was delisted?

The can decline but Sydney still have the right to grab them.

But back to the original point, this is why the decision is better known in advance

Warming the Bench
    It's in the club's interest to know NOW whether Nick Blakey will nominate the Swans in next year's draft. This will help dictate whether we should be accumulating points for next year so as we can get Blakey plus have some room to look at others in that superior draft.
    Would be good to know but either way I think we're better off having 2 first round draft pics next year. Unless we're targeting a specific player with our first rounder this year I'd be happy to trade it

Veteran Site Admin
    My understanding is yes they could go into the ND, they weren't bound to accept a Swans nomination. Wasn't this an issue when Richard Colless seemed to upset Paul Roos when there was a suggestion that Melbourne wanted to draft one of the academy lads (his name escapes me) who ultimately was put on our rookie list, did a knee and was delisted?
    You're thinking of Lloyd Perris. He was a scholarship player, not an academy player, so was operating under a slightly different set of rules. Nonetheless, Perris did NOT have the right to refuse a place on the Swans' senior list, had they offered that to him. They didn't. They offered him a spot on the rookie list only, and he was within his rights to decline that and nominate for the draft instead.

I think, if a player did do that but wasn't selected in the national draft, the host club then had the right to automatically put them on the rookie list. It never came to that with Perris, though, because he accepted the rookie list spot.

My reading of the academy rules (with a bit of common sense overlaid) is the same as Meg's. Participation in the academies isn't compulsory, but once a player signs up, he has some obligations to his host club. That should translate into him not having an option as to whether he is nominated by that host club as a potential academy selection (unlike FS players who've taken nothing from their father's club).

Veterans List
    I think we should always keep a first round pick in any draft.

On the veteran's list
    Reading the rules, it seems nothing is said about academy players who are also F/S. The F/S rules talk about choices, but don't even mention players who are also in academies. The academy rules don't mention F/S players at all. I think the media just find it easier to say he has a three-way choice rather than researching if the academy nomination can be refused.

I think it is all academic anyway. I can't see the club standing over its own Director of Coaching's son if he wants to go the North or Brisbane. Unless of course Blakey Snr wants him to stay against his will!

Reading an article on some obscure website (with probably little real intel) the author suggested that he had taken virtually no part in North's F/S program and that Brisbane may surprise everyone as his preferred club!

Veterans List
    What became of Lloyd Perris?

Senior Player

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Before delistings, retirements, etc., this year, GWS had 30 players under 26 yo and we had 33.
    It would be a devoted fan who would rank out best under 26 vs there's.