Page 164 of 267 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174214264 ... LastLast
Results 1,957 to 1,968 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Senior Player
    I know I'm probably in the minority on this but I don't love Mills in the backline and would love to see him used in the midfield rotations. As per Liz's points above I think he could offer us something which we are currently lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    I know I'm probably in the minority on this but I don't love Mills in the backline and would love to see him used in the midfield rotations. As per Liz's points above I think he could offer us something which we are currently lacking.
    Moving Mills to the midfield has had my vote all year. I agree with Liz's assessment on Mills, as well as Heeney and Hanners, but I do like Heeney on the ball because of his physical pressure. Kennedy, Parker, Heeney and Hewett make for a powerful on ball core. We have a big midfield group and there will be a lot of rotations, which is a good thing in my book.

As good as Jake Lloyd has been in defence, I'm inclined to move him more forward in our structure as well, for some of the same reasons as for Mills. I like both of them with the ball making that last pass into our forward line. They lower their eyes and don't just bomb it in to Buddy like so many of our players tend to do (and that's when we tend to get beaten in games).

Mills and Lloyd to the midfield to be replaced in the back line by Aliir and Jones. Better ball use through the centre and a more physical and quicker back line.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Moving Mills to the midfield has had my vote all year. I agree with Liz's assessment on Mills, as well as Heeney and Hanners, but I do like Heeney on the ball because of his physical pressure. Kennedy, Parker, Heeney and Hewett make for a powerful on ball core. We have a big midfield group and there will be a lot of rotations, which is a good thing in my book.

As good as Jake Lloyd has been in defence, I'm inclined to move him more forward in our structure as well, for some of the same reasons as for Mills. I like both of them with the ball making that last pass into our forward line. They lower their eyes and don't just bomb it in to Buddy like so many of our players tend to do (and that's when we tend to get beaten in games).

Mills and Lloyd to the midfield to be replaced in the back line by Aliir and Jones. Better ball use through the centre and a more physical and quicker back line.
    For the most part I like the sound of this, except I'd like to see Newman off half back. Jones can rotate through half back but I like him in the midfield

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

I actually like Jones in the midfield, more than as a true defender. That doesn't mean he won't sometimes be important in bringing the ball out of defence (given that midfielders tend to drift down and help clog up the defence) but I like his line breaking ability through the middle. I also think he's capable of very damaging (in a positive way) passes into the forward line. He does try to pick out a target and spear the ball onto the chest of a leading player, rather than bomb it long and high without direction. His issue is that he can also be damaging in a negative way when his kicks don't hit targets. That's not isolated to him - all our midfielders (and most midfielders of most teams) are guilty of this at times. It's just a matter of relative frequency and maybe learning with experience which kicks he is capable of pulling off and which he isn't. But his mistakes tend to be poorly directed kicks that are trying to pick out a target, rather than random kicks that depend on brilliance by the forward or a bit of luck to pay off.

Edit: I've just seen Mattybloods post immediately above. I agree with him that this solves the problem of how to best use Newman. I think he's most effective off a half-back flank and part of the reason he slightly lost his way in the second half of the year was that McVeigh's return pushed him out of the defence into some ill-defined position where he struggled to have the same impact.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I actually like Jones in the midfield, more than as a true defender. That doesn't mean he won't sometimes be important in bringing the ball out of defence (given that midfielders tend to drift down and help clog up the defence) but I like his line breaking ability through the middle. I also think he's capable of very damaging (in a positive way) passes into the forward line. He does try to pick out a target and spear the ball onto the chest of a leading player, rather than bomb it long and high without direction. His issue is that he can also be damaging in a negative way when his kicks don't hit targets. That's not isolated to him - all our midfielders (and most midfielders of most teams) are guilty of this at times. It's just a matter of relative frequency and maybe learning with experience which kicks he is capable of pulling off and which he isn't. But his mistakes tend to be poorly directed kicks that are trying to pick out a target, rather than random kicks that depend on brilliance by the forward or a bit of luck to pay off.

Edit: I've just seen Mattybloods post immediately above. I agree with him that this solves the problem of how to best use Newman. I think he's most effective off a half-back flank and part of the reason he slightly lost his way in the second half of the year was that McVeigh's return pushed him out of the defence into some ill-defined position where he struggled to have the same impact.
    I'm with you here as well Liz, Zac rotating through the mids as well, Newman back

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I would be happy with Kennedy, Parker, Mills and Hewett feeding it out to Hanners, Heeney, Lloyd and Jones.
    Sounds good in theory, though with possibly the exception of Lloyd, none of these outside midfielders are exceptional kicks.

Motlop is a free agent this year.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Overrated, overpriced, under performer.

That's why the Cat's won't stand in his way.
    sprite

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think where Mills comes into the equation is that he's a more natural ball winner in heavily contested areas than either Heeney or Hanners. Admittedly that assessment is based purely off what I saw of him as a 17yo at NEAFL level, but he did show a "see-ball, get-ball" inclination, combined with an ability to quickly spot options and move the ball effectively to someone in more space. It remains to be seen whether he can show the same traits at senior level but I hope he soon gets the opportunity to try.
    This is interesting. All year I have heard people advocate for Mills to be added to the midfielder in the future. I have not seen him in that role and have wondered whether he could make that transition, or whether he should. He has played so well in defence, largely because he reads the play so well, it seems like this is the perfect spot for him. I don�t really see him battle for the ball below his knees - and he hasn�t really needed to. Maybe that is part of his talent.

When James Hird first came into the league I didn�t really see his potential in the middle either. He positioned himself so well around the ground and read the play so well that he didn�t really need to fight for possession in the way that others did. He was unstylish, but effective, in these efforts also. A born footballer. However, when he moved into the centre he became even better. His play was sublime and I was often awestruck by how he was able to singlehandedly change the course of a game by moving to where he was needed.

If Mills is able to read the play in the centre like he does behind the ball, he would be worth his weight in gold. Pace is really only an issue when the ball is not being won, although I do wonder how quick he is with his hands. It will be interesting to watch his development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't mention it earlier, but I had Newman as part of a 7 man defensive group. There may be others to come into the picture depending on how they go in the preseason. I like Florent and COR as up and coming options for our defence.

It's a difficult call on Jones because he has value both in defence and the midfield, but I'm leaning toward defence as I feel there is a greater need for a run and carry player from our back line. Reg, Melican, Aliir, Rampe and Smith are the real core of the defence. We have a number of options after that.

I think we are capable of being a more dynamic offensive team. We certainly have the goal kicking power. Add Hayward and Dawson and we have 4 forwards who can easily make the distance from outside 50 and a few others that are good chances from around the 50 mtr mark, including most of our midfielders. We just need to get our midfield group to pick out the best option. Mills is also quite a long kick. Hewett and Lloyd are not long kicks, but quite accurate from within 40 out.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    Overrated, overpriced, under performer.
    Should be right at home then.

Overrated. His finals were exceptional this year. Inconsistency is his problem.

Overpriced. Cats paid overs, but his new contract is up for neg. If we overpay him, it's our fault.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    New whipping boy?