Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 1 - Syd vs Port

We will most likely go with the Naismith-Tippett ruck duo with something like a 60-40 split. Naismith is our best ruckman. All the others are more forwards who can play in the ruck with Tippett being quite good at it. I would say Tippett is clearly the best ruck-forward the game. Cameron probably has moved ahead of Sinclair mainly due to his marking and goal kicking ability. Sinclair has never been much of a ruckman anyway, so has to have an impact around the ground, especially by not dropping easy marks.

Surprise package this year may be Lewis Melican. He's only played one great game, which happens to be the NEAFL GF. He seems to have taken that form into this season. He was one of our best on Friday. I noticed he can kick well on his left side. He has good pace and defends well and he's still only 20 yo. 2 years ago we were all wondering what would happen to our defence when Ted and Reg retired. It's looking very solid now. Aliir, Melican, Talia, Maibaum and AJ. How can we play them all? I think one might become a forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We will most likely go with the Naismith-Tippett ruck duo with something like a 60-40 split. Naismith is our best ruckman. All the others are more forwards who can play in the ruck with Tippett being quite good at it. I would say Tippett is clearly the best ruck-forward the game. Cameron probably has moved ahead of Sinclair mainly due to his marking and goal kicking ability. Sinclair has never been much of a ruckman anyway, so has to have an impact around the ground, especially by not dropping easy marks.

Surprise package this year may be Lewis Melican. He's only played one great game, which happens to be the NEAFL GF. He seems to have taken that form into this season. He was one of our best on Friday. I noticed he can kick well on his left side. He has good pace and defends well and he's still only 20 yo. 2 years ago we were all wondering what would happen to our defence when Ted and Reg retired. It's looking very solid now. Aliir, Melican, Talia, Maibaum and AJ. How can we play them all? I think one might become a forward.
    Have to agree with all of this. I like the look of Melican thus far and think Florent is up for senior experience this year too. The last JLT should be interesting viewing. Robbo and Foote have both put their hands up for more midfield action and Jones is a beast. I hope Edwards gets another crack before round 1.

JLT Round 1 - Cameron 12 hit outs and 83% game time. Tippett 17 H/O in 74% game time.

JLT Round 2 - Cameron 0 hit outs and 35% game time. Tippett 12 H/O in 82% game time, and Naismith 17 in 54% game time. Sinclair 6 H/O in 62% game time.

Coaches seem to re

- - - Updated - - -

alise a way to go for Cameron as a Ruckman

Game time vs time in the ruck?
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Based on the first two preseason matches, here is my team for round 1:

Melican Rampe Smooch
    Mills Reg Swampy
    Heeney Hanners Hewett
    Parker Reid Towers
    Kizza Buds Tippett

Naismith Kennedy Jones

Inter: Laidler, Robbo, Florent, Lloyd

Emergencies: Foote, Cunningham, Cameron

Allir hasn't played any matches and I wouldn't want him coming into the team underdone.

I would still be projecting that Aliir will start round 1 if he plays on Sunday. He can get another match the following weel in the NEAFL practice game. I think the back 6 is still far from clear. Marsh or Laidler might play, but almost certainly not both. It's a tossup for me at this stage, but have been pleased with Marsh's progress. One of Melican or Talia could also play, or perhaps neither. Newman should still be in the picture if he gets picked and plays well on Sunday.

I think Cunningham will be a round 1 player. It's hard to say if Florent will be in there, but would take Harry over him at this stage. That said, I really like Ollie and think he will be a very good player and will definitely get games this year.

We should put Macca on the LTIL now. No way he's coming back in 7 weeks.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I would still be projecting that Aliir will start round 1 if he plays on Sunday. He can get another match the following weel in the NEAFL practice game. I think the back 6 is still far from clear. Marsh or Laidler might play, but almost certainly not both. It's a tossup for me at this stage, but have been pleased with Marsh's progress. One of Melican or Talia could also play, or perhaps neither. Newman should still be in the picture if he gets picked and plays well on Sunday.

I think Cunningham will be a round 1 player. It's hard to say if Florent will be in there, but would take Harry over him at this stage. That said, I really like Ollie and think he will be a very good player and will definitely get games this year.

We should put Macca on the LTIL now. No way he's coming back in 7 weeks.
    Agree with most of that (other than the bit about McVeigh - we have no way of knowing how long his calf injury will keep him out but it would have to be a very bad strain for them to know now he can't play for at least 8 weeks. And with three players already on the LTIL, I don't really think there's any point. Melican and Fox are probably the only rookies with any chance of pushing for early senior selection. COR might be an outside chance, but his non-selection last Friday makes me think he's not really in the picture quite yet.)

I think that Marsh, Melican and Laidler are probably fighting it out for, at most, two spots in the team; one if Aliir is available and selected.

I would also have Cunningham in the team, ahead of Florent at this stage, though if you remove one of the "third defenders", there's room for both in the side.

The coaches seem to really like what Hayward has to offer too. He didn't show much on Friday night, but the conditions were incredibly difficult for a player of his type. I think he might get another run against the Saints and could yet push his way into contention. He is a long shot, admittedly, but with McGlynn departed, Papley unavailable and Heeney slated to spend most of his time in the midfield, there are opportunities for newbies who can complement the tall timber of Reid, Buddy and Tippo.

Veterans List
    Think Melican is a big chance to debut based on his last three games. Did some nice things and looks composed in what he does. Laidler & Marsh fighting for one spot.

Aliir must play this week you'd think to be a R1 chance.

The non selection last week of COR & Newman may indicate they are unlikely for R1 but we might have to see who plays this week and how they go. There are definitely vacancies for yet to debut and just debut players. Think Cunningham gets a spot but gee he needs to do a lot more for mine. Rucks look settled, Naismith first ruck, Tippett relief & FF.

Have been a fan of Melican since he first arrived as a George Hewitt look-a-like. He trained very well, took marks and delivered the ball well to targets. He is also injury prone which is not unusual for a young man in this industry.
    He looks like he is realising his potential after a few matches in good company. He certainly looked capable against quality on the weekend in appalling conditions. On the strength of his first games he looks ahead of Talia at this stage.
    Also enjoyed seeing Nankervis strut his stuff. Always enjoyed his physicality and his willingness to fly for his marks. Understand the circumstances for his departure but would rather have him still here and Sinclair elsewhere.
    Curious to see if thy rest Tippett this week in an effort to resolve the Ruck dilemma.
    Thought Marsh looked more composed and his pace is an advantage, but he still looks a bit fragile under pressure. Hope this improves with opportunity and confidence.
    Thought we saw more from Florent on the weekend. His pressure acts and defensive positioning seemed sound and this was more impressive to me than his goals in the last game as it is indicative of his adaptability to the Swans model.

Warming the Bench
    Yes I think Melican looks to be the pre-season surprise packet! Love it when someone comes out of nowhere to be in the frame for senior selection (as Papley did last season)

Veteran Site Admin
    Heeney has been diagnosed with glandular fever (per the Swans' website), opening up another spot in the middle or up forward for a youngster. Shame for the team, but hopefully he can recover quickly and make a come back not too far into the season.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Heeney has been diagnosed with glandular fever (per the Swans' website), opening up another spot in the middle or up forward for a youngster. Shame for the team, but hopefully he can recover quickly and make a come back not too far into the season.
    Damn looks like he had a great pre season too!

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast