Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 2 v Western Bulldogs

I went back and reviewed some of the 1st and 2nd JLT games, mainly to see how Cameron and Fox did in those games.

Some interesting things about these games.
    • All the JLT games, as well as the PA, were played in wet conditions.
    • All the teams we played in the JLT series lost by big margins in the first round over the weekend.
    • All the team played went early in the game and were badly overrun as the game wore on.

I'm not sure what to make of it. Only NM went in as underdogs.

Fox did some nice things and I can see why Longmire likes him. He could develop into a good player, but his skills are suspect at this point. Shame about the wet conditions, because it doesn't give players the opportunity to show off their best footy. Perhaps in dry conditions at training he looked sharper.

Cameron looked good. I'd say better than Sinclair. But I just can't see him replacing Naismith or Tippett, nor can I see us playing yet another tall in our forward line, nor can I see Reid going into defence after finally having our 3 key forwards playing at the same time.

From what I saw of Edwards in the first game, I would give him a go in place of Towers. He looks comfortable at AFL level and more assured than Towers does.

Newman made a few errors in the 1st JLT match, but so did most of the players. Mills got lots of the ball, but his kicking was terrible, for example. I think we have to try him at some stage. His reserves form has always been good. He needs a few games at AFL level to see if he can step up.

Melican really impressed with his skills and poise. He made some mistakes, but that's to be expected. He played mostly on Waite in the first game and solidly beat Patton in the 2nd game. Jason Dunstall was impressed and made several positive comments during the game.

Talia did nothing special and is perhaps behind Melican for selection.

I think we should play Newman along with either Aliir or Melican. Probably all 3 is a bit much to bring into the defence at one time. I'm sure there will be some costly errors, whoever comes in, but that's just the way it usually goes with first gamers.

I would keep Foote for at least another game. He works hard. His judgment is just a bit slow for AFL, but he's not far off. He just needs to move up a notch and he should be able to handle the pace of the game. It was only his 2nd AFL game.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 56-14 View Post
    Agree - wolftone was "a bit off tap".

However, his post, in total, was a lot more rational than bloodsprits' crap.
    erm, did you read both posts? Wolftone went off the reservation, bloodspirit didn't say anything controversial or irrational..?

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    erm, did you read both posts? Wolftone went off the reservation, bloodspirit didn't say anything controversial or irrational..?
    +1

Senior Player
    Agreed very long bow to suggest selection decision was based on racism and borderline offensive . Sorry not borderline actually it was offensive

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Agreed very long bow to suggest selection decision was based on racism and borderline offensive . Sorry not borderline actually it was offensive
    I agree - it was a somewhat offensive suggestion. But Wolftone is and has been one of the most insightful posters here over a number of years and a lot of thought and passion goes into his posts so it'd be good to give him a right of reply. Perhaps you'd like to give what you'd said a bit more thought Wolftone?

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by 56-14 View Post
    Agree - wolftone was "a bit off tap".

However, his post, in total, was a lot more rational than bloodsprits' crap.
    I thought Bloodspirits post was reasonable, he articulated his points prudently.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I thought Bloodspirits post was reasonable, he articulated his points prudently.
    Couldn't agree more.

Yep - unsure how anything Bloodspirit said could be construed as crap.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Thanks for the support ROWers and redeyes. I think perhaps I was a bit disrespectful of wolftone57 and/or a bit smarmy and maybe that was the problem. I apologise for that. But nor do I want to be too vanilla! It's hard getting the balance right. (Although Ludwig and dejavoo do a great job.)

While I stand by my critique of wolftone's last post, I agree that wolftone's posts are usually insightful, thoughtful and passionate and I welcome them. I'd say wolftone knows a lot more about footy than me too. It's just that in this case I thought the post was way over the top, thought someone should say so and figured it might as well be me.

I hope we can go back to talking about Friday night's game and how we crush the fairypuppies now.

Okay. Back to the footy.

Here's a selection question for the rules experts (that means you, Meg, but happy if anyone knows the answer).

Edwards has been elevated to the senior list in place of Rohan.

Suppose:
    1. We want to take Papley off the LTIL so he can play in the NEAFL game on Saturday.
    2. We also want to play Melican in the AFL game on Friday, but would prefer not to have him elevated for Alex Johnson.

Question 1: Could we leave Papley on the LTIL until after the Friday night match, elevate Melican to take his spot on the senior list, then after Friday match, but before the Saturday Neafl match, Papley is taken off the LTIL and Melican is dropped back to the rookie list?

Question 2: Could Melican and Edwards switch the players they were elevated for so that Edwards could drop back to the rookie list and Melican could stay and take the Rohan spot? (There was something with a similar set of circumstances last year, perhaps involving STK, but I can't the recall the details).

.................................................. ..............................................

This photo and caption appears in the Gallery story on the Swans website. It seems very unfair. Why can't they just let it go. Poor Mikey.

Will Hayward was all smiles before training. Could he know something we don't?

Veterans List
    Players aren't tied to specific LTIs any more, its just a numbers thing, changed the way it operates a couple of seasons back from memory?

We have AJ & Rohan as LTI's so can promote two.

Rumour that Cameron & Hayward are debuting this week. If that's correct maybe Naismith is out too and we'll ruck Tippett mostly with Cameron FF? Hayward would be in for pressure in the forward 50?

The 2 definite outs are a backman in Rampe and a mid in Robinson.

Those 'debuts' would be structurally odd.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast