Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day Rnd.4 West Coast V Sydney. Domain Stadium 20.10 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    To put last night into some sort of perspective: 2 years ago a full strength Swans team went to Perth and got beaten by 52 points. I knew then we were cooked. This year we took a team of kids and were 6 points down in the last Q.
    It was far from a full strength team. Buddy, Tippett and Ted Richards were all out. Nanka and Pyke shared the ruckwork, got killed by NicNat and I think Pyke may have been injured. We also just got thrashed by Hawthorn the previous week.

I feels sorry for Melbourne fans who have not had success in such a long time, finally looking good to make the 8 and then having some big injuries, suspensions and the like. If we miss the 8 this year, it's not such a disaster as long as we can see a likely rebound next season.

In just a few weeks we can see some real progress in players like Fox, Hayward and Florent. Fox will be dropped back to the rookie list next week and maybe Florent, Hayward or both will be dropped for players coming off the injury list and they will get some much needed NEAFL time to round out their games.

The time spent in the midfield by Hewett seems to be paying off. He had a very good first half. Once he can handle the extra workload for an entire game the Swans with have another quality inside midfielder.

I wonder whether there's a hope Hewlett might be JPKs successor or they'll draft / trade someone specifically?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I agree in part Ludwig, but I do think its reasonable to question his ability to adapt our gameplan to the way footy is changing. No two ways about it, our highly contested, tough in and under footy is not as effective as it once was, with the way the game is moving. I'm yet to see any real evidence that we are going to easily adopt to the way the game more broadly is changing.

He deserves plenty of leeway, and injuries and missing personnel are killing us so far this season - but I don't think its unfair to be a bit reserved on the gameplan side of things.
    But as the season rolls on and players start carrying injuries, the speed goes out of the legs and the tough close in footy will take over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It was far from a full strength team. Buddy, Tippett and Ted Richards were all out. Nanka and Pyke shared the ruckwork, got killed by NicNat and I think Pyke may have been injured. We also just got thrashed by Hawthorn the previous week.
    Wow! We were quite depleted then too. All the same it was a "stronger" team than the one that lost last night, and back then it felt like proof we weren't a contender.

Why wasn't last nights game broadcast on free to air in Melbourne?

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Why wasn't last nights game broadcast on free to air in Melbourne?
    Tim Worner?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    The addition of Rohan, Tippett and Heeney next week will make a big difference, replacing bottom three players with three of our best 10.

Whatever the changes are I want to see Mills let off the leash in the midfield along with Heeney. And if his form doesn't improve there he needs a spell in the NEAFL
    I don't get the criticism of Mills.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

I feels sorry for Melbourne fans who have not had success in such a long time, finally looking good to make the 8 and then having some big injuries, suspensions and the like. If we miss the 8 this year, it's not such a disaster as long as we can see a likely rebound next season.

In just a few weeks we can see some real progress in players like Fox, Hayward and Florent. Fox will be dropped back to the rookie list next week and maybe Florent, Hayward or both will be dropped for players coming off the injury list and they will get some much needed NEAFL time to round out their games.

The time spent in the midfield by Hewett seems to be paying off. He had a very good first half. Once he can handle the extra workload for an entire game the Swans with have another quality inside midfielder.
    Hewett gets a lot of stats when he is lying on the ground.

Oh well, all is not lost. We are still 0.1 percentage points ahead of North Melbourne. (Who could have won today if Thomas's last kick had gone through for a goal instead of a point.)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I'd prefer to see us get smarter as well !!!

I agree with Longmire that our execution was off but we have struggled to adapt in the midfield predominantly

Our midfield have turned the ball back thru the middle a lot and not executed and in fact been shut down to often and or dispossessed!

Yes execution was poor when it was on the line ie 3rd and 4th qtr

Unfortunately Reid, Newman, smooch, Grundy, AA, Mills, Hannes, jones made some seriously basic errors in the last qtr when we were within a goal or two

That is a lot of poor decisions by fairly composed players which just seemed amazing to be honest

But desperation of not setting up the game the first 3 qtrs causes fatigue and errors in the last qtr

So what is going wrong strategically in the first few qtrs and why are we struggling to execute in the first few qtrs ???
    I think fatigue was a big factor in the last 10 minute turnovers. Both sides were looking for petrol tickets, we made the turnover errors, not them. AA was out on his feet and that run of Jones with 2 bounces spent the last bit of his fuel. I was wondering at the end; are we fully fit. Experience is a factor with our inability to finish games off but boy we have looked tired at the end of all 4 games.

Roos raised a point post-match I hadn't thought about. The Swans midfield would not be getting their usual rotations off because their were so many youngsters in the team. Thus Parker, Hannes et al look a bit out of sorts because of the heavier load. I respect Roos - he certainly knows a lot more about the game than I do.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Good point and I never thought that aspect. Roosey doesn't get it wrong very often , very knowledgeable. Also backline is disorganized, hoping Rampe or McVeigh can make a difference.

The Premiers aren't that impressive so far .

It's a pretty even year.
    I quite like the Swans at $26 , if they string a few together soon they will be back into $9.50.