Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Rnd.4 West Coast V Sydney. Domain Stadium 20.10 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    I believe c7 can only show 4 games per week. I guess it was a choice between Swans v WC or Cats v Hawks.
    Wasn't in stinking Adelaide either! Only one game Thursday night & they don't even show it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    That's a solid group to cover 2 or 3 spots in the side. If Reg is at the top of his game, there would be no reason to drop him. But if his game is faltering, as it has been so far this year, we should start pushing these others through and get them working together asap. With our slow start this year we should have more of an eye on the future than winning a premiership this season. It doesn't mean we have to give up, but if we do it, we will have to do it with a young team.
    I think if Rampe was still playing that would make sense. But it's a very inexperienced back line and I think they need Reg's experience is needed at least until Rampe's return.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I think if Rampe was still playing that would make sense. But it's a very inexperienced back line and I think they need Reg's experience is needed at least until Rampe's return.
    It's a misconception to think if we replace an out of form experienced player with an in form inexperienced player that we are going to somehow be worse off. Freo had 2 bad losses and looked hopeless, then made 6 changes, dropping several veterans, and now have gone on to win 2 successive games against highly favoured sides. We've lost 4 in a row. If something is not working, is the answer to leave it alone?

As for next week, I don't think we can drop Reg anyway because GWS will play 3 big forwards in Cameron, Patton and Lobb. Even if we bring in Melican, who played well against Patton in the JLT series, we will still be undersized against that trio.

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    It's a misconception to think if we replace an out of form experienced player with an in form inexperienced player that we are going to somehow be worse off. Freo had 2 bad losses and looked hopeless, then made 6 changes, dropping several veterans, and now have gone on to win 2 successive games against highly favoured sides. We've lost 4 in a row. If something is not working, is the answer to leave it alone?

As for next week, I don't think we can drop Reg anyway because GWS will play 3 big forwards in Cameron, Patton and Lobb. Even if we bring in Melican, who played well against Patton in the JLT series, we will still be undersized against that trio.
    Interesting point Ludwig. Do you think that Freo are playing the same way with different players and now winning.????

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    It's a misconception to think if we replace an out of form experienced player with an in form inexperienced player that we are going to somehow be worse off. Freo had 2 bad losses and looked hopeless, then made 6 changes, dropping several veterans, and now have gone on to win 2 successive games against highly favoured sides. We've lost 4 in a row. If something is not working, is the answer to leave it alone? ...
    And has nothing to do with two of the leagues best midfielders, in Fyfe and Neale, finding top form and dragging their team along with them?
    And the players they brought in, although more inexperienced, still had 130 odd games between them, quite different to debutantes.
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 15th April 2017 at 09:19 PM.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    SPOILER: FREO have changed there defensive game style and are now they scored OVER 100 points today. We have the 'Last Mohican' as our coach.

There are simply are asking for 1 on 1 defence. Spread early to set up. Quick ball movement.

The perfect example of the difference occured in the Freo, Demons game. Oliver gets a free about 60m out but there is a little lag for the ball to come back. The Freo forwards were all running back toward the Demons goal and Stephen Hill holds up 2 hands and tells them to stay out and go forward. Freo get a turnover and got the ball out easily as they had forwards to kick to and not 1 on 3, like us.

They only got caught when 2 or 3 players all go to one player, most times it was 'Cleatus' or lack of communication and the Demons got to the outside quickly, due to have free players.

Simple footy. Ask each player to beat their man and Freo won. Oh they also have a lot of inexperience players. No excuses with them.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Reg starts every year bumbling and fumbling, the mob calls for demotion, but he ends each year close to All Australian standard. Without Sir Rampelot to the rescue he looks worse this early in the season but he will come good. Dropping him would be counter productive for the whole team.

+1. This talk of bringing in rookies to replace him is just crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
    Reg starts every year bumbling and fumbling, the mob calls for demotion, but he ends each year close to All Australian standard. Without Sir Rampelot to the rescue he looks worse this early in the season but he will come good. Dropping him would be counter productive for the whole team.
    I start every year bumbling and fumbling too ................................. and stay that way all year round. Why should Reg be any different?

I start every year bumbling and fumbling too ................................. and stay that way all year round. Why should Reg be any different?
    Based on (1) past experience and (2) the fact he's a professional athlete and you're not?

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Wauchope, you've nailed my fear precisely on the head with that comment. I really do wonder if Longmire is going to be able to transform our gameplan, as the changing style of AFL footy is going to demand. Contested ball is no longer the king it was, and you can't make up for a slow midfield by having lots of contested ball kings. If I was a Hawks fan, despite the clear holes developing in their list, I'd be confident their coach knows how to adapt to the way footy is going (being driven by the Commission and its rule changes I might add). I can't say I'm confident Longmire will manage the same.

He has been an enormous part of our clubs success, but I wonder if Longmire will be able to reinvent our game plan as the game moves in an uncomfortable direction. Our style of footy is no longer being rewarded in the way it once was.
    I have to agree with this.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    If we are going to rise from the ashes, Tom will be an essential part of the picture. He is exactly the kind of forward we have lacked and I enjoy his intensity, skill, sense of position and willingness to back himself.
    And he's only a second year player off the rookie list. He showed us a lot last year so we just expect that to continue this year. I hope he does.