Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day Rnd 8. North Melbourne V Sydney. 16.40 pm. Etihad Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    He recovered very well and in the final washup had a very good game, I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. I admire the resilience he showed and it was great he didn't retreat back into his shell.

But I wouldn't judge on possessions alone, those two mistakes were clangers and any criticism well justified and personally I think there is a question mark over his intensity. For all his stats if he lets too many goals like that one in the first quarter he'll be playing twos before too long.

Hopefully he keeps on improving because we need his foot skills because our field kicking was still quite average at times today.
    I think your criticism of the 2 plays that led to goals is wrong.

The blame for the first incident rests with Mills who handballed to Newman with Turner so near that Newman was under intense pressure. Turner charged at Nic and made contact with the head. The right decision would have been to rush a behind, but there really was no time at all to collect his thoughts.

The second incident he tried to body the lighter Hrovat off his position, but Hrovat had the sit, has a low centre of gravity and was able to stand his ground. Good on Hrovat. I've seen Jeff Garlett and Eddie Betts do that many times to 100kg defenders. Newman has used that tactic successfully so many times in the NEAFL I'm not surprised he tried it today. He'll have to come up with something different next time. In any case, I'm not sure sure how many of our players would have be able to stop the mark.

There were other goals kicked against us today. Were they all due to defender mistakes? Brown took a mark on Grundy. Do we say that we hope Reg improves as well?

Newman is a tough physical player who plays a smart game. He's not just a good kick. He's in our best 22 without question. And that's just after 5 senior games. I would expect him to improve. That said, he will makes mistakes, no doubt, but probably less than Buddy or Parker.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Lots of experienced players make the sort of mistakes Newman made. Jake Lloyd was directly responsible for two North goals, Josh kicked straight to an opponent, then got it back and managed to kick to a Swan, Reg fluffed a couple of kicks, etc. I hope the whole team keeps working on these skills under pressure.

Overall a good game to watch, plenty of Swans moments - my jaw literally dropped at Buddy's goal. And I was pleased that we weren't Buddy-centric. The Bloods are back, and are assisting in the moulding of the next gen.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I'm not worried if we don't make the finals, not worried at all as long as we show that endeavour that we did today. Getting games into the kids and the list deepening will stand will not be a bad thing. And another top 10 draft pick won't hurt us.

Having said that football is a funny old game and winning can be a real habit and I think that the top 8 may be a lower wins quota this year as all teams have already lost at least two games. Clearly we need to beat St Kilda but if we can go 4-6 to the Bye and then keep the squad on the paddock then 8-4 for 12 wins and a chance of finals is not crazy talk.
    I'm not worried about whether we make the finals either. After a 0-6 start, I do not have high expectations.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I liked Hewitt's game today. There were a few occasions where his ability to keep his feet in the contest won him some important possessions. He's coming along really well.
    I have been questioning whether Hewett will make it. My criticism of him has been scrappy and poor disposal, not leading up, playing for frees and constantly going to ground. He turned all of that around, and to me it was his breakout game. What he did today was to finally play instinctive footy. Hope goes on from here.

I think saw one of the worst teams for a long time today ....... north were just aweful

But enjoyed the win

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I have been questioning whether Hewett will make it. My criticism of him has been scrappy and poor disposal, not leading up, playing for frees and constantly going to ground. He turned all of that around, and to me it was his breakout game. What he did today was to finally play instinctive footy. Hope goes on from here.
    +1 only you put it much better than I could

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I think saw one of the worst teams for a long time today ....... north were just aweful

But enjoyed the win
    I think we had a hand in that. This is the team that trounced the invincible Adelaide last week

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think your criticism of the 2 plays that led to goals is wrong.

The blame for the first incident rests with Mills who handballed to Newman with Turner so near that Newman was under intense pressure. Turner charged at Nic and made contact with the head. The right decision would have been to rush a behind, but there really was no time at all to collect his thoughts.

The second incident he tried to body the lighter Hrovat off his position, but Hrovat had the sit, has a low centre of gravity and was able to stand his ground. Good on Hrovat. I've seen Jeff Garlett and Eddie Betts do that many times to 100kg defenders. Newman has used that tactic successfully so many times in the NEAFL I'm not surprised he tried it today. He'll have to come up with something different next time. In any case, I'm not sure sure how many of our players would have be able to stop the mark.

There were other goals kicked against us today. Were they all due to defender mistakes? Brown took a mark on Grundy. Do we say that we hope Reg improves as well?

Newman is a tough physical player who plays a smart game. He's not just a good kick. He's in our best 22 without question. And that's just after 5 senior games. I would expect him to improve. That said, he will makes mistakes, no doubt, but probably less than Buddy or Parker.
    I was sitting on the HFF near the 50 to the right of the screen, on the camera side of the ground. When playing defence at that end you could see Newman reading the play and dropping back as the ball came in. Much in the way Rampe plays. Prior to today I thought he might be a bit soft, but that was put to rest. He was cool under pressure when he had the ball and used his kicking skills to very good use. 35 possessions at 77% ground time is amazing. No way that Allir will come in for him.
    Sitting where I was in the terraces you saw the intensity and the absolute will to harass and tackle North. The 2nd and 3rd efforts by Hanners signalled that he is back.
    Might I add that we were outstanding at centre bounces. It just shows how it puts a defence under severe pressure when it comes out quickly. About the best I have seen in this department since 2005.
    The work of Isaac Heeney is a joy. He is such a star. He always seems to be in the right place. Makes a huge difference to the team. And Mills just keeps on keeping on.
    People are saying Rohan comes in next week; well I can't see him coming in. 2 stats against Hawthorn before he knocked himself tells me he needs to earn his spot now. Towers played his best game and I didn't see a mistake. I thought both Sincalir and Naismith played top games. Stats didn't show it but their centre bounce work was superb. Both of them buttered up time and again when the ball hit the ground.
    All of a sudden Reid is a valuable utility player who can play forward and back when required.
    After today we must retain Reid and Jones at all costs. Maybe a couple of the highly paid boys might take a salary hit for the team.

Rd 8, 2017: Scott post-match - NMFC.com.au

Agree nico
    Brad thought that North got destroyed in contested possession and he is right
    But they were absolutely terrible in the contest today north

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Its amazing the difference some continuity makes.

Towers was pretty good today, deserves to hold his spot again. Sinclair played well, but I hope his pressure with 9mins to go in the 3rd qtr gets shown to him. Casually jogged to the ball and then feigned pressure.

All in all no real whipping boys today.

Now that we have the team settled no issue with Rampe in McVeigh out for next week.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

A terrific day at the footy. Great to see the captain's best game all year. Hannas wasn't giving the impression that he was knackered, bent at the waist and grabbing his shorts after every kick or run. Reg was solid. Parker looked as if he's coming into form. Sam Reid such a smart player. Tom Papley dangerous, and he's got a bit of cheek and aggro, but not more than Zac who played another fine game. Etc, etc. I went expecting we'd lose to the outfit that took down the ladder-leaders last week, but we were "on" from the first bounce. What I couldn't believe was the turnaround from the last game I attended - our insipid effort against the Blues, where we looked not only outclassed but dispirited and disinterested in a way I've not seen for a long time. A much happier trip home. Even more so for the boys, and hopefully that feeling will inspire them to play the hard footy that has earned respect and brought success in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Win the next two before we start thinking about the F word
    Better than the first 6 weeks when we were saying the F word

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

But enjoyed the win
    They were a damn sight better than Brisbane last week. We were much better too.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast