Page 121 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,452 of 1579

Thread: Finals

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Well, that was a dull game and an underwhelming final series. Only one game out of nine had a margin of less than six goals.
    All the talk about what an even comp and year it was, and then the exact opposite occurs in the finals. Go figure.
    Every game bar one (the close one) the home team beat the away team where the away had to travel.
    That's why there were blowouts.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Do you REALLY earn a premiership if you don't beat Sydney, Hawthorn or Geelong in the Grand final? I suspect that Richmond will be a bit like the Western Bulldogs, a one hit wonder. Game based entirely on pressure which is hard to sustain once you reach the pinnacle. A few top-end players and a swag of quick triers.
    I agree. That's why I earlier predicted next years Grand Finalists as Swans V Crows. We'll be better and the Crows will want to atone, as will we. Interesting article on the Richmond 'mantra' for this season here: Revealed: Three words powering Richmond - AFL.com.au It sounds like the Swans in the Roos/early Longmire era.....we had what Richmond has now, not sure we still do. We need to get back to that 'honesty'......

Veterans List
    Jack Reiwoldt is on stage singing with the Killers....it's actually great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Someone had to say ....
    ...that it was a bit of a gross overreaction to a pretty benign post of mine.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    I would be in favour of clubs (or cities) nominating for the GF (that is decided before the season starts), but I don�t think the system would be any fairer having the first-ranked team with the home ground advantage (considering the inequities of the home and away draw).

The one advantage that clubs have (in general) with the game being played at the one venue is that they can plan for it, as it is a known quantity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In that case play it at the home ground of the premier from the previous year. Let's face it, the AFL have put dollars ahead of equity. Playing the GF at the minor premiers home ground is much, much fairer that the current debacle.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Despite the advantages to Richmond as pointed out in some previous posts, Richmond are still playing better and if they win from here, they have deserved it, unlike the Fairypups last year.....Tigers pressure has been elite.......dare I say it, they are doing a Swans, and Adelaide look rattled. Of course it helps having a home game......if this was in Adelaide, I'm sure the result may be different.
    Was at the game. Richmond a lot harder but Adelaide faced a very hostile environment for a team that finished on top. Also, umps favoured Tigers, especially early. Should have been at Adelaide Oval.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I agree. That's why I earlier predicted next years Grand Finalists as Swans V Crows. We'll be better and the Crows will want to atone, as will we. Interesting article on the Richmond 'mantra' for this season here: Revealed: Three words powering Richmond - AFL.com.au It sounds like the Swans in the Roos/early Longmire era.....we had what Richmond has now, not sure we still do. We need to get back to that 'honesty'......
    Yes, interesting article. I do think that if you hit on simple ways to increase team bonding, then that can only help when maximum effort, teamwork and trust is needed. And I suspect that some of the ideas that Roosy put in place early in his coaching career, were also successful in creating a stronger team bond, and that was a big reason why were able to win a premiership in 2005, when other teams, such as West Coast, St Kilda and Adelaide had, arguably, significantly more talented playing lists.
    I also suspect that there'll be an interesting book or two, to come out about this premiership. I'd certainly be interested to find out, just what went on at the end of last season. In hindsight, Peggy O'Neal and Brendan Gale now seem like geniuses, for their decision to stick with Hardwick, but after we thrashed them by over a 100 in the final game of 2016, I don't think many Richmond fans at the time, would've agreed with that genius tag. If I remember rightly, it was more like a lynch mob forming and effigies of coach and management being burnt. So I'd be curious to find out, what they stuck with, what exactly they decided to change, and why.
    And speaking of change, it did seem that Richmond going small, did work for them. That is, for most of the season, they played with one tall forward in Riewoldt and one ruckman in Nankervis. This certainly seemed to help them apply forward pressure and to disrupt the flow of the opposition. It probably also stressed to their midfielders, the importance of looking ahead when in possession and then attempting to hit one of the options that are in space. So, it will be interesting to see how many other coaches decide to try that in 2018? And if so, will it be a lasting change?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Nankervis was destroyed by Jacobs! Only got a few touches in junk time.
    Spot on TBC. Jacobs hammered him. Toby had a good last quarter after Jacobs tired and the game was effectively over.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Was at the game. Richmond a lot harder but Adelaide faced a very hostile environment for a team that finished on top. Also, umps favoured Tigers, especially early. Should have been at Adelaide Oval.
    Yes, I thought that the Richmond defence, especially Rance, were getting away with a lot in the first half. In last year's GF, the rule that went out the window, was, contact below the knees, this year, I thought that it was, pushing from behind. While the game was still on the line, almost every time that the ball went towards a tall Adelaide forward, that forward seemed like they were being half tunnelled, half rugby tackled away from the contest. Probably didn't change the result, but I think it changed the momentum.

For a team that haven't won for 37 years, in a city with 10 teams, how does Richmond who have been such a 9th placed embarrassment for so long have nearly 73k members?

I think the most important thing to take from the season is the fact that I won two tipping comps

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    For a team that haven't won for 37 years, in a city with 10 teams, how does Richmond who have been such a 9th placed embarrassment for so long have nearly 73k members?
    Dunno? Maybe a handy local oval helps? Easy to get to games from Richmond?