Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Rnd.10 Sydney V Hawthorn. 19.50 pm. SCG.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Hawthorn hate us much more than we hate them.
    Barry, you'll love the poster boy for this article from SEN: Players who've gone on too long

I don't think the Swan's hate Hawthorn or the Hawthorn hate the Swans. I think the clubs have a mutual respect for each other. I'm sure we hate losing to them most of the time.

As a Swans' fan, I hate losing to any club, especially Hawthorn, but I don't hate Hawthorn. I think they have the best coach in the business and am more jealous that their coach is smarter than our coach, although I do like Longmire as a coach. I also think they have a nice playing group and if players like Roughead, Gibson, Burgoyne, Cyril, Breust, Smith and even Hodge were wearing the red and white, we would all love them, just like we love Buddy. Hodge and Sam Mitchell do a lot of media now and sound like very decent people off the playing field. I wouldn't mind Sam Mitchell as a coach for the Swans.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Barry, you'll love the poster boy for this article from SEN: Players who've gone on too long

I don't think the Swan's hate Hawthorn or the Hawthorn hate the Swans. I think the clubs have a mutual respect for each other. I'm sure we hate losing to them most of the time.

As a Swans' fan, I hate losing to any club, especially Hawthorn, but I don't hate Hawthorn. I think they have the best coach in the business and am more jealous that their coach is smarter than our coach, although I do like Longmire as a coach. I also think they have a nice playing group and if players like Roughead, Gibson, Burgoyne, Cyril, Breust, Smith and even Hodge were wearing the red and white, we would all love them, just like we love Buddy. Hodge and Sam Mitchell do a lot of media now and sound like very decent people off the playing field. I wouldn't mind Sam Mitchell as a coach for the Swans.
    I agree with this.

I hate losing to Hawthorn above any other club, but it's not because of who their players and coach are. I wouldn't have said that before the 2012 GF and probably not until after the 2014 GF. That was such an awful day and a number of their supporters behaved poorly.

I suspect losing to Hawthorn galls me so much because they have the wood over us. They get themselves up for our encounters better than we do, they get under our skin and they often outsmart us.

I had a feeling from dread leading into Friday's game which lasted throughout the game, including when we led in the last quarter, when I was certain we'd still somehow lose. The way we did - spurning chances and hobbled by unlucky injuries - was especially torturous, and the gutting feeling was amplified by the loss ending our season (in bloody May). I've not felt this bad after a loss since the 2014 GF. That it fed into a bye week has increased the eerie feeling.

Anyway, I imagine most of us would be stoked if Sam Mitchell joined our coaching staff, I certainly would be. WC have him locked in, don't they? Bloody smart trade by them.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I agree with this.

I hate losing to Hawthorn above any other club, but it's not because of who their players and coach are. I wouldn't have said that before the 2012 GF and probably not until after the 2014 GF. That was such an awful day and a number of their supporters behaved poorly.

I suspect losing to Hawthorn galls me so much because they have the wood over us. They get themselves up for our encounters better than we do, they get under our skin and they often outsmart us.

I had a feeling from dread leading into Friday's game which lasted throughout the game, including when we led in the last quarter, when I was certain we'd still somehow lose. The way we did - spurning chances and hobbled by unlucky injuries - was especially torturous, and the gutting feeling was amplified by the loss ending our season (in bloody May). I've not felt this bad after a loss since the 2014 GF. That it fed into a bye week has increased the eerie feeling.

Anyway, I imagine most of us would be stoked if Sam Mitchell joined our coaching staff, I certainly would be. WC have him locked in, don't they? Bloody smart trade by them.
    Pretty much how I feel. I had a similar uneasy feeling going into the game and I think the way many are bemoaning how we lost to Hawthorn, as if they were some bunch of no-hopers, is a bit rich. They are on the decline for sure due to old legs but that side turned back the clock the way they just found a way to win.

I must say though that I find their fans appalling, very smug and with no graciousness at all. Maybe I've just been unlucky with the ones I have met personally but I don't think so

After sitting through that terrible 2014 GF next to bogan Hawk supporters, I doubt that I will ever say good things about their supporters.

But I agree with the talk about their footy club and players. I hate losing to them, and we have lost many many close games to them over the years. But I do respect the way they play - their great coaching (something I cannot say about Horse at the moment) and the quality of the majority of their players. Hodge is a boofhead but gee I wish we had someone as good as him in our side.

Just for the hell of it, I watched the 1st qtr again to see what went wrong. Hawthorn kicked 5 goals on us in that quarter and you could say that the game was lost by then, at least in hindsight.

The first 2 goals were given away with cheap penalties.

The first was an incorrect disposal by Rampe. He attempted to handball while being tackled by 2 players. The umps have been paying those most of the time. If you attempt to dispose of the ball while being tackled, but fail to do so, they usually call a penalty. But if you simply drop the ball or hold on to it, then it's play on or ball up, and the umps have been pretty lenient with those, so it really doesn't pay to try to dispose of the ball in those situations. The second was the questionable free kick to Gunston for a supposed hand to the face by Reg. We had the ball in a good position, ready to send it into our forward 50, so it really hurt.

The 3rd came from a kick across the goal by Hayward that was intercepted by McEvoy. Not a smart play.

The last goal was to Breust on the lead when defended by Sinclair. A poor matchup for us.

Although they had a lot of uncontested ball, most of it came by after being held up in the midfield then kicking backward and switching play to the other side. This allowed them to get a lot of loose players, but we didn't do all that bad a job manning up and we were usually in a good defensive position with Hawks in control of the ball roughly in a similar position on the other side of the ground. I didn't feel that it was the uncontested ball that hurt us that much in the 1st quarter, but rather the way they scored goals and some poor skill errors when we had the ball.

Veteran Site Admin
    And with that first goal, Lloyd should have been paid a free before Rampe had the chance to be pinged because he was clearly not in possession of the ball when he was tackled. I can see why the umpire could have missed it, given the number of players around the ground. But if he did see it, the transgression was far more blatant than the one paid in favour of Burgoyne late in the game.

I agree with Ludwig (and Nico before him) that our skills errors were the most telling factor.

Port are not allowing Hawks loose players coming out ,
    Hawks already look beaten .

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Port are not allowing Hawks loose players coming out ,
    Hawks already look beaten .
    Yep - tonight puts in context how badly we were out-coached last week.

We should have been way ahead by the time we were down to 20, and then lock it down to cruise to a win.

Longmire is clearly a very good coach, but last week is proving even more embarrassing with each Port goal.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Yep - tonight puts in context how badly we were out-coached last week.

We should have been way ahead by the time we were down to 20, and then lock it down to cruise to a win.

Longmire is clearly a very good coach, but last week is proving even more embarrassing with each Port goal.
    Well, that's one way of looking at it - it clearly shows what a limp half-assed effort the players put in for the first qr. All those apologists for the team's effort (yep, looking at you Mug Punter) look on Port's work and weep.

I hope Swans coaching staff are watching this drill v Hawks

Port have been a great example of using a perfect balance of uncontested and contested tonight not give Hawthorn a look in

130 uncontested to 90 so far

76 to 53 contested so far

Yet when we went to town on Saint Kilda this year the contested and uncontested was almost identical for both teams

This proves what a great team we are. Hawthorn are so physically worn out from playing us last week, they can hardly move.