Schwass knows football THE Kangaroos and the Swans have different backgrounds, different fans, and an e
Sunday, 18 April 2004

The culture

The culture at the Kangaroos is pretty much what we see and hear of. At North there was a very close family unit-type environment, where everybody knew everybody and did everything together. It was built on friendships, camaraderie and a strong underlying friendship between individuals. Towards the end of my career Sydney was certainly getting to that. There was a bit of a romance between the football club and Sydney and last year really put the club on the map and they really have got their act together as a club.

Leadership

One of the things that stood out after leaving the Kangaroos and going to Sydney was that at North Melbourne (former coach) Denis Pagan ran the show. At Sydney I was surprised early on how many people other than the coach had something to say. It took a bit of time to get used to because I grew up in an environment where the coach spoke and that was it.

The fans

What ever number of supporters the Kangaroos have, one thing you cannot deny is they are loyal. No matter how few of them there was, they were always there. Sydney was seen as "fairweather" but that has changed markedly, especially on the back of their success last year but in my first couple of years it was very much a social setting. The attitude that I saw was a lot of the die-hard supporters of Sydney were probably ex-pats from Melbourne - the old South Melbourne followers. Locals would go to the football but they weren't as intense or tribal as the Victorian counterparts are. The one thing that will entrench the club in Sydney will be a premiership.

The facilities

The best facilities in the world won't translate to success. When you see what the Kangaroos have to use, you would say it's out-dated, not to the level other clubs such as Brisbane, Adelaide have but they've still been the most successful side in the past 10 years. They have run-down gyms, old portable schoolrooms as coaches rooms and they've run on the sniff of an oily rag.

The enjoyment

I enjoyed them both but for different reasons. At the Kangaroos I have terrific memories. In 1996 was lucky enough to be in a great side that won a premiership so that is a bond that will last my entire life. For other reasons I enjoyed Sydney. Personally and professionally I played more consistent football and the move to Sydney away from such a fanatical football community was a breath of fresh air.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/det...511&y=2004&m=4