Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 16 V Gold Coast. SCG 16.35 pm.

Thank you Port Adelaide !!!! (Pity Carlton couldn't do the right thing!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Towers ate them alive last night. Was a solid effort
    If Deano can produce that on a regular basis he'll never play NEAFL again, I have always thought he offered something but just needed to believe on himself. Thought he was gone after his start this season but his last three weeks have been very good. I like him more as a midfielder even though I don't think it is natural position. He has 10 games in a row under his belt now, I don't think he has had that before so hopefully he finally believes he belongs

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I find Matthews to be relevant, insightful and objective most of the time.
    He expresses an opinion about our team and suddenly he is lumped in with Dermie and BT.
    Reactionary, much...
    I agree with Matthews' opinion re AFL becoming like the NRL and I hate that aspect of the modern game. I would actually like the "Nuclear Option" of forced zonings (e.g. always having at least two or three players from each side in each 50 metre arc) zoned but the AFL won't do it because the coaches, who are running the game with their over-coaching and structures, hold way too much power over Gill the Dill.

However, I do not think it is fair at all to tar the Swans any more than any other team in terms of that style

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I only care about the win column and right now the number reads 8!

Flags are usually won by good defensive teams so happy with that.

Won't get to see the game until end of the week, really looking forward to seeing Towers play his breakout game, will be a case of I see it but I don't believe it. Has all the tools, maybe it's starting to click for him. Next week, tear one into GWS!
    Yes, even though I have wrote the odd tacky comment about Towers in the past, I am pleased that he's now doing well. Though I suspect that we'll still have to witness the occasional clanger.
    And I still find him a bit confusing. At first I thought that he just didn't see the game well and therefore had a tendency to choose the wrong option. But when he does things quickly and in traffic, he usually chooses the right option. So it seems that he can actually perceive things at speed, and if he doesn't have time to think, his decision making is sound? So it's possibly a case of him being more prone to negative internal chatter, if he has the time to stand and think? A bit like a hack golfer, who thinks about everything that they should do with their swing, immediately before slicing it into the water.

I can't specifically remember which play it was now, but after Towers did something particularly good he ran to the bench and spoke on the phone with one of the coaches (presumably Longmire). I don't know what was said but I imagine that it was to reinforce that here was proof that he was capable.

He did seem to be buckling under the pressure for a couple of weeks but the coaching staff seemed persistent in their view that he would find his place. Hopefully Towers can repay their faith and keep producing in the future.

His interview after the game seemed to indicate a meek attitude that perhaps requires external praise and positivity - here's hoping he gets a lot from here on out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    I can't specifically remember which play it was now, but after Towers did something particularly good he ran to the bench and spoke on the phone with one of the coaches (presumably Longmire). I don't know what was said but I imagine that it was to reinforce that here was proof that he was capable.

He did seem to be buckling under the pressure for a couple of weeks but the coaching staff seemed persistent in their view that he would find his place. Hopefully Towers can repay their faith and keep producing in the future.

His interview after the game seemed to indicate a meek attitude that perhaps requires external praise and positivity - here's hoping he gets a lot from here on out.

Last week he did the "team thing" a couple of times and turned it over instead of having a shot. This week he had a ping and snagged two goals.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, even though I have wrote the odd tacky comment about Towers in the past, I am pleased that he's now doing well. Though I suspect that we'll still have to witness the occasional clanger.
    And I still find him a bit confusing. At first I thought that he just didn't see the game well and therefore had a tendency to choose the wrong option. But when he does things quickly and in traffic, he usually chooses the right option. So it seems that he can actually perceive things at speed, and if he doesn't have time to think, his decision making is sound? So it's possibly a case of him being more prone to negative internal chatter, if he has the time to stand and think? A bit like a hack golfer, who thinks about everything that they should do with their swing, immediately before slicing it into the water.
    When he as a mark or a free and the game has stopped, he is like a Catholic outside the chemist shop...has got the pill but doesn't know what to do with it.

Towers plays well when he plays instinctively.

Warming the Bench
    How did everyone feels about Naismith's game? I think he did okay without being great.

Now that Sinclair has had a few good weeks in the NEAFL I wonder whether they would drop Naismith for Sinclair? I personally hope not but you can't deny Sinclair is doing all he can to earn a call up

Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    How did everyone feels about Naismith's game? I think he did okay without being great.

Now that Sinclair has had a few good weeks in the NEAFL I wonder whether they would drop Naismith for Sinclair? I personally hope not but you can't deny Sinclair is doing all he can to earn a call up
    Didn't Sinkers get touched up by Currie in the NEAFL? I cannot imagine they'll drop Naismith for Sinclair

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, even though I have wrote the odd tacky comment about Hannebery in the past, I am pleased that he's now doing well. Though I suspect that we'll still have to witness the occasional clanger.
    Does the change of name fit - to some extent?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Does the change of name fit - to some extent?
    In my opinion, only slightly, since I've never had much of a problem with Hannebery's disposal. While he can be a bit erratic at times, most of his work is done at high speed and often under high pressure, so in those circumstances, the odd clanger doesn't really bother me. Whereas with Towers, it can be, slow down, consider options, make mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Towers ate them alive last night. Was a solid effort
    Got to say I had to watch a delay for this game, and having cheated and read RWO I was expecting Towers to tear this game a new asshole from the comments. How disappointed I was. He does what he always does, but he kicked two good goals - both of which were fortuitous.

I saw an interview with Lonegan during the week where he said that he didn't believe he belonged till his mid twenties and I thought Towers, who I always found unassuming, had cracked it... not to be. Maybe next week. Still has more to do for mine for a first round, mature age pick....
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Maybe it's a question of expectations. Probably wouldn't discuss a game Kennedy played with the same output but thought Towers was solid on he weekend.

The play that sticks in my mind is the tackle on the members wing then was first to recover to whisk the ball away