Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Why do YOU support the Swans?

Senior Player
    I like the colours and the little shape of the Opera House in the "V". I think we have the best Indigenous jumpers. I don't hate any
    of the other clubs. I don't know them. I don't know any of the Swans either. My favourite Swans have been Paul Kelly, Stu Maxfield,
    Micky O, Goodsey and Dane. I've met Micky O a few times & I've met Troy Luff a number of times also. Both seem like good guys.
    Troy corrected me once when I got his career games tally wrong. By 1.

Veterans List
    My dad grew up and worked in South Melbourne and he passed his passion for the club to me. (Which is lucky for him because my brother switched to supporting Geelong).

I was very young when the Swans moved to Sydney so didn't appreciate the enormity of what it meant for the club to relocate. My dad still supported them and said the only thing that would make him turn his back on the club was if they changed their colours.

My dad always joked that he would win tattslotto before the Swans won a premiership. After 72 years he finally got to see a premiership. I'll never forget the feeling when we realised we had won when we saw Kennelly jump on Leo Barry. The noise was loud that we didn't hear the siren.

Warming the Bench
    because they moved to sydney
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

We already have a thread like this don't we... it was 7,000 pages long.
    Wonder what happened to it.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    We already have a thread like this don't we... it was 7,000 pages long.
    Wonder what happened to it.
    Sure do!

Why do YOU support the Swans?

And an early post in that thread refers to an earlier thread ending 2011.

What's that saying about forgetting history and being doomed to repeat it Just kidding, probably worth a refresh every few years, for the newer members.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Sure do!

What's that saying about forgetting history and being doomed to repeat it Just kidding, probably worth a refresh every few years, for the newer members.
    Thanks mate.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veterans List
    Sure do!

I'll just reprint my reply from that 2017 thread then, which was a reply to this post from aardvark:

"15th June 1970 was one of the best days of my life. We beat Collingwood by a point after kicking 4 goals in time on. The following Monday at school was pretty special too."

.....to which I replied:

"I remember that game well. My Swans obsessed Dad was there that day sitting next to none other than the great Gordon Coventry.......and with minutes to go and the Swans still needing three goals to win, Gordon leant over to Dad and whispered "South are going to win this" and my Dad said "You're kidding aren't you Gordon?". Gordon replied with a smile, "Just keep watching.".......Stevie Hoffman went crazy, Gordon was right and my Dad was euphoric....his best day at the footy ever! Great thread by the way and therein that last story lies the reason I barrack for the Swans, my Dad. Mum barracked for the Cats, so I've always had a soft spot for the Catters....which I'm comfortable with as I see Geelong as a sort of Victorian version of our great club, ethical, proud, respectful and whose teams play the game as it should be played."

It's certainly a great memory .....and I still stand by the last sentence today (for all the Cats haters out there. )

Swans forever!

Regular in the Side
    My mother grew up in South Melbourne and I went to every game when I was a kid and I love the Swannies.

Veteran Site Admin
    Sure do!

Now a single thread. I've merged the two.

Paul Kelly. Even though we were so terrible back in the early 90's, he was always so good. A bit like Allan Border in the 1980's.

I was born & bred in South Melbourne living within walking distance of the Lakeside Oval. One of my earliest memories is listening intently on the radio with my dad to the 1970 Semi Final against St Kilda (no live TV games then), which we lost. Saw my first live game in 1971 against Geelong which we won. Went to every home game soon after & when my older brother played for South U19's, I would go to watch him play when the Seniors played away so I was at the Lakeside Oval every Saturday during that period. I remember most of the kids in my primary school barracked for South. Peter Bedford was my all time hero.

Our family later moved out of South Melbourne, but kept going regurlarly to the Lakeside games plus some away games. I was heartbroken when we moved to Sydney but understood & accepted it for the club to survive. Eventually got to attend some SCG games, with the 1996 QF win over Hawthorn with my late dad being the most memorable (Cresser marking & kicking winning goal before final siren). I was an emotional wreck when the final siren rang at the 2005 GF. Didn't think my heart was gonna survive that tense final quarter which seemed to go on forever! Eventually was asked to leave empty darkening MCG by security as I wanted to savour every moment. Celebrated doing Clarendon St pub crawl and finished off having bit of a kip outside the Lake Oval .
    Last edited by KSAS; 30th September 2019 at 10:02 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I was an emotional wreck when the final siren rang in the 2005 GF. Didn't think my heart was gonna survive that tense final quarter which seemed to go on forever! .

Did it ever. It is unbearable. I remember me and a bunch of people around us screaming "blow the @@@@ing siren" for that last minute
    or so, which I didn't hear because of the pandemonium, and then briefly wondering why Mrs Tigers was hugging the bloke sitting
    next to her.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast