Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swans vs Saints match discussion

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Club 80 View Post
    Besides, there is no booing when a questionable decision goes the Swans way.
    Yes there is, at just about every away game.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Parochial pantomime style booing is fine. Personal, offensive stuff is not. It's very easy to tell the difference. For example, Tom Lynch lined up for his 3rd or 4th of the first quarter a fortnight ago in front of me. He copped some booing and general good-natured stuff to put him off his kick, but once it left his boot he was quietly praised for how perfect a kick it was. Exactly as it should be.
    I agree. I won't boo opposition players just because it's trendy to boo them. Goodes wasn't the only player who got booed, there were plenty who played for other clubs as well who got booed whenever they touched the ball. I never saw the point.

However, I would make an exception if some opposition player had committed a blatant reportable offence earlier in the game (eg: Bugg against Mills). Under such circumstances, I would rather hear a hostile reception than silence. If the fans aren't willing to protest such misconduct against our players, why bother showing up to support the side?
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

I think ultimately the Swans have too many players who are rested and in good form.

K.Jack, McVeigh, Rampe, Heeney, Papley, Naismith have had plenty of time out. They are now physically peaking and in great form. Their opponents will be feeling the impact of a long campaign.

Kennedy's break two weeks ago would have done him the world of good. Sam Reid gets to recharge this week.

Jones is feeling the effects of a long campaign and has been more subdued in recent weeks.

We will win due to a lot of inform players being fresher than their opponents.

I even think booing the umpires is unacceptable. I'm taking my 7 year to the SCG tomorrow and he needs to learn to respect all players and officials. Booing derails my efforts to teach my son to respect the game.

A late family member of mine was a prominent Rugby Leauge referee and referee coach. I will always respect the officials and I call on the Red and White community not to boo the umpires.

Besides, there is no booing when a questionable decision goes the Swans way.
    Of course there is booing when a questionable decision goes the Swans way. The Saints fans and Cheer Squad boo. Believe me I know as the opposition Cheer Squad always sit just below me.

Now, booing the umpire is a tradition and should be honoured. The umpire is an even bigger enemy that the opposition because he/she has power over the game and can unduly influence the result of games if he/she is really bad or just has a bet on the opposition lol. When I was playing the umpires did me no favours so I do them none. Umpires and some opposition players, coaches, runners and officials are always going to be booed. It is as I say tradition. Nothing is meant by it other than to register disapproval for their actions. For instance a bad decision, a players who disrespects your players by biffing them, a runner who gets involved in the play, a coach who coaches against your team and wins all the time. Booing is a way of venting and it is unhealthy to keep pent up emotion inside. Very unhealthy for the psyche.

Veteran Site Admin
    Not sure that viewing umpires as "the enemy" is particularly good for the psyche either.

After the booing that happened to Adam Goodes, booing should never happen at the AFL.

It hurt Adam Goodes, why does it not hurt other players or officials?

I guess the people on here, some who joke about booing champions like Nick Riewoldt, only care about the booing when it happens to a Swans player.

Adam Goodes wanted the booing to stop. You should respect him by not booing any opposition players or officials.

Why can't you be like a pleasant Golf or Tennis crowd? They are just as emotionally involved as a football fan.
    The Adam Goodes booing was systematic booing not spur of the moment booing. His booing was personal. The booing that goes on at the footy each week is generally not systematic personal assault, it is spur of the moment incidental booing. It is not personal in nature. If Swans crowds started booing a player on a personal level then I would give up going to footy. But booing an incident involving the player, umpire, official because they are a plonker or an evil little bugger is ok as far as I'm concerned. What was done to Goodsie was none of those things it was racist in nature and a highly personal assault.

I notice you quote the most boring games in the world who's crowds are either dead or brain dead after the first set or third hole. Both sports lack emotion and bore me to death. Our sport is a highly emotive game and with emotion comes behavior that may not be acceptable in Eastern Suburbs, North shore, Rose Bay, Woolahra, Wimbledon, Royal Sydney etc. But mate we are true blue Aussies not British Public School Boys. Get over it, footy crowds world wide boo and that's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    There was a time (like last year) when the Swans were brilliant starters. Put it an incredible first Q and then we could enjoy a relatively stress free game. We almost did it against Melbourne... just didn't kick straight.

I could handle 7 goals plus first Q from the Swans tonight.
    We also faded in the last quarter and got beaten in a GF. Just a thought. I'd rather a four quarter performance than a two and a half thanks. It would be nice to get a good start though. A nice even 6-10 goals each quarter would do me.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Not sure that viewing umpires as "the enemy" is particularly good for the psyche either.
    Look the Maggots have always been the enemy. They can be an ally or an enemy depending on their decisions. But footy fans have always viewed the umpires with distrust, much like politicians, car salesman, real estate agents etc. What else can they be? They have the power to influence games much like a politician has the power to influence the way you live. Are they always trusted to make the right decisions? Of course not. So they go from being a non entity to enemy in a millisecond. The best umpiring is when you don't notice them. That means they have done a good job. But unfortunately umpires today are so tragically bad, especially with incorrect disposal, that I cringe at many decisions let alone at the non decisions, especially incorrect disposal. The standard of umpiring is not helped by the AFL Rules committee and having to interpret rules like deliberate out of bounds, deliberate rushed behind and being told they can't police incorrect disposal because they can't see it by the CEO.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    We also faded in the last quarter and got beaten in a GF. Just a thought. I'd rather a four quarter performance than a two and a half thanks. It would be nice to get a good start though. A nice even 6-10 goals each quarter would do me.
    I was more thinking of the finals v Cats & Crows when we didn't fade away.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I was more thinking of the finals v Cats & Crows when we didn't fade away.

Cats vulnerable to fierce pressure. Showed last light. We monstered them in prelim last year. We had some sore boys in GF plus Doggies had huge support like us in 2005. If we make finals and have a week off beforehand, we can beat anyone if we are healthy and bring the pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Look the Maggots have always been the enemy. They can be an ally or an enemy depending on their decisions. But footy fans have always viewed the umpires with distrust, much like politicians, car salesman, real estate agents etc. What else can they be? They have the power to influence games much like a politician has the power to influence the way you live. Are they always trusted to make the right decisions? Of course not. So they go from being a non entity to enemy in a millisecond. The best umpiring is when you don't notice them. That means they have done a good job. But unfortunately umpires today are so tragically bad, especially with incorrect disposal, that I cringe at many decisions let alone at the non decisions, especially incorrect disposal. The standard of umpiring is not helped by the AFL Rules committee and having to interpret rules like deliberate out of bounds, deliberate rushed behind and being told they can't police incorrect disposal because they can't see it by the CEO.
    The use of the word enemy is very strong. I think it's more appropriately used for Pablo Escobar v The DEA rather than a football umpire.

I call upon you Wolftone to reassess your use of the word enemy.

Speaking about umpires in that light is detrimental to the game. Without dedicated officials there is no game and no enjoyment. Umpires make mistakes like you and I. Nobody is perfect.

You can say in a respectful tone to the person next to you "I think that was the incorrect decision by Umpire Chamberlin, but I'll have to watch the replay tonight to be sure".

That is a respectful, dignified and classy response.

We don't want out dedicated officials to be lambasted with booing, swearing and abusive behaviour. I think we can be better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    That's what happens when one thinks they are a demigod 09183305 - you just can't relate to the common man.....
    The common man can occasionally be encouraged to behave in a more dignified and classy manner. Stopping the booing at sporting events is an action that the common man can take to make the world a better place.

Adam Goodes did not like the booing. I think Adam would encourage you all to stop all varieties of booing at AFL venues.

As a Swans fan you can all build on Adams heartbreaking journey by refusing to boo opposition players or officials.

Stop the booing and you honour Adam Goodes.

Continue to boo and you honour Sam Newman.

The choice is yours.

Strewth. Bbbbboooooooo Bbooooooooo! Footy at its best has theatre. Theatre has heroes and villains. Heroes get cheered. Villains get booed. Sometimes the difference is not clear, sometimes its in the eye of the beholder. Once we start watching footy with intellectual rigour, political correctness, and steadfast non-commital appreciation of both teams skills without favour.... blah blah blah

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast