Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 20. Geelong V Sydney. Simonds Stadium 19.50 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Correct penalties and maybe now the vilification of Papley can cease. He was hit reasonably hard in a critical place that left him winded. The diving crap has me really annoyed.
    It has really annoyed me too but unfortunately (because of the Brad Scott and media prejudicial comments) I think the vilification will increase rather than go away.

Interesting re one-match suspensions for both Duncan and Merrett, so the MRP are grading winding a player as medium impact. I expected it to be low (as no longer-term effect). I think it is a sign that they are fed up with punching and have decided that fines have no deterrent effect.

So please all Swans players take note!

Veterans List
    My first visit to Kardinia Park in 36 years, and very enjoyable it was. Great team effort, just harder at it all night, and taking our chances. That said, Parker was enormous.

Excellent stadium, mostly pretty pleasant crowd (they did get a little narky with me when I suggested perhaps that the Selwoods hadn't earned their third high tackle free kick in a minute just before half time) and surprisingly clement conditions. Would do again!

We all fear this sliding into another Goodes scenario. No pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Maybe we can rest Buddy until finals - or slip some Valium into his water bottle. Some of his little jabs this year look pretty similar to the one that got Hawkins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We all fear this sliding into another Goodes scenario. No pun intended.
    Huh?

Veteran Site Admin
    It has really annoyed me too but unfortunately (because of the Brad Scott and media prejudicial comments) I think the vilification will increase rather than go away.

Interesting re one-match suspensions for both Duncan and Merrett, so the MRP are grading winding a player as medium impact. I expected it to be low (as no longer-term effect). I think it is a sign that they are fed up with punching and have decided that fines have no deterrent effect.

Brad or Chris?

Agree that all the Swans players need to be on notice - especially Jones and Buddy who are the two most prone to carry out a "cheapie" on an opponent, and both of whom are on the brink of a suspension even for a minor incident.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Brad or Chris?
    Yeah sorry, Chris, I always get them mixed up (for obvious reasons).

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Yeah sorry, Chris, I always get them mixed up (for obvious reasons).
    Chris at the Cats, Brad at the Bones (as in Shinboners).
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Unlucky for Duncan that Steven Spielberg isn't on the MRP.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Chris at the Cats, Brad at the Bones (as in Shinboners).
    Chris at the Cats works for me, but (as I'm not a Victorian so not steeped in VFL history) Shinboners not so much. But I'll try to do better!

Veterans List
    What annoys me when watching the Hawkins incident is that the umpire is looking right at him when he punches Rampe and yet he didn't pay a free.

I actually think 2 weeks was harsh for that incident especially when you compare it to the Cotchin one. But I guess his history doesn't help.

And how did they classify Duncan and Merrett different to Hodge? Very confusing.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    What annoys me when watching the Hawkins incident is that the umpire is looking right at him when he punches Rampe and yet he didn't pay a free.

I actually think 2 weeks was harsh for that incident especially when you compare it to the Cotchin one. But I guess his history doesn't help.

And how did they classify Duncan and Merrett different to Hodge? Very confusing.
    Both Duncan and Merrett wound up the punch, Hodge just "steel armed".

Good to see the AFL holding firm, any punch will now draw a penalty, whenever you pin the arms and a player hits his head there will be consequences.