Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 22 Adelaide V Sydney. Adelaide Oval 19.50 pm. Or 19.20 ACST.

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    Just so you know Glen James hated South Melbourne. He never told me why but he did tell me he hated us. He was a teacher at my school. I had bets with him on the footy. Mainly for Ice creams but south got on a roll one time and I got a few dollars of him with double or nothing bets. This is 100 percent true.
    I used to work with his wife Helen in State Bank.
    Met him a few times - he was always pretty quiet and bordering on rude.
    The take away was that he thought he was pretty important, even at company dinners etc
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Met him a few times - he was always pretty quiet and bordering on rude.
    The take away was that he thought he was pretty important, even at company dinners etc
    I don't know anything about this man but that sounds like the description of a shy person, not a rude person. Sadly people who tend to be on the introverted scale are often misunderstood.

(Just as we introverts often think extroverts are brash, smart-a show-offs.)

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I don't know anything about this man but that sounds like the description of a shy person, not a rude person. Sadly people who tend to be on the introverted scale are often misunderstood.

I know what you mean, Meg. We introverts need to stick together and not get bullied.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

Yep, your avatar looks like an introvert :-)

Just read the weekly, '9 Things We Learned' article, on the AFL site. Apparently what the AFL muppet learned from our game, was that in Buddy's goal, he supposedly ran too far after his fumbled bounce. So I had to count the steps, a number of times: I was getting either 11 or 12, but never more than 15.
    I don't know what to make of that sort of learning?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Just read the weekly, '9 Things We Learned' article, on the AFL site. Apparently what the AFL muppet learned from our game, was that in Buddy's goal, he supposedly ran too far after his fumbled bounce. So I had to count the steps, a number of times: I was getting either 11 or 12, but never more than 15.
    I don't know what to make of that sort of learning?
    I thought he ran too far watching it live. It's a distance limit, not a steps limit, and Buddy was striding out at the end. But it wasn't excessively far and would have taken a mean-spirited umpire to call him for it. It takes an even more mean-spirited journo to focus on that, given that officially (ie according to the umpires) he didn't run too far.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I thought he ran too far watching it live. It's a distance limit, not a steps limit, and Buddy was striding out at the end. But it wasn't excessively far and would have taken a mean-spirited umpire to call him for it. It takes an even more mean-spirited journo to focus on that, given that officially (ie according to the umpires) he didn't run too far.
    I've never been really sure if it was steps or metres. Or if steps are just used as a convenient measure of distance? But steps seems to be the more usual measure. And two Swans related incidents, more or less convinced me that the number of steps was the criteria. One was the Lewis Jetta goal, where he bounced the ball three times, when running almost a hundred metres, but he was okay because he bounced the ball every fourteen steps. The other was when Tadhg Kennelly only travelled about three or four metres, while sizing up where to go, but was penalised for taking sixteen or seventeen little steps, that were not much longer than Irish jig moves. And I do recall the umpire saying to a bemused Tadhg, that it was the number of steps.
    Of course, my theory is mainly based on the assumption, that AFL umpiring is consistent enough to draw logical conclusions. There may be a flaw in that assumption?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I've watched the replay and it was 12 steps from the time he picked up the ball after fumbling the second bounce. And those 12 steps are probably right on 15 metres but not more. I think those who say he ran too far are implicitly measuring from the point of the second bounce rather than from where Buddy regained the ball.

I agree, it would have been very mean spirited (in fact wrong) to penalise him.

This old boiler had the pleasure of sharing the exit row 13 with Will Hayward & Tom Papley this afternoon - all the SA boys stayed for the weekend with family (Stuey Dew & Tom Harley as well as George Hewitt & Reg Grundy) all on the 3.30 Virgin flight - what lovely boys Will & Tom are - as it was the exit row young Tom got asked by the hostie how old he was- poor kid he looked dejected when he said "I'm 18" Paps had a good laugh and I just said "I wish they'd ask me for ID" - but lovely kids we had a bit of a chat and the three of us fell asleep. I don't think I snored or dribbled. - I'm kind of liking the idea of us being 6th - we still get to host a final and get match fitness where as those in the top 4 may only have 2games in 4 weeks - it does make a difference. So we wait and see - but to make top 4 - Richmond need to lose and we need to thrash Carlton and get a massive percentage boost (it would also help if Pirt tumble as well. Simples!

Veterans List
    Nice work Wardy, assume you didn't know they were on that flight ....... or did you, hmmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The problem is that Jones has 2 fines, so any reportable offense would draw a 1 week suspension. Otherwise you wouldn't think there would be a problem.
    Assuming we will win vs Carlton, I actually think this would be not a bad outcome, as it would wipe his 2 strikes slate clean and give him an extra week off to prepare going into the finals.

Blog Entries
    Beaten all in the top 4 now.
    Who would have thought that at 0-6??