Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Media and the Swans (merged / renamed thread)

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, and Mumford arrived back in Sydney on crutches, from an ankle injury. If he doesn't get up, they will have even more problems.
    Exactly. A chance of beating the eagles but it wouldn't surprise me to see the eagles win but will get smashed by Richmond.

It's now Monday. The ABC carries 3x West Coast stories, 3x Adelaide Crows stories, 4x Richmond stories and ZERO Sydney Swans articles.
    give it to the game

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Yes it is, it's a lot different. Sit n watch any NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, bundesliga, EPL coverage/weekly shows n it's nothing like the garbage that gets served up in Australia.
    I would argue that ESPN's coverage of the NFL is just the same as that on Fox Footy. They have teams that receive far more coverage than others. Sometimes by design, other times it could be considered bias.

In any case, my post was referencing the Herald Sun. If you picked up the NY Times or any other newspaper the coverage is heavily skewed to the local team/s.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    I would argue that ESPN's coverage of the NFL is just the same as that on Fox Footy. They have teams that receive far more coverage than others. Sometimes by design, other times it could be considered bias.

In any case, my post was referencing the Herald Sun. If you picked up the NY Times or any other newspaper the coverage is heavily skewed to the local team/s.
    I disagree on the espn coverage. I totally agree on the toilet paper. It's been said numerous times that the issue is not that local media's coverage is skewed to local content. That's expected. It's that the so called NATIONAL media coverage still covers the game as if it's still the vfl pandering to Melbourne clubs. Media like OTC, 360, TF etc it's been predominantly Melbourne clubs getting air time until they've had no choice but to change as most of the Vic clubs have fallen by the wayside. FFS Adelaide have been top of the ladder for most of the year but if you listen to the media its gona be a Richmond fairytale, does that ring a bell. I gave the example previously of the weekly circle jerk on Melbourne, St Kilda, Richmond & Essendon. some on here sound like they have the battered wife syndrome. For a long time now the Melbourne media have given it to our club from academies to COLA to trading bans n not once have I heard a balanced story n now their looking for their "story" supporters start sticking up for them like the battered wife saying "but he's changed". I ain't buying it n they shouldn't be trying to sell it.

For the Lols..
    AFL Finals 2017: Garry Lyon slams Gus Gould commentary of NRL Finals

Gary Lyon, who hosts the nationally televised footy classified which spends 90% of its time talking about Victorian clubs has the hide to call NRL bias.
    Victorians seem to have a complete lack of self awareness.

Senior Player
    I think it's crystal clear that the Herald Sun & whatever the Adelaide paper is called are just local suburban rags basically, and
    they feel it's very important that their readership knows where Jack Reiwoldt walks his dog or what Rory Sloane's favourite
    colour is. These papers have never aimed any higher, and never will. They just don't have it in them. That is totally OK as well.
    There is one of these papers in Sydney, it's called the Daily Telegraph. It aims very low and very local also.
    It's media that claims to be national and accepts subscribers money on that basis, but doesn't deliver balanced coverage of
    all eighteen teams that bothers people. Fox Footy is broadcast nationally, and it's subscribers across the nation pay a fee.
    If they can't manage to cover all the teams vaguely equally, then maybe they should change the name to Fox Footy Melbourne,
    and followers of teams outside of Victoria, and people whose interest in footy extends beyond their own team can decide
    whether they want to subscribe.

I would like to point out that my post was (incorrectly) moved to this thread.

My post was about the lack of respect by a supposedly national and government media organisation.

1. It has nothing to do with Vic media bias. It has to do with the Sydney media bias.
    2. It has nothing to do with Vic media bias. It has to do with government charters being responsible and accountable.
    3. The biggest sporting event in Sydney was simply not covered.
    It's not for lack of a heading. Swan's fairytale run continues, Buddy on target, Bombers ditched. NRL poor crowds contrasted with Swans SCG effort.
    It's not for lack of coverage.

I've lost count of the number of times I've complained to the ABC that certain articles belong on the NRL page not the AFL page.

Here is a site which might interest people wanting to broaden there football news.

NewsNow: Aussie Rules, AFL news | Breaking News 24/7

give it to the game

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Just watched 360, a show that usually takes a national perspective to some degree.

Bar a nod to Buddy at the start, nothing. An in depth coverage of all three other games, but us - f all.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Just watched 360, a show that usually takes a national perspective to some degree.

Bar a nod to Buddy at the start, nothing. An in depth coverage of all three other games, but us - f all.
    They're possibly in denial. Ignore it and the problem (us) is bound to go away.

This doesn't bother me at all, especially as the team seems to perform worse when its favored.
    Notwithstanding, the media absolutely adore Richmond and now with them just 1 of 2 Vic teams left, they are going to go overboard.
    I don't care what Robbo, Caro, or whomever says about the Swans - all that matters to me is how they perform on the field.

Media - Vic bias

It might also relate to the fact that they are interviewing JPK tomorrow night [edit: tonight during On The Couch] - but it was pretty weak in terms of a weekend wrap of only four games. Even from an Essendon perspective it was bizarre - they didn't even get a mention.

It was even covered in more detail on AFL Tonight - which is half the duration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Matty10; 11th September 2017 at 10:32 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    I also think that there was less of a story about the Swans Bombers game than the other four. What more can they say other than what's they've been saying for the last few months. We're an in-form, powerhouse side that duly dispatched a less fancied opponent (that wasn't expected to do much in the finals) with aplomb.

The Power Eagles game was clearly the most significant from a theatre point of view, while the underperformance of the Cats and Giants took many by surprise - ie not just that they lost but the manner in which they lost.