Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Swans Academy Talent

Gulden reminds me so much of Tom Mitchell with his huge tank and small stature but not quite as good with the handball but far better by foot! I don't think we'll be in danger of losing him like we did with Tom but I definitely believe we'll be in danger of wasting his talent by not playing him inside mid as Horse has some obsession with playing kids on flanks and wings for several years and not letting them have a crack!

Freo has proved this year with Serong (who is also short) that if you have genuine talent then that can be enough to succeed no matter your age in the AFL!

I don't care how short Erol is, He is ready now to play on ball in the AFL!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Final Score 49-34
    Which I thought flattered the Giants a bit, as we were clearly the better side. A good honest performance, with a range of solid contributions. Thought that Gulden was BOG by a handy margin. Don't know what his stats were in the final quarter, but he seemed to be at almost every contest. There were a few times in that game, when I found it hard to believe, that he was at the bottom of that pack in the forward half, when I was sure that he started the movement out of the back pocket, just a few seconds earlier.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Which I thought flattered the Giants a bit, as we were clearly the better side. A good honest performance, with a range of solid contributions. Thought that Gulden was BOG by a handy margin. Don't know what his stats were in the final quarter, but he seemed to be at almost every contest. There were a few times in that game, when I found it hard to believe, that he was at the bottom of that pack in the forward half, when I was sure that he started the movement out of the back pocket, just a few seconds earlier.
    That's a good sign of Swans work ethic.....the coaches love that. He did look good.....a future talent for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    That's a good sign of Swans work ethic.....the coaches love that. He did look good.....a future talent for sure.
    Yes, and I also liked Thorne around the contests. As well as getting plenty of hard balls, he also made plenty of tackles and shepherds. I thought he was a bit unlucky, not to pick up a rookie spot last year. If he keeps that up, he might get one this year.

Yes, and I also liked Thorne around the contests. As well as getting plenty of hard balls, he also made plenty of tackles and shepherds. I thought he was a bit unlucky, not to pick up a rookie spot last year. If he keeps that up, he might get one this year.
    I feel sorry for some of these kids who might normally get a rookie spot, but with the probable cut in list sizes, it appears less likely.

I also thought Gulden looked very good. He wasn't the smallest player on the park. I think he's grown a bit. In any case, he's tough and looks like an inside mid.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    . we'll be in danger of wasting his talent by not playing him inside mid as Horse has some obsession with playing kids on flanks and wings for several years and not
    A bit early to be throwing Horse under bus when the kid hasn’t been drafted yet and even shown himself good enough to get a game at AFL level.

Premature adjudication.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I feel sorry for some of these kids who might normally get a rookie spot, but with the probable cut in list sizes, it appears less likely.

I also thought Gulden looked very good. He wasn't the smallest player on the park. I think he's grown a bit. In any case, he's tough and looks like an inside mid.
    Yes, I was wondering if he has grown a couple of centimetres.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    A bit early to be throwing Horse under bus when the kid hasn’t been drafted yet and even shown himself good enough to get a game at AFL level.

Premature adjudication.
    Based on past behaviour. He does have form.

Scorers and best players from yesterday's games.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...24641394231232

Anyone who thinks Longmire is alone when playing young kids in other positions is deluded. Serong has been mentioned as an example of an exception rather than the rule. In Fremantle’s team, Brayshaw (Pick 2) and Cerra (Pick 5) have had to play other positions before playing mids.

Rowbottom is playing as an inside mid for us but let’s overlook this as it doesn’t suit the “Hate Horse” narrative. Gulden will likely play as a small forward to begin with and there is nothing wrong with that. Personally, I think he has shown to be a consistently better player than Campbell but will likely be drafted 20+ positions later and I’ll be grateful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Anyone who thinks Longmire is alone when playing young kids in other positions is deluded. Serong has been mentioned as an example of an exception rather than the rule. In Fremantle’s team, Brayshaw (Pick 2) and Cerra (Pick 5) have had to play other positions before playing mids.

Rowbottom is playing as an inside mid for us but let’s overlook this as it doesn’t suit the “Hate Horse” narrative. Gulden will likely play as a small forward to begin with and there is nothing wrong with that. Personally, I think he has shown to be a consistently better player than Campbell but will likely be drafted 20+ positions later and I’ll be grateful for that.
    Yes, I suspect that Gulden's lower ranking is purely because of his small stature. I've generally rated him above Campbell. Not that I have anything against Campbell, and I think that pundits are correct, when they have him being taken in the 5-10 range.

Yes, I suspect that Gulden's lower ranking is purely because of his small stature. I've generally rated him above Campbell. Not that I have anything against Campbell, and I think that pundits are correct, when they have him being taken in the 5-10 range.
    Very wet wet ground that had been battered by rain all morning. Just to clarify for those that watched, the futures game was essentially mainly under 17s with some 18s and a couple of the bigger bodied 16s thrown in. The second game was a mixture of 19s and 18s with a sprinkle of 17s.

Interesting in the two teams approach as the giants musnt rate their 18s very highly as their later team included a lot of 17s players in it and they mixed the two squads up quite a bit more.

The first game was pretty much played in a pool so wasnt much of a spectacle, the ground water had dissipated a fair bit by the second game so wasnt as messy.

Swans across the board a clearly more cohesive better trained squad and to be honest I thought that was what got them across the line in both games.

Gulden had 33 Disposals and 5 tackles plus the couple of goals.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast