Page 318 of 418 FirstFirst ... 218268308314315316317318319320321322328368 ... LastLast
Results 3,805 to 3,816 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post

Some of our best players were picked at about this position in the draft. Goodes was pick 43 in 1997, O'Loughlin was pick 40 in 1994.
    LOL Barrassi was still coaching then and most of our list wasn't born

Having to draft Blakey has tied our hands this trade period. We couldn’t go after anyone big via trade as we needed the 1st rounder for Blakey. I guess we could have used a future pick.

Next year we’ll be in a stronger trading but weaker drafting position.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post

Some of our best players were picked at about this position in the draft. Goodes was pick 43 in 1997, O'Loughlin was pick 40 in 1994.
    Luke Parker, pick 40.

Regardless of who we draft, I'm sure the message will be that we were shocked he was still available at our pick.
    Ed Considine's day out - Round 3, 16th April 1995.
    11 Kicks, 13 Handballs, 8 Marks, 1 Goal, 1 Behind, 1 Tackle, 1 Hitout, 3 Brownlow votes (his only votes)
    Ed = God

Looks like Brisbane and Freo will trade between themselves for Neale. Brisbane giving up picks 5 and 19.
    Freo will probably use 19 to get Lobb from GWS. And my guess is Sheil will stay.
    I thought GWS would be a bit more desperate for a ruckman with Lobb going, and the highly rated (by Ludwig) Cameron would have been a chance.
    Maybe straight swap of Cameron for Findayson ?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Looks like Brisbane and Freo will trade between themselves for Neale. Brisbane giving up picks 5 and 19.
    Freo will probably use 19 to get Lobb from GWS. And my guess is Sheil will stay.
    I thought GWS would be a bit more desperate for a ruckman with Lobb going, and the highly rated (by Ludwig) Cameron would have been a chance.
    Maybe straight swap of Cameron for Findayson ?
    Finlayson is staying at GW$
    I'd love to see the Shiel, Hogan and Neale deal fall over

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Gills view is that what is happening to the Giants and Gold Coast is the salary cap working perfectly.
    But as we know, no COLA or retention allowance = a relative salary cap 10 to 20% lower than vic clubs. (Not in absolute $$, but in buying power)
    McLachlan didn't finish the sentence. What he meant to say was, "what is happening at GWS and the Suns is the salary cap working
    perfectly for the Melbourne clubs". Has he seen the list of players who have left the Suns and Brisbane over the last few years?
    Interesting to see Matthews from GWS' comments about how they couldn't afford to pay up to the salary cap in their first three years.
    So GWS don't get enough money to pay up to the cap initially, and as soon as they start going OK on the field, their cap is reduced.
    Meanwhile, we get banned from trading because Buddy wants to live with his partner in Sydney (and cos he's an adult, away from
    "home") and doesn't go to GWS. The whole thing is just a shambles. Where do they get these idiots in the AFL from? The Liberal Party?.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Head of Football... with no coaching experience.
    I think he's as poisonous, if not more, than Stevie J.
    Pretty strong stuff,Annie. Anything to support it?

Yeah, but he's not a dickhead.
    Tom is a dickhead, as is Stevie J. Has Tom got the "corporate" background experience that Andrew Ireland has?
    I think not.
    I think the exodus of our coaching staff has a lot to do with Tom Harley.
    +1 again.

You are 100% correct. Source mentioned in previous post can not be revealed. Let me just say his nickname is "2 bob" as he has to be involved in everything to a micro managing level and great people are walking. It seems ex teammates are given a free ticket to learn how to coach before they leave for another club.

Arrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhh.

He will never be an Andrew Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    And so they don't find themselves in a similar position to this year in having to offload favourite sons for donuts.
    Favorite sons is mutually exclusive to valued player.

And removing those players is mutually exclusive to our lack of trading this year.

Sometimes the right players aren't around and/or the cards don't fall the way they wanted them to.
    That said, North did pretty well with a mediocre recent history, and obviously building their own hype and potential growth and elevation towards the finals.
    Regardless of how well or poorly we did, and how we were constrained by circumstance, we would have potentially been able to do more with people from North or Hawks with us.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Yeah, but he's not a dickhead.
    Tom is a dickhead, as is Stevie J. Has Tom got the "corporate" background experience that Andrew Ireland has?
    I think not.
    I think the exodus of our coaching staff has a lot to do with Tom Harley.
    Sounds like we have a dickhead policy now

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    It's time for the northern clubs to join forces to argue this to the AFL. The only reason that we aren't a basket case like the others (GWS not quite yet) is that we have a fantastic culture and development program.

GWS Giants CEO slams AFL over removal of COLA
    Short sighted from him to use the phrase "particularly an expansion club" as being deserving of COLA.
    Soon enough you'll no longer be seen as an expansion club and lose it again.
    COLA should be in place where the cost of living is higher, and that includes WA.
    There should also be a retention allowance for Qld.

Then we can start to talk about compensation for players who do not get the same corporate sponsorships as Vic players.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be happy to trade out a bunch of picks for a first round future pick, if any team was open to that.
    Given the 'live in the moment and try to buy a flag approach that some teams seem to have at the moment, you never know.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Finlayson is staying at GW$
    I'd love to see the Shiel, Hogan and Neale deal fall over
    Just. Heard Hogan to Fremantle has been done. Neale is also going to Brisbane. NOt a great trading period for the Swans. Gave up Hanners, Rohan and probablyNewman for nothing and received Clarke for virtually nothing. Hope the draft works out better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk