Page 48 of 418 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    In regard to Rioli, it really is starting to sound like the Swans and all the other teams were the victims of some Hawthorn draft cheating (and who's surprised with that?!) with Cyril's active involvement and blessing.....scummy behaviour!
    I'm not sure that it was necessarily scummy behaviour. My recall of the book about that year's draft was that Rioli and Hawthorn had worked hard on the relationship, and that Rioli had indicated that his preference was to be in Melbourne. Why would you draft him in such a circumstance?

I'm more annoyed by the "Now that Rioli has gone Hawks can pick up Sloane and Lynch." What did the man say? 'You can't have everything'. O'Maera, Mitchell, Sloane, Lynch. Seems that the Hawks can have whatever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Why would you draft him in such a circumstance?
    You wouldn't.
    Rocca.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

I'm more annoyed by the "Now that Rioli has gone Hawks can pick up Sloane and Lynch." What did the man say? 'You can't have everything'. O'Maera, Mitchell, Sloane, Lynch. Seems that the Hawks can have whatever they want.
    Can't have Buddy
    I See It But I Don't Believe It!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    In regard to Rioli, it really is starting to sound like the Swans and all the other teams were the victims of some Hawthorn draft cheating (and who's surprised with that?!) with Cyril's active involvement and blessing.....scummy behaviour!
    The info on this is nothing recent. Uggs info is 100% correct and came out shortly after his draft. Cyril wanted to go to Hawthorn, and someone (obviously Hawks and someone else assisting them) made his highlight reel disappear. He also made it very clear in the club interviews that he wanted to stay in Melbourne.

I'm not sure that it was necessarily scummy behaviour. My recall of the book about that year's draft was that Rioli and Hawthorn had worked hard on the relationship, and that Rioli had indicated that his preference was to be in Melbourne. Why would you draft him in such a circumstance?

Certainly hypocritical of the AFL community that's for sure. I wouldn't be too concerned if it happened though. Are they going to win a premiership whilst he is there? Extremely unlikely I would have thought. They have an aging list already, even without him.

I wish Hanners was going better this year. Maybe GC would offer him a contract too big to refuse. I would trade him and our 1st round pick for GC's 1st rounder (probably pick 2). I would take Izak Rankine with that pick. I would use the extra cap space from trading Hanners to get Luke Dahlhaus as a FA. And get Blakey by using our 2nd round picks.

Veterans List
    Longmire was quite adamant a week or so ago that McVeigh was retiring at the end of the year, despite speculation from the 5000 accredited AFL journos. That's code for "we will have more cap space to fit in a steal from another club".

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I wish Hanners was going better this year. Maybe GC would offer him a contract too big to refuse. I would trade him and our 1st round pick for GC's 1st rounder (probably pick 2). I would take Izak Rankine with that pick. I would use the extra cap space from trading Hanners to get Luke Dahlhaus as a FA. And get Blakey by using our 2nd round picks.
    Your dreamin.... Hannebery is a non-tradable commodity going on 2 years form and overpriced contract ...We'll just have to hope he comes good.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Yes Hanners on 2018 form would not be worth much in the trading period. If he returned to form getting his zip back in 2019 then he would be worth something. We are stuck with him so we can only hope that he recovers what he has lost. His decline has been stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Yes Hanners on 2018 form would not be worth much in the trading period. If he returned to form getting his zip back in 2019 then he would be worth something. We are stuck with him so we can only hope that he recovers what he has lost. His decline has been stunning.

Unless he retires.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Have a feeling that Swans will be big players in the coming draft, hopefully on a par with the year we brought in Kennedy, McGlynn and Mumford. Maybe have to use player swaps rather than picks, not that I have a deep insight into this. Others on this forum more informed about details than me.

I tend to agree with Blood Fever. Danger for us is that Lloyd agrees to go to a bottom club like Gold Coast or Carlton for big money and gets there via the pre season draft. Then we get absolutely nothing for him. Happened to us with Membery a few seasons back. He is worth a first rounder on current form. Most of our other likely tradeable players are not worth much now unless we agree to let someone like Jones go for a good deal (he has a year left on his contract). There will certainly be quite a few list changes come the end of the year. Most though will be fringe players or veterans let go.