Page 102 of 418 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,213 to 1,224 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We cam trade all we like. The fact is that Reid has to agree to the trade and that doesn't seem likely since he wants to stay in Sydney.
    So you're saying that it is not possible for Reid to be traded?
    Same with Hannebery then.
    Deals get done, salaries are covered or partly covered, etc

As I said, I'm not a fan, so I'll throw it out every so often.
    Who knows where he currently wants to be located? Things change.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Reporters on both On the Couch and FootyClassified tonight saying that Hanners is heading to the Saints. I’m still at a loss how this can happen without the Swans agreeing given he is under contract for several more seasons? Am I missing something? Are they desperate to offload him? I can only see that scenario if they are made a good offer for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1
    Caro on Footy Classified said Hannebery will be at the Saints next year who have offered him a 4 year deal with an option of a 5th, which she THINKS he'll find too good to refuse. Basically St.Kilda are trying to lure Hannerbery by offering him an extra year on the 3 years @ $800k he has with the Swans. If Hannebery recaptures his AA form, there's every reason to believe the Swans will renew his contract in 3 years time. St.Kilda obviously think he will recapture his AA form by offering him this 4 year deal. It then begs the question why Hannebery would want to go to a bottom 4 team who most likely won't see any finals action during this time & leave a team who most likely will continue to be finals bound, for just an extra year deal?

Harley who recently didn't want to give this story any further oxygen, stated Hannebery has not requested to be traded and is a required player.

For Hannebery to land at the Saints, BOTH he & the Swans must agree to sever their current contract it they reckon it's in the best interest of both parties (i.e. St Kilda make an attractive trade offer & Hannebery doesn't mind not playing finals for the remainder of his career). Hannebery does not hold sway as these Media reporters seem to be suggesting. This is all just speculative at this stage imo.
    Last edited by KSAS; 28th August 2018 at 03:48 AM.

I think Swans want to offload Hanners. Much of the “hosing down” I’ve seen in the media has been Harley, Horse et al refusing to talk about it whilst the Swans season is still alive.

Harley’s comment is weasel worded that he’s a required player who hasn’t requested a trade means nothing as he wouldn’t request it until season is over. Harley didn’t say he wouldn’t be traded.

My belief is he’ll be traded because they want draft picks, space in the cap for one or more replacements.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Most of these trade rumour always seem to be one way. From nonvic to Vic clubs.
    Is it just the natural Melbourne media bias or are non Vic teams having a hard time keeping players?
    Or both.

And I can't see Horse or Harley or anyone else at the Swans telling the press what they are planning for the future, let alone the immediate future. They will continue to play a dead bat - as I think they should!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I can understand the Swans side of things for maybe wanting to offload Hannebery, but he has to agree to move on, particularly to a club like St Kilda at this point in his career. If the Swans do want to offload Hannebery, why didn't they do so with Tippett? He was on bigger $$$, only showed glimpses of top form & meant we could've afforded to keep Mitchell. Maybe they did but didn't get any bites, who knows?

I'm just questioning the way the media is portraying Hannebery is holding sway whether he goes to St.Kilda, like he's an uncontracted player & we're then obliged to get a trade done if he does.

Yep, my feeling has been that Hannebery is gone.
    I've said before I'll be ok with a result either way, so I am not hoping he stays of goes, but they way this has all gone down so far indicates that it's all very on the cards and some serious talks have been had.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

On the Rookie List
    I would happily trade the 2018 version of Hannebery, but the 2016 version I would like to keep.
    If we can get a trade that involves St.Kilda's first round pick we should be jumping at it. Firstly, it gives us the opportunity to get some high quality talent in to the club and secondly, it will free up salary cap space so we can keep our latest All-Australian squad member Jake Lloyd. I believe that Lloyd is far more important to the team now than Hannebery is.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    So you're saying that it is not possible for Reid to be traded?
    Same with Hannebery then.
    Just to summarize my thoughts on the post season:

If I'm the Swans' list manager, what do I want to accomplish:
    1. Get Nick Blakey without using our 1st round pick. The points from later picks will suffice.
    2. So how can I best utilize the value of our 1st round pick?
    3. Pick up a free agent like Gaff, Dahlhaus or Wallis.
    4. Free up salary cap space to recruit a quality player, a free agent if possible.

Possible trades:
    1. Sam Reid can be traded if he agrees and someone wants him. There's no indication of either. He's an injury prone player, so most clubs would shy away from offering him a bigger contract than he already has. His wife's family is from Sydney. He says he's committed not only to the club but to the city. Very unlikely to go.
    2. I would look to trade Gary Rohan for a 2nd round pick.
    3. Hannebery meets the criteria of being a high profile quality player, except for this year, that other clubs have already shown an interest in. His father is friends with Simon Lethlean of the Saints. The Saints have a well placed pick 4 in the draft. The Saints are desperate to improve next year and are likely to look for a short term fix than develop another player in the draft who might take years to contribute at Hannebery's level.
    4. The Saints have said they have put an offer on the table for Hanners. It's been widely reported in the media.
    5. The deal would involve sending Hanners to the Saints along with our 1st round pick in exchange the Saints pick #4. They may be additional later picks also coming our way, possibly a 2019 2nd round pick.
    6. I don't think the deal would still have life unless there was some agreement already from all camps, including Hannebery and the Swans to seriously explore this deal.
    7. End of career contracts often don't have potential premierships as a key component. I think Hanners will move back to Victoria once his playing career is over, so why not get some extra cash in the bank and start early.
    8. A Hannebery trade would meet part of our trade goals for the year. The other big part would be to land a free agent. I would think that we are working behind the scenes and have had discussions with the managers of players we are interested in.

Does no one think we'll make a move for Steven May?

With Grundy in his twilight years and Melican always injured, he'd be an ideal inclusion

He seems to have anger issues, but look I would too if I played for the Suns

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Just to summarize my thoughts on the post season:

[/LIST]
    You've omitted to commenting on Moore. While I am in the camp of not really understanding where he fits with our list, the rumours linking him with Sydney won't go away.

If we do trade Hanners out, I imagine that whatever we get in will be required, in part or in whole, to trade for Moore. The Pies will ask for a high first round pick or a lower first round pick and something else. Is he worth that at the trade table? I have no idea.

If the Saints have their heart set on Hanners, I can't see how they can get the trade done and still keep their first round pick. They have no decent players who they can afford to trade and have no second or third round picks either. They can use future picks but they still have limited currency. But that doesn't necessarily mean their first round pick needs to come to Sydney. They might get better value for trading it for a basket of picks from Adelaide and then passing one of those to Sydney. That pick might, in turn, be sufficient to send to the Pies for Moore, if they club is after him.

I am sceptical about the prospect of trading to the top of the draft to get another player before Blakey. It's a reasonably high risk strategy because another club could still bid for him before our first pick, knowing full well that the Swans will match. I guess it's just Gold Coast who could be in that position, with them likely to hold picks 2 and 3, but they could yet trade one or both of those out to other clubs.

Ludwig I largely agree with you.

The bit that makes no sense to me is why the Saints would give up pick 4 for Hanners in his current form. Maybe if they can get Hanners it proves they are a “destination club” and will encourage others to join?

The Saints don't lose their first round pick, just trade down to the mid teens. Without a swap of first round pick I can't see how a deal gets done.

I wouldn't do the trade if I were STK, unless I felt certain that Hanners could get back to his best.

I didn't mention Moore because I think it's a dumb trade. It doesn't mean it won't happen.