Page 109 of 418 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119159209 ... LastLast
Results 1,297 to 1,308 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
    They might be dumb enough to go for that
    Hanner's dad is mates with Lethlean so the Saints are anything but objective on this trade.
    Otherwise the Saints might end up with a priority pick around pick 23 anyways.

Probably more likely they keep 4 and give us that P Pick.

So if we have 13 + 23 + 31 + 34.

So that would make it easy to get a kid at pick 13 + Blakey and then have another pick in the mid-late 30s. Not bad.

Or use pick 13 on my boy Todd Marshall and still get Blakey plus another kid in the 30s.
    That can't happen. Pick 13 would have to be used on Blakey. You could trade that pick before draft night though and I think that would be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I don’t rate Blakey that highly

I suggest pick 10-13

In my opinion there are a stack of players higher then him that will be more crucial for Lower teams
    Buckenara has him at 6, Cal Twomey as one of the “super 7”. I doubt he’ll make it that far

Veterans List

I suggest pick 10-13

In my opinion there are a stack of players higher then him that will be more crucial for Lower teams
    They won't let us get Blakey cheap, they know we'll match so a no brainer that trhe clubs around Blakey's value get together to work out who's calling his name. Will certainly be before 10, doubt we'll get past that @@@@@ Dodoro at the Injectors. Swans will be expecting a 6-8 range and plan accordingly.

If we can't trade/swap picks to get into the top 5 to get a player before Blakey, we'll almost certainly trade our first for two picks in the 20s worth more points and hopefully preserve our two picks in the 30s.

Warming the Bench

I suggest pick 10-13

Can i ask why?

I just don’t see a young Jarrod roughhead or Buddy Franklin in the video footage I have seen so far

Those two players as an example looked miles ahead when going for the draft

Compare them at the same age for draft and it is chalk and cheese and therefore it is a risk to take a very very skinny tall rangy forward as an early pick for so many clubs

Jack watts comes to mind
    Andrew walker etc

Minimal risk is taking a barn storming midfielder in the top 10 picks like the trend has been......most bottom teams can’t afford to get there first round pick wrong

I do think Blakey is a lock 10-13 pick

I just don’t see a young Jarrod roughhead or Buddy Franklin in the video footage I have seen so far

Those two players as an example looked miles ahead when going for the draft

Compare them at the same age for draft and it is chalk and cheese and therefore it is a risk to take a very very skinny tall rangy forward as an early pick for so many clubs

Jack watts comes to mind
    Andrew walker etc

Minimal risk is taking a barn storming midfielder in the top 10 picks like the trend has been......most bottom teams can’t afford to get there first round pick wrong

I do think Blakey is a lock 10-13 pick
    Lance Franklin shouldn't be in any comparison conversation. He's just a freak. But I can see a bit of Roughead in Blakey, as someone who can play multiple positions and is a clever versatile footballer.

And what's wrong with Andrew Walker? I thought he was a pretty good player, although perhaps went a bit high in the draft. He was very talented, but was hampered by injury. He did manage to play 200 games though.

Blakey has a lean upper body, but is solid below the waste. He will fill in like all these kids do once they get into a weights program, so no concerns there.

The highest our current 1st round pick can be is #12. Would you suggest that we pass on Blakey and take the best available barnstorming midfielder available at that time? Then we can go on and take our 2 second round picks in the 30s.

A curious thing about this draft is that the top 7 look very good, but then falls off into a sea of uncertainty. It's for this reason that pick 4 plus Blakey (and who cares about the rest) looks pretty good for a club finishing in the top 8, if that would come to pass.

Reg has just signed on for another year.

Hurry up Llllllllooooooooooooyd.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

A curious thing about this draft is that the top 7 look very good, but then falls off into a sea of uncertainty. It's for this reason that pick 4 plus Blakey (and who cares about the rest) looks pretty good for a club finishing in the top 8, if that would come to pass.
    I think one should always be wary of so-called "super drafts", especially a year ahead of time. Everyone was raving about this year's crop last year but the top end of the 2017 draft is currently looking very good indeed, especially for midfielders.

I reckon a lot of the excitement about this year's draft was based around the number of tall forwards in the top echelon. Now that things have settled, there do appear to be four tall forwards amongst the touted best seven. Max King's knee injury has taken some of the gloss away, but it's also a curiosity that the teams who currently hold the top six spots (leaving Blakey out of the equation), as a group, seem to need to bolster their midfields more than their tall stocks. Carlton just need good players everywhere but Curnow (and to a lesser extent McKay) make their forward line look like the area least in need of talent injection. Brisbane are well stocked with talls at both ends of the ground, while even the Saints probably have greater need in their midfield than forward line (depending on their view of McCartin's prospects). Gold Coast need everything and will probably take at least one tall but they do still have Day and Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think one should always be wary of so-called "super drafts", especially a year ahead of time. Everyone was raving about this year's crop last year but the top end of the 2017 draft is currently looking very good indeed, especially for midfielders.

I reckon a lot of the excitement about this year's draft was based around the number of tall forwards in the top echelon. Now that things have settled, there do appear to be four tall forwards amongst the touted best seven. Max King's knee injury has taken some of the gloss away, but it's also a curiosity that the teams who currently hold the top six spots (leaving Blakey out of the equation), as a group, seem to need to bolster their midfields more than their tall stocks. Carlton just need good players everywhere but Curnow (and to a lesser extent McKay) make their forward line look like the area least in need of talent injection. Brisbane are well stocked with talls at both ends of the ground, while even the Saints probably have greater need in their midfield than forward line (depending on their view of McCartin's prospects). Gold Coast need everything and will probably take at least one tall but they do still have Day and Wright.
    And 2 meter peter as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I don't have an issue with Reg and Macca both playing on for a year, though I wondered if the club would have to choose between the two, just from a list management perspective.

I do hope the club has had conversations with both about the prospects of them playing some NEAFL football next year. Their current form warrants them continuing, but wouldn't like to see a fit Melican, or a confident Aliir, or a dashing O'Riordan confined to the NEAFL if they are playing well enough to play senior football.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    And 2 meter peter as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That would be Wright, would it not?