Page 113 of 418 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,345 to 1,356 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I see Saints have offered $800k a year to Polec over 4-5 years. I wonder if they can afford both Polec and Hanners?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Can I repeat again that giving up pick 4 and getting pick 13 back is NOT the same as giving up pick 24. And definitely not in this draft.

For the sake of argument, if we were to get pick 4, and Blakey was called out in the top 3 (I agree, quite unlikely, but I do wonder if someone would do it just to mess us up), then we'd not get another first round pick other than Blakey.

The other plan doing the rounds is Saints do a pick swap with ADL and turn pick 4 into two first rounders 7 and 14 (or similar). I guess then they'd potentially offer us pick 14 outright for Hanners - the same as we got for Tom-not-that-good-oh-actually-he-is-Mitchell. Then we'd have picks 13 and 14 and would be guaranteed Blakey plus another first rounder, albeit a more lowly one.
    For whatever it's worth, and I have plenty of criticism about it, but the value points associated with picks has become the currency standard within the industry for value-rating trades. It just came to pass that way because it's a convenient system that every club is familiar with. To say the swap of picks 4 and 13 is equivalent to pick 24 is just a convenient way of putting a number on the value of swapping those picks. Otherwise, we (and recruiters) would be arguing all day about such things.

In this year I would certainly value the swap of picks 4 and 13 to be worth more than a pick 24 because of the top end value of this particular draft. It would be a particularly good outcome for us. For the Saints, it's a very complicated issue because they're in the market for a lot of players and have a need for everything, mature players and high draft picks as well.

If GC bid their pick 3 on Blakey, I would let him go and take either Smith or Rankine. Blakey would be a big flight risk after 2 years and Gold Coast knows it, and would deserve to lose Blakey if they made such a malicious bid. It's not going to happen.

Adelaide are not going to trade picks 8 and 15 for pick 4, because Lukosius will already be gone by then and maybe Rankine as well. And I can't see Gold Coast wanting to lose either picks 2 or 3 for more picks down the draft when they already have loads in the 2nd and early 3rd rounds.

The latest news is that the Saints have offered Polec $4 mil over 5 years, which looks a better deal for them. It will also probably cost less in compensation since Polec is out of contract. Let's see what transpires.

Every chance Hanners may still be with the Swans next year, despite all the chatter.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    I think it will be borderline if Blakey goes in the first 5. Listened to two talent judges besides Buckenara,and both had him in the top seven of picks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If they took Blakey at 3 and we had 4, let him go and you effectively move up to a No.3 pick.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

How about the one doing the rounds last night and this morning - that we are heavily chasing Tom Jonas from Port . This one’s a head scratcher for me , with Allir playing well ( other than last week ) and Melican to come back not sure why we would need another medium -KP defender. Unless the swans want to give Rampe his chance in the midfield , and are looking for a ready made replacement. Would be one way to instantly bolster our midfield , I have no doubt Rampe would Star in there , just like ROK did when he finally give his chance on the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    How about the one doing the rounds last night and this morning - that we are heavily chasing Tom Jonas from Port . This one’s a head scratcher for me , with Allir playing well ( other than last week ) and Melican to come back not sure why we would need another medium -KP defender. Unless the swans want to give Rampe his chance in the midfield , and are looking for a ready made replacement. Would be one way to instantly bolster our midfield , I have no doubt Rampe would Star in there , just like ROK did when he finally give his chance on the ball.

I think they may be worried about the reliability of our key defender stocks. While we have good players, there are a lot of 'ifs':
    - if Melican can play out successive seasons injury free
    - if Aliir can maintain his form over entire seasons
    - if Grundy can play out another season without hitting the wall
    - if AJ gets back
    - if Maibaum comes on.

There's reason to doubt. I understand wanting to strengthen that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    If they took Blakey at 3 and we had 4, let him go and you effectively move up to a No.3 pick.
    We'd be stuck between a rock and a hard place in that situation.

Match the bid and you're paying overs as a result of another clubs spite.

Let him go and you pick up a gun midfielder and hope to get Blakey in a couple of years time. You will still need to pay something for him to get him back to the club and it won't be discounted. This could also have the potential to damage the relationship between Blakey and the club as well as the academy brand in general.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    We'd be stuck between a rock and a hard place in that situation.

Match the bid and you're paying overs as a result of another clubs spite.

Let him go and you pick up a gun midfielder and hope to get Blakey in a couple of years time. You will still need to pay something for him to get him back to the club and it won't be discounted. This could also have the potential to damage the relationship between Blakey and the club as well as the academy brand in general.
    Precisely. The idea behind trading up would be to secure Blakey AND another player rated in the top handful. If this did happen, sure the club could pass on Blakey but it would render the tactic a failure. The club would want to rate the alternative player much higher than they do Blakey to go down this path.

It's hard to know whether clubs will dabble in bidding like this, but it's hard to identify when it has happened. The experts seem to have identified a "top 7" and Blakey fits within this. A club bidding on him with a top three pick might genuinely rate him there.

I had doubts whether Mills would really have been taken with pick 3 in an open draft. Given that it was Melbourne who bid on him, and Roos knew him very well, it is possible they did genuinely rank him there. But usually a player who has played very little football in his final U18 year slips a little in the draft. It was a no-lose situation for Melbourne to bid on him there because the Swans were always going to match.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post

I’ve always wondered about that. Rampe to the midfield

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I think they may be worried about the reliability of our key defender stocks. While we have good players, there are a lot of 'ifs':
    - if Melican can play out successive seasons injury free
    - if Aliir can maintain his form over entire seasons
    - if Grundy can play out another season without hitting the wall
    - if AJ gets back
    - if Maibaum comes on.

There's reason to doubt. I understand wanting to strengthen that area.
    Maybe this is why we're linked to Darcy Moore? No way we can get Jonas who's a local lad out of Port, just another lot of hot air to fill the airwaves.

There'll be some shenanigan's with pick trading this year.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Maybe this is why we're linked to Darcy Moore? No way we can get Jonas who's a local lad out of Port, just another lot of hot air to fill the airwaves.

There'll be some shenanigan's with pick trading this year.
    Yeah, I think it is why we're linked with Moore. I wonder whether the Jonas interest suggests Moore's staying at Collingwood.

On the Age podcast yesterday Caroline Wilson continues to treat Hanners departure to the Saints as fact saying our games v GW$ could well be his last for the Swans.