Page 378 of 418 FirstFirst ... 278328368374375376377378379380381382388 ... LastLast
Results 4,525 to 4,536 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

And a handy and comprehensive guide to the potential draftees: https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/w...ft-Guide-1.pdf.

Afternoon all
    I’ve been away a bit

The draft is on tonight ?

Can we watch it live on the afl website ?

I think that even though we are well placed for inside mids in our best 22 we don't have much in the cupboard after that after focusing on more outside type players in recent years. For this reason I expect us to target at least one inside mid with our ND picks. Promising options include: Ely Smith, Jack Bytel, Tom Joyce and even Sydney Stack.

Other names that have we have been linked to like Tom Sparrow, and Jack Ross, I'm less keen on. Will Hamill *might* be worth a try.

Bailey Williams looks like a good pick if he slides as far as our picks but then again he's got a bit in common with Tom McCartin so perhaps we don't need him. I'd probably take him if we wind up having three consecutive picks at the end of second round and he reaches that far down.

Tonight will be interesting (if the AFL don't totally stuff it up) but I'm much more looking forward to finding out who we pick tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    While I was on the site I also took the opportunity to listen to a podcast with Emma Quayle about the draft: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...15-p50g4y.html. Worth a listen. She suggests that in her experience (at GWS) clubs ARE less likely to bid on player tied to another club, but not to the point that it gets ridiculous.
    That was quite good. She reckons that Blakey is top 7 from memory.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

The Draft will be broadcast live on Fox Footy (channel 504) from 6:30pm (AEDT), with the first round expected to commence about 7pm. Day two will be broadcast live on Fox Footy (channel 504) from midday.

Why is there a day2 tomorrow for the draft ?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Dubious world of AFL's Next Generation Academies

So Jake Niall has taken swipe at the NGA system, mostly making points that have already been raised on this forum over the last few years (ie that the clubs entitled to these players have done absolutely nothing to contribute to their development).

His support for the "necessary evils" that are the Northern Academies is somewhat lukewarm and misses most of their point. I wonder if he realises just how broad in scope the Northern Academies are, and how many boys participate in them every year. To me that is the absolutely critical difference between them and the NGAs - they are about far more than just cherry picking elite talent just as it is about to be drafted.
    Thanks for the link liz, I enjoyed reading the article, even with the provisos you mention.

The most serious omission I'd pick up is the so-called "necessary evils". This is a dopey slur on a vital contribution the Northern clubs are making, helping to enlarge the reach of Australian Rules (damn the AFL and their self-appointed Melbournians) and fighting for their lives in a very difficult setting. We have fortunately, and with the generosity of many locals and a lot of plain hard work, created a solid position. GWS is doing OK while still struggling to broaden there fan base, but Brisbane will have to work hard to stay afloat, while GC needs a lot more help simply to survive and could probably do with a partial restoration of the housing benefits we used to have. Reviving and spreading Australian Rules in Queensland will be a long term job, and I don't get the impression that the AFL is even aware of the task.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

So just to confirm, we need to get through the first 6 picks without a bid for us to be able to keep our 3 picks in a row being 38,39 and 40?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yes! Got through the first 6! Good old Dewy looked after us at least! Lol.

2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

The AFL draft live feed on the site doesn’t mention our pick 26 , it says west coast hold pick 26? Shows our first pick at 33

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    The AFL draft live feed on the site doesn’t mention our pick 26 , it says west coast hold pick 26? Shows our first pick at 33

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We just traded it to them! What the...??? And for a 2019 third rounder... I don't get it!

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    We just traded it to them! What the...??? And for a 2019 third rounder... I don't get it!

There must be a second thing coming back to us surely...
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veteran Site Admin
    This sounds a bit dodgy - it surely must be one half of a trade, with the other half to be announced once Blakey has been bid on.